Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Six: A Gaping Homage To Brextus Propertius

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 19, 2019, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Jittlebags

Looks like a lot of the Honda workers aren't happy with Justin Tomlinson MP. Once to watch come the next GE.

pancreas

Fambo Number Mive

Thank you, most of it wasn't actually my idea, I just added the word Gaping. Most of the credit should go to Cuellar.

ToneLa

They - all businesses - won't leave?

Ascertained how...

I make me laugh with such hollow talk of faux-ascertainment. It was not ascertained!

Biggy has 81400 in his recent contacts

Tags: Gog anxiously waits by his iPhone, having stockpiled lagers in the fridge

Paul Calf

Copying this over because it was at the bottom and I'm interested in a response:

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 19, 2019, 09:25:09 AM
It'd be easier to accept that argument if brexit wasn't already used as an easy excuse by company bosses for either their own failure or tough decisions they'd get the blame for.

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 19, 2019, 11:15:40 AM
Would that still be the case if Brexit weren't happening? I thought Brexit was going to usher in a new era of transparency? What you're saying now seems to be that it isn't going to do that at all.

Flouncer

It did occur to me when I was reading about Flybmi going bust and they were citing brexit as part of the reason, when a company goes down they're going to try and blame anything other than their own mismanagement. I have no idea whether or not Brexit had anything to do with it in this particular instance, but in general, I wouldn't think some corporate slime coughing up a load of excuses is a particularly trustworthy source of information.

Paul Calf

FlyBMI have had it coming for a while. They've been struggling for about 10 years. Brexit probably didn't help though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I do resent companies like theirs continuing the carry on of everything being alright on the surface while beneath the legs are thrashing to keep their head above water. Something dishonest after a certain threshold is reached. When you read that they were still selling tickets so soon before, having no intention of honouring them , that's unethical.

Fortunately the tickets I saw to Munich were so fucking expensive I would have gone nowhere near them.

Paul Calf

Unfortunately an ongoing NDA prevents me from disclosing much about BMI, but suffice to say that the fuckers had it coming.

greencalx

A colleague pointed out that the margins in aviation are pretty miserable, so it only takes a few people to decide to hold off buying tickets until the government tells us what international travel arrangements are going to look like come April for a few to go out of business. The badly managed ones, no doubt, and maybe they would have gone anyway... Ruling out No Deal would go a long way to reducing the uncertainty and the financial casualties that come with it, but your hardcore Leavers are never going to accept that so why bothe

Zetetic

Quote from: greencalx on February 19, 2019, 03:18:34 PM
A colleague pointed out that the margins in aviation are pretty miserable,so it only takes a few people to decide to hold off buying tickets until the government tells us what international travel arrangements are going to look like come April for a few to go out of business.
And beyond April, perhaps we'll see this carry-on used an excuse to avoid any attempt to reign in the huge effective subsidies that aviation enjoys.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 19, 2019, 03:03:35 PM
Unfortunately an ongoing NDA prevents me from disclosing much about BMI, but suffice to say that the fuckers had it coming.

A bit off topic, but are NDAs actually enforcable? Eg if one party has broken the law (or even statutory regulations), they can't gag another party, that's perverting the course of justice. And anyway you can't contract someone to act illegally.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Darles Chickens on February 19, 2019, 04:00:49 PM
Fucking hell.

An estimated 100,000 Scots could lose their job in the event of a no-deal Brexit, MSPs have been told.

Seriously, just one benefit of this ongoing shitfest, please?  IndyRef2 surely a certainty now.

I would genuinely like to know how those 'estimates' were arrived at.

ToneLa

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on February 19, 2019, 04:45:19 PM

I applaud your roving mind for developing a single question!

Mr_Simnock

Mr_Simnock

100,000 Scots to lose their jobs? A red headed herring if you ask me

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on February 19, 2019, 04:45:19 PM

I guess we'll find out when they publish their paper later in the week.  Given that they're comparing the results of their modelling "to a level not far off that at the depths of the last recession", it's less easy to claim they're pulling big numbers out of thin air.  100,000 is a lot of people's lives to fuck up, and it's all so unnecessary.  I'm no proponent of secession, but I wish the poor bastards had voted their way out of the poxy UK before all this came along.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Darles Chickens on February 19, 2019, 05:15:04 PM
I guess we'll find out when they publish their paper later in the week.  Given that they're comparing the results of their modelling "to a level not far off that at the depths of the last recession", it's less easy to claim they're pulling big numbers out of thin air.  100,000 is a lot of people's lives to fuck up, and it's all so unnecessary.  I'm no proponent of secession, but I wish the poor bastards had voted the way out of the poxy UK before all this came along.

Well I don't think they are pulling them out of thin air, I would just like to know what particular industries could suffer the most losses for e.g.

thraxx

Fucking hell.

An estimated 100,000 Scots could lose their job in the event of a no-deal Brexit, MSPs have been told.

Seriously, just one benefit of this ongoing shitfest, please?  IndyRef2 surely a certainty now.

A loat ay guid boys loast they fuckin livelihoods, men wi a trade.

Fucking hell.

QuoteScottish constitutional relations secretary Mike Russell warned.

CASE. CLOSED.

The absolute fucking state of the circles remainers are spinning themselves in with Honda is hilarious

So when CEOs say they're doing something because of Brexit, or not beacause of Brexit, it's always because of Brexit?

Quote from: Replies From View on February 19, 2019, 08:33:56 AM
Who's the Honda Vice President and why must we take them at their word?

Brexit derangement syndrome is real

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 19, 2019, 07:21:58 PM
Honda Honda Honda Honda Honda - fuck Honda

I know, right??

Quote from: hamfist on February 18, 2019, 02:26:45 PM
uh-oh

More project fear as Honda apparently due to announce closure in Swindon. How bad does it have to get before someone puts the brakes on ?

Quote from: im barry bethel on February 18, 2019, 03:26:50 PM
Fucking hell!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 18, 2019, 06:51:03 PM
...as Honda leaves Swindon.

Laughing stock, if it wasn't so serious.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nice packet of Crunchy Nut there.... pretty expensive as I recall....

ToneLa

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 19, 2019, 07:26:48 PM
I know, right??

It's OK, he doesn't have any feelings. Racists don't have feelings, they're subhuman.