Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:45:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Six: A Gaping Homage To Brextus Propertius

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 19, 2019, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: Buelligan on March 16, 2019, 04:36:47 PM
though this time, next time, it will be different, we've changed, we're a new man.

Don't bet on it. To many Scottish voters, especially those passionate about independence, Corbyn has been a wet fart. High and mighty when it comes to overarching policy, but weak when it comes to Brexit. Most SNP voters consider their party a more effective opposition, and they're the majority up there.

Buelligan

I know that.  But Brexit is a thing where no one can find a thing that pleases all the people all the time and that's a fact. 

Whatever happens to the UK, there will be life after Brexit and I believe, that's where Corbyn's honesty and sincerity will protect the people if he gets the chance.

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: Buelligan on March 16, 2019, 04:52:44 PM
there will be life after Brexit and I believe, that's where Corbyn's honesty and sincerity will protect the people if he gets the chance.

What does 'getting the chance' look like, to you?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bryan Cocks

Hahaha, that Brexit march is a gifting in real time.

NoSleep

Rivalling turnouts for Owen Smith there. No ice cream van, though.

pancreas

I christened it the Rivers of Gammon March on facebook and I'm proud of that.

Quote from: pancreas on March 16, 2019, 05:32:49 PM
I christened it the Rivers of Gammon March on facebook and I'm proud of that.

I saw some wag had named it Gammonball Run which I find acceptable too.

Cuellar

HAAAAA who actually gives a shit about Brexit. No cunt.

ToneLa

So that's why Biggy hasn't been in this thread today!

Buelligan

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 16, 2019, 04:59:25 PM
What does 'getting the chance' look like, to you?

It looks like Prime Minister Corbyn.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: ToneLa on March 16, 2019, 09:38:20 PM
So that's why Biggy hasn't been in this thread today!

maybe he just wanted a Saturday free of online abuse from a bunch of self confirming sanctimonious pricks.

p.s for the little snowflakes - that was just a joke

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 16, 2019, 11:06:12 PM
maybe he just wanted a Saturday free of online abuse from a bunch of self confirming sanctimonious pricks.

Or maybe he finds his pet cheerleaders a bit nauseating after a while.  We may never know.

Don't worry that was just a joke!

Twit 2

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 16, 2019, 11:06:12 PM

Almost as a disturbing as biggy himself is anyone who would stick up for him or try and spin it so he's the victim of abuse. The torrent of diarrhoea he has shat out into these threads is something to behold. He's a person who doesn't give a fuck about anyone other than himself and has the audacity to belittle and mock posters on here who work in low incomes on the front line to help disadvantaged people. His small minded hypocrisy is so galling that I can't bear to post in this thread, except for moments like this when I'm tired and my judgement is poor. I suppose for my own sanity I have to put it in writing, so as to anchor myself in reality. It just seems so completely evident that he's an appallingly biased and deluded individual that it shouldn't need saying. Except when it does, occasionally.

Danger Man

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 16, 2019, 11:35:19 PM
Almost as a disturbing as biggy himself is anyone who would stick up for him

I like Biggy

He's like a glass of cold clear water against the muddy bullshit of most of the people on here

Except for all the conspiracy bullshit, obviously, where he's a complete mentalist.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you drink that same glass over and over again until it gets ever more concentrated piss

Twit 2

Quote from: Danger Man on March 16, 2019, 11:38:22 PM
I like Biggy

He's like a glass of cold clear water against the muddy bullshit of most of the people on here

Except for all the conspiracy bullshit, obviously, where he's a complete mentalist.

Heh. If I'm being charitable I'd put biggy's lack of empathy (and basic reading comprehension) down to ASD. At least he's got some redeeming qualities, like being occasionally funny. While I'm in my armchair, I'd say you have no redeeming qualities at all and come across as an actual psychopath.

Replies From View

He's like a glass of clear water

Only superficially clear though.  There are of course diseases in it that can't be seen with the naked eye.

Johnny Yesno

He's clearly an empathy void, it's true.

