Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Six: A Gaping Homage To Brextus Propertius

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 19, 2019, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Philip Hammond on Marr this morning, asked whether they'd offered the DUP more money in order to vote for the deal, gave a politician's answer - i.e., deflecting the question and very conspicuously not saying "No." So that pretty much confirms that the DUP have been offered another bung.

Replies From View

Sin Agog

New biggy-friendly bonus ep of Chapo Trap House is up about the history and formation of the E.U. and how Soshuliszt-unfriendly it is: http://podbay.fm/show/1097417804/e/1552657657?autostart=1

thugler

Love chapo but hated that episode. She didn't seem to have all that much knowledge and just took everything that guy said as gospel despite him failing to provide anything like a balanced take on the issues with leaving.

garnish

I'm a little bit sceptical of anyone claiming to explain why "the working class" voted Leave, as this fella did.  He didn't really seem to back up his conclusions with any evidence.

jobotic

Being a Remainer, I refer to them as the "lower orders".

ToneLa

Biggy will be up in 7 hours, parroting his tired shit in lieu of doing his job in some shithole I wouldn't approve of anyway;

I'll just drop a quote in to frame the current week (again)

QuoteMeanwhile the UK has a population of 65 million+ and only a quarter of the country voted to leave the EU.

(the quote is from a mate)

Sin Agog

Quote from: thugler on March 17, 2019, 07:12:31 PM
Love chapo but hated that episode. She didn't seem to have all that much knowledge and just took everything that guy said as gospel despite him failing to provide anything like a balanced take on the issues with leaving.

I get the vibe that Amber was getting a little piqued by some of his hyperbole near the end, but kept it professional.  I'd probably hold a permanent grudge against the E.U. 'n' all if I was a former higher-up of Syriza, although Yanis still grudgingly falls on the Remain side.

greencalx

Talk now that May won't bring her deal back to the commons if the dup don't come onside. What then? I guess the last part of Thursday's notion kicks in and she goes to Brussels asking for an extension. But what for? A second no confidence vote would surely follow but with dup/ tinge support it'll fall again, which again takes us nowhere.

Replies From View

Quote from: greencalx on March 18, 2019, 07:37:14 AM
Talk now that May won't bring her deal back to the commons if the dup don't come onside. What then? I guess the last part of Thursday's notion kicks in and she goes to Brussels asking for an extension. But what for? A second no confidence vote would surely follow but with dup/ tinge support it'll fall again, which again takes us nowhere.

An extension will need to be backed up by a meaningful change in the situation, I'm sure.  Either change of Tory leadership with new leader then rolling around in shit for fun, and/or a general election leading to a government that has a different mandate.  I can't see why Brussels would otherwise bother to give us an extension.

It is all funny at least.

Zetetic

Noting that it's not really up to "Brussels" - although I suppose Tusk, Barnier and the like might advise the Council. Pedantry, I know, but it's worth emphasising that its the other member states motives that are at work here.

greencalx

Well, yes, but it's just a shorthand like "Westminster".

Alberon

I think May's threat of not bringing back the vote a third time is part of Project Fear part 94 directed at the Leavers. "Vote for my deal or face No Brexit! Wooooo!"

The DUP seem to be holding back on the totally reasonable position that nothing about the backstop has actually changed. The ERGs sounds like they're about to vote for it because a bad deal is better than not leaving.

Still don't think May has the numbers though so a long postponement of Brexit seems likely.

Cuellar

jobotic

I read the DUP were up for it (presumably May's filled their boots from the magic money tree again) and JRM seems to be saying they'll do whatever the DUP do, as he has before. Why is that? Bigots together?

Alberon

My MP, John Redwood, is still opposed. We're approaching this from opposite directions, but it is still downright weird to be agreeing with him about anything.

Jittlebags

Quote from: jobotic on March 18, 2019, 11:35:03 AM
I read the DUP were up for it (presumably May's filled their boots from the magic money tree again) and JRM seems to be saying they'll do whatever the DUP do, as he has before. Why is that? Bigots together?

It's a face saving thing for the Mogster isn't it. He needs a ladder to climb down, and the ladder is the DUP.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 18, 2019, 11:52:00 AM
It's a face saving thing for the Mogster isn't it. He needs a ladder to climb down, and the ladder is the DUP.

Well as he is climbing down I will kick him in the balls, so...

Buelligan

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 18, 2019, 11:52:00 AM

There's a massive overhang on Arlene Foster.  I think we should give him as much rope as he wants.

Jittlebags

Phone the fire brigade and say there's a moggie stuck in a tree.

Jittlebags

So the French do have a sense of humour!

'France's minister for European affairs says she has named her cat "Brexit" on account of its indecisive nature.

Nathalie Loiseau, the French's government's lead in EU exit talks, told Le Journal du Dimanche that her feline friend meows loudly to be let out each morning, but then refuses to go outside when she opens the door.'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 18, 2019, 02:03:32 PM
So the French do have a sense of humour!

'France's minister for European affairs says she has named her cat "Brexit" on account of its indecisive nature.

Nathalie Loiseau, the French's government's lead in EU exit talks, told Le Journal du Dimanche that her feline friend meows loudly to be let out each morning, but then refuses to go outside when she opens the door.'

Precisement.

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: Alberon on March 18, 2019, 11:30:47 AM
Still don't think May has the numbers though so a long postponement of Brexit seems likely.

I read that 22 MPs have written to the Daily Telegraph describing no deal as a "good deal", so she definitely doesn't have the numbers in her own party. It could come down to how many Labour MPs rebel.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 18, 2019, 02:19:31 PM
I read that 22 MPs have written to the Daily Telegraph describing no deal as a "good deal", so she definitely doesn't have the numbers in her own party. It could come down to how many Labour MPs rebel.

But the MPs have spoken (twice) - she doesn't respect democracy if she takes it to a third vote. No DEAL means No DEAL.

Buelligan

I think they should vote until they get it right.  I don't see what's wrong with that.

Cuellar

Bryan Cocks

Bercow bossing it in the HoC now - basically saying the government won't be allowed a third vote unless it's substantially different from the last one.

Alberon

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 18, 2019, 03:49:03 PM
Bercow bossing it in the HoC now - basically saying the government won't be allowed a third vote unless it's substantially different from the last one.

But they can't substantially change it without EU agreement.

So, it's gone.

May will need to ask for long postponement of Brexit and a new deal needs to be sought. But the long gap may also mean the stasis in British politics is broken and May is forced out.

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: Alberon on March 18, 2019, 03:53:09 PM
But they can't substantially change it without EU agreement.

So, it's gone.

I tend to agree. So headlines demonising Bercow for 'destroying Brexit' will surely be incoming. Even though he was just following precedent.

greencalx

Would putting it to a public vote be a "substantial change"?

And isn't there something about "the same session" - so dissolving Parliament could be a way to get round this?