Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:22:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Six: A Gaping Homage To Brextus Propertius

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 19, 2019, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Quote from: greencalx on March 25, 2019, 09:51:14 AM
Update - Fox has said the government will ignore IVs and plough on with a May deal vs No deal choice regardless.

This is completely mad and yet totally unsurprising. May's approach every time is to ignore everything and just stay on the same course.

QuoteGovernment has also dropped their own plan to hold an IV-like process. I think this pretty much guarantees passage of the Letwin (not Grieve, sorry) amendment now. Govt seems to have forgotten that MV3 if/when it happens is amendable, and presumably those amendments are binding (MV is a legislative motion? Must be, because otherwise May could plough on with her deal regardless, right?).

Letwin and co saying the IV process could take a long time. Sounds like they're trying to stall the whole process, rather than reach a decisive conclusion, which is a bit weak. That said, deciding the entire Brexit strategy in a day, when we've had three years, is perhaps a bit silly.

Assuming we don't go no deal Brexit by mistake it seems to be heading to a long extension. But, as you say, trying to predict anything is virtually impossible.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Alberon on March 25, 2019, 09:59:02 AM

Assuming we don't go no deal Brexit by mistake it seems to be heading to a long extension.

Which the EU will not allow without solid plans. May has allowed herself to be manipulated into pushing Parliament towards a disorderly Brexit.

jobotic

Johnson talking about bottling it - a man with everything to gain and nothing to lose from a no deal brexit, knowing that those he sees as his subjects will pay. Vermin.

Reminds