I can see why you like him, though. You both suffer the same delusion of thinking you're floating above it all without realising your judgement is completely compromised.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Where would Danger Man be if it weren't for the phrase "most people on here"?

greencalx

This week, then, eh lads?

A quick tour round the Sundays suggests that May is likely to bring a third vote on her deal to Parliament on Tuesday, this being the one referred to in Thursday's motion. If it passes, then job done. If not, a delay until after the upcoming Euro elections is on the cards. Apparently this is supposed to be so unpalatable to the Tory right that she expects them to cave with "I don't like it, but I have to go along with it".

Maybe this will even be successful - maybe they genuinely believe that Vienna provides a route out of the NI backstop, despite that most legal opinion seems to be against them (at least on the practicality of this). May needs 75 people to change her mind to squeak it through - that's all of her MPs who voted against last time. If the DUP moves, she'll in with a shout, if not it only takes a single vote in her ranks to kill the deal.

There will be amendments. The most obvious one is to the amend the passing of May's deal subject to a confirmatory referendum. Corbyn will whip in favour, May against. The ERGers of course will vote against, as will a few Labour malcontents. It then comes down to moderate Tories. Having seen that you can abstain on an amendment and keep your job, this may embolden a few. But perhaps these Tories would also object to delaying Brexit further than it needs to be. If a 2nd ref amendment does pass, I reckon it will be by a handful of votes. A 52:48 split would be delightful. The ERG et al would then vote against the main motion, if amended, but I guess if the amendment passes then the amended vote will pass too - even if May then whips against (which would be even more delightful).

The wording of a 2nd ref amendment would also be crucial. The PVs want it to be a straight May vs Remain question, but putting that in an amendment would be risky, as it would probably kill any Tory support in the lobbies. The ERG would never forgive them for it, and Tories aren't that stupid when it comes to threatening party unity. Probably then it will be "a confirmatory referendum with remain as an option", so as the door is left open to have no deal on the ballot as well. (Let's not rehearse the question of what the right question to ask is: I'm more interested in thinking through what Parliament might, in principle, agree to). Maybe there will be two amendments, one with more strict conditions than the other, and which could be voted on first.

Given my predictions so far, and the ongoing soap-opera nature of this whole process, I suspect these musings will all be blown out of the water by the end of the day. Still fun to think about the possibilities though.

pancreas

Sounds like a sensible analysis to me.

I guess Labour's own amendment will be a CU + SM based thing, which will fail, only due to party allegiance, and the 2nd ref amendment will be a backbench cross-party effort. Still doesn't seem to be much of an appetite for it, though.

greencalx

That seems to be consistent with what Corbyn is reported as saying today: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/17/brexit-labour-likely-to-back-public-vote-on-mays-deal-says-corbyn

Interesting that he says: "I'm enthusiastic about getting a deal with Europe which guarantees our future trading relationship, protects jobs and industries in this country – and I do think people should have a choice on that." Now Corbyn is never knowingly precise with his wording, so he might have meant something else, but to me that sounds like he will want to get a Labour CU/SM Brexit agreement in place and then put that to the country... I had understood his position was "Obtain, and proceed with a Labour Brexit; otherwise put it to the people."

greencalx

Oh, and an interesting codetta to that piece

Backers of the formal People's Vote campaign were furious with Wollaston and her allies in the breakaway Independent Group for forcing the issue [of a second referendum] – as they saw it, too soon.

PV/TINGE split already?

Replies From View

Quote from: greencalx on March 17, 2019, 12:19:37 PM
Oh, and an interesting codetta to that piece

PV/TINGE split already?

But first:  unite to attack Corbyn.

Mantle Retractor

Ongoing talks with the DUP have taken their toll on Dodds:

greencalx

Twatter rumour: 2nd ref amendment only mentions the May agreement, leaving other options open... That seems brave: perhaps the thinking is that the question itself would be the subject of a later debate?

Danger Man

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 17, 2019, 07:06:56 AM
I can see why you like him, though. You both suffer the same delusion of thinking you're floating above it all without realising your judgement is completely compromised.

Nah, that's me and The Boston Crab

(RRR etc)