Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:36:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Six: A Gaping Homage To Brextus Propertius

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 19, 2019, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 19, 2019, 10:37:29 AM
You should bear in mind that Huxley was a eugenicist and Brave New World was originally not written as a work of cacotopian fiction, but as a description of a sane society.

I find that hard to believe as my reading of it was far more ambivalent than its reputation suggested. It gets right to the heart of 'What is point?', and it has stuck with me more than 1984 has as a result. I've not read Revisited, however.

Howj Begg

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1107988976026222593

Is it wrong to laugh at this? It's laughing on the edge of the volcano that's about about to dump on all of us, yeah, but this is like observing the first couple of years of the Major gov, ERM and all.

1. Cabinet sources say PM is writing letter to EU today asking for extension - frustration that she is going to ask for end date of June 30th, with proviso of up delay of up to 2 years

Laura Kuenssberg

2.  One source says there was no agreement in the room, another source furious that it seems PM avoiding making an actual decision again about the option she would like to take but wants option of short delay to try to find way of having another go with her deal

Laura Kuenssberg

3. Leadsom said to 'tear into' colleauges, saying 'this is now a Remain Cabinet, not a Brexit Cabinet' - and argued for leaving without a final deal at end of June

5:55 AM - 19 Mar 2019

BlodwynPig

colleauges? is that French for shepherd dog whistle?

olliebean

Quote2.  One source says there was no agreement in the room, another source furious that it seems PM avoiding making an actual decision again about the option she would like to take but wants option of short delay to try to find way of having another go with her deal

Laura Kuenssberg

The EU are unlikely to let her have a delay on that basis, surely?

Alberon

Quote from: Howj Begg on March 19, 2019, 01:23:00 PM
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1107988976026222593

Is it wrong to laugh at this? It's laughing on the edge of the volcano that's about about to dump on all of us, yeah, but this is like observing the first couple of years of the Major gov, ERM and all.

For government chaos I think this is unprecedented. Kuenssberg goes on to quote an insider as saying it was like the last days of Rome. And there is the PM again unwilling to state her opinion.

It's all fucked.

greencalx

I predict a confidence vote in which May is saved by the TINGE.

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 19, 2019, 01:29:54 PM
colleauges? is that French for shepherd dog whistle?

No, it's a type of glue popularised by Jules Verne and later used by Jacques Costeau for peripatetic wetsuit alterations.

jobotic

They don't come much more loathsome than Leadsom, do they?

Speaking as a father.

Howj Begg

Quote from: jobotic on March 19, 2019, 02:08:19 PM
They don't come much more loathsome than Leadsom, do they?

Speaking as a father.

Heh. Her achievement in making me feel sorry for T May is quite something, and May's relative decency in that episode is still pretty pointed.

She does come across as the worst kind of self righteous passive aggressive shires Tory in the commons, her endless petty swipes at the speaker for example.

greencalx

Apparently May thinks it's "parliament vs the people", with parliament being the laughing stock.

From where I'm sitting its more like parliament and the people v the government, with the government being the laughing stock.

Paul Calf

Quote from: greencalx on March 19, 2019, 01:50:20 PM

I think that's probably why there won't be one. I hope otherwise though.

ToneLa

Quote from: greencalx on March 19, 2019, 02:28:30 PM
Apparently May thinks it's "parliament vs the people", with parliament being the laughing stock.

From where I'm sitting its more like parliament and the people v the government, with the government being the laughing stock.

I think it goes even further
The government against the cabinet
Some of the cabinet against the PM!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 19, 2019, 10:37:29 AM
You should bear in mind that Huxley was a eugenicist and Brave New World was originally not written as a work of cacotopian fiction, but as a description of a sane society. As the implications of what had happened in Germany in the 1930s and 1940s permeated the public consciousness, Huxley quickly published Brave New World Revisited to 'set the record straight'. Obviously that's not to say that his work should be discounted, but it should be read with these facts in mind.

Also read Island (or don't- it's not great) and you'll see how this work of "utopian fiction" comes across as his great big idea for a society where people are still oppressed, but in a nice way. There's still mind control via drugs, and people thought to be prone to violence having some sort of medical intervention to prevent it, and reproduction via artificial insemination. It's a long time since I've read it, but I got the impression that it was supposed to make the reader think "Wow, this man's a genius, he should be President of the World!" rather than "Urrrrggghhh, this is actually a bit sinister"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: greencalx on March 19, 2019, 01:50:20 PM

I bet they are hoping it doesn't happen because nothing would underline their complete redundance more than failing to bring down "broken politics" by propping it up to save themselves from electoral defeat and oblivion.

Jittlebags

Going well, this. Is now the time to stock up on the Fray Bentos ?

Alberon

Looks like May's plan is to get a delay until the end of June to allow some more attempts to push the deal through. And if that fails a 21 month delay would kick in.

Paul Calf

Fuck's sake. She's like a shit Energiser bunny*.

*TOPICAL AS FUCK

ToneLa

She won't lead the Tories into the 2022 election.

So it's either this year or 2021

gib

ToneLa

Quote from: gib on March 19, 2019, 04:03:08 PM
Yes, because she always keeps her word.

Well her words were "I will not lead this party into the 2022 general election" so I was covering the YOU'RE TALKING SHITE MAY element

Ah easy element to cover, admittedly

I reckon May. (for an election, not who I want to be PM)

Alberon

If the delay goes beyond the end of June and extends for more months, or years, then May will be removed. The only reason the cabinet allow her to continue now is there is no time to replace her. But there will be if a long delay kicks in.

She gets her deal through in the next three months or she is, finally, done.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Alberon on March 19, 2019, 04:10:25 PM
If the delay goes beyond the end of June and extends for more months, or years, then May will be removed. The only reason the cabinet allow her to continue now is there is no time to replace her. But there will be if a long delay kicks in.

I think that's most likely. It would probably avert a vote of no confidence as well.

ToneLa

I just think about the method in the short term. Her own party triggering a leadership challenge takes us into next year.

What if she wins?

Corbo should, maybe not yet, but soon, table a vote of no confidence in the government.

Likely won't remove her. Would even a general election?

I think she currently gets to choose when she leaves.

I really don't see her staying years. I see some kludge of Brexit getting through or even no deal then BAM: I HAVE DELIVERED THE IMPOSSIBLE

I mean, who here reckons ex PMs rip themselves to shreds morally? Nope, it's rest on your laurels shite

Jittlebags

I imagine her stubourness probable extends to sit down toilet adventures. You can visualise her tackling a particularly recalcitrant log.

Fambo Number Mive

ToneLa

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 19, 2019, 04:34:44 PM
#IStandWithBercow is trending on Twitter.

Good
He's right. The criticism he got for stopping an already failed bill is preposterous

Also

BAD
Fuck twitter

As ToneLa says, the mechanics for this are rather difficult. No no confidence vote within the party until December, Tories very, very unlikely to bring down their own government, May doesn't look the sort to voluntarily step down.

We're in unprecedented times. I've never seen a government so utterly paralysed and a parliament so split that it can do nothing about it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 19, 2019, 04:50:18 PM
As ToneLa says, the mechanics for this are rather difficult. No no confidence vote within the party until December, Tories very, very unlikely to bring down their own government, May doesn't look the sort to voluntarily step down.

We're in unprecedented times. I've never seen a government so utterly paralysed and a parliament so split that it can do nothing about it.

If May looks like she will revoke A50 or delay Brexit for three years the Tories will be so busy imploding that the no-confidence vote will be a formality.

For now she may scrape through if it looks like a short delay with No deal still as an option.

Hopefully this is hurting the Tories big time regardless.