Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 11:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Six: A Gaping Homage To Brextus Propertius

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 19, 2019, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: Z on March 23, 2019, 06:22:38 PM
I had a wander down to have a look see but didn't really get the point of it all.

Mutual affirmation.

NoSleep

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 23, 2019, 06:11:59 PM
Right, but it's all very flimsy and unscientific.

As opposed to parroting the old "everyone becomes more conservative as they get older" chestnut?

Replies From View

Quote from: greencalx on March 23, 2019, 06:15:00 PM
I wish more people would stop listening to people saying "Labour's position is unclear" and look at their actual fucking position before shooting their mouths off.

They should see what happens to their account, I reckon.

thugler

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on March 23, 2019, 06:12:36 PM
From the Guardian today.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/23/brexit-what-next-critical-week-indicative-votes-revoking-article-50

I wish Corbyn would get his act together.

Which ever is achievable out of 2nd ref and very soft brexit will happen. It's really irrelevant what the labour party position is as it depends on what is possible.

biggytitbo

Quote from: greencalx on March 23, 2019, 06:15:00 PM
I wish more people would stop listening to people saying "Labour's position is unclear" and look at their actual fucking position before shooting their mouths off.

Corbyn was wisely as far away as possible from this middle class shit fest today, hundreds of miles away  campaigning about something none of the 'social media influencers' are talking about - local elections in unfashionable parts of the country. That's why he's remains our best chance of change and Tom Watson remains the enemy within.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: thugler on March 23, 2019, 08:34:41 PM
Which ever is achievable out of 2nd ref and very soft brexit will happen. It's really irrelevant what the labour party position is as it depends on what is possible.

Why are you so optimistic about the outcome? What's going to change?

Alberon

Looks like May is digging in and refusing to quit. Threatening Tory MPs with a general election if they keep protesting. She won't quit, yet can't bring MV3 to Parliament. It's all getting even messier and we've only got a couple of weeks to sort out what we're doing.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on March 23, 2019, 09:34:03 PM
Looks like May is digging in and refusing to quit. Threatening Tory MPs with a general election if they keep protesting. She won't quit, yet can't bring MV3 to Parliament. It's all getting even messier and we've only got a couple of weeks to sort out what we're doing.

It's like discovering that you are standing in a restaurant kitchen with your cock in a baguette, and all the final flourishes are being added before you are suddenly whisked out into the restaurant to be eaten.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I saw a bit of Tom Watson's speech. Absolutely shite, as if some people really think he should lead Labour.

greencalx

Quote from: Alberon on March 23, 2019, 09:34:03 PM

Thing is, I think it's important for opponents of the WA to actually get MV3 to Parliament, so that they can then amend it and get it passed on the basis of an amendment. I think this is the only way to tie her hands. The indicative vote process might, or might not, be helpful in achieving this - it might give some sense of what amendments might pass. But somehow I think MPs have to give the impression of supporting May's deal so that it can be put before the house, and then vote in large enough numbers for something else on the day.

Fuck knows how you coordinate that, but there are only 650 MPs and they do all talk to each other a lot.

thugler

Surely they just need to figure out which of 2nd ref or soft brex will get through parliament. Or better still, just vote on 2nd ref, if it doesn't pass people can happily vote for soft brex knowing it's the best remaining option. 100% one of these will pass and nothing else.

jobotic

Apparently Smith (I assume Iain Duncan) just threw a wobbler on Marr. Anyone watch it?

Quote from: Z on March 23, 2019, 06:22:38 PM
so did anyone go to the march today? I had a wander down to have a look see but didn't really get the point of it all.

So you decided to leave?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jobotic on March 24, 2019, 10:35:13 AM
Apparently Smith (I assume Iain Duncan) just threw a wobbler on Marr. Anyone watch it?

Size of wobbler?

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 23, 2019, 08:43:08 PM

Corbyn was wisely as far away as possible from this middle class shit fest today, hundreds of miles away  campaigning about something none of the 'social media influencers' are talking about - local elections in unfashionable parts of the country. That's why he's remains our best chance of change and Tom Watson remains the enemy within.

It was hardly just middle class people marching.  People from all walks of life and across the political spectrum turned up, basically everyone apart from Brexit wonks like May, Farage,  etc.  Corbyn's no show yesterday was telling.

The reason for his absence given that he might "alienate" some of the people he wanted to "bring on board" is just a weak excuse. By that logic those with whom a politician disagrees should never be challenged.  He should have been there, plain and simple.  But instead he was missing in action, yet again. 

Corbyn and the hard left loonies have long been every bit as Eurosceptic 
as the right. They're just less honest about it. 

ToneLa

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on March 24, 2019, 12:28:39 PM
It was hardly just middle class people marching.  People from all walks of life and across the political spectrum turned up, basically everyone apart from Brexit wonks like May, Farage,  etc.  Corbyn's no show yesterday was telling.

The reason for his absence given that he might "alienate" some of the people he wanted to "bring on board" is just a weak excuse. By that logic those with whom a politician disagrees should never be challenged.  He should have been there, plain and simple.  But instead he was missing in action, yet again. 

garnish

It was entirely middle class people marching, generally liberals but also some conservatives from metropolitan areas.

Paul Calf

Do you think that perhaps the overrepresentation of the middle classes was related to their ability to afford and have the time  to travel to London for a march?

ToneLa

Am on dole. I'd march.

But it would have cost me nearly a ton to get to London on short notice

garnish

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 24, 2019, 01:02:02 PM
Do you think that perhaps the overrepresentation of the middle classes was related to their ability to afford and have the time  to travel to London for a march?

No

jobotic

Quote from: garnish on March 24, 2019, 12:51:16 PM
It was entirely middle class people marching, generally liberals but also some conservatives from metropolitan areas.

Yousaid  that about the NHS marches and that was totally untrue.

How is not alienating a massive swathe of his voter base a weak excuse for not showing up to the March? Revoking article 50 is not Labour's policy, it would have been weird if he was there.

I don't get why some remain types can't understand that if Corbyn actually backed remain, it would decrease the chance of it happening.

Danger Man

He saw the non-white person on the march and thought it was Chuka Umunna, so ran away.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: garnish on March 24, 2019, 12:51:16 PM

Nope, there was a broad mix of people on the March yesterday.  Not all remain voters are middle class, although they do tend to be better educated than those who voted to leave.

garnish

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on March 24, 2019, 02:31:22 PM
Nope, there was a broad mix of people on the March yesterday.  Not all remain voters are middle class, although they do tend to be better educated than people who voted for Brexit.

Incorrect and fascinating that you keep repeating this without any proof.

Quote from: garnish on March 24, 2019, 02:32:41 PM
Incorrect and fascinating that you keep repeating this without any proof.

You used the word "entirely" when you made your initial statement, hence the onus of proof is on you really.  Some of my old school friends would all class themselves as working class, and they where present yesterday, for example.  So it wasn't entirely middle class people.  You are demonstrably wrong in your generalisation.

garnish

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on March 24, 2019, 02:37:02 PM
You used the word "entirely" and made the initial statement, the onus of proof is on you really.  Some of my old school friends would all class themselves as working class, and they where present yesterday, for example.  So it wasn't entirely working class people, and you are demonstrably wrong in your generalisation.

I get it, you made a big statement, now you have to walk it back because you're not able to support it with any evidence.  For someone from the supposed 'educated' side of the argument, you're being remarkably irrational about this though.

How about you pipe down and learn a lesson from this episode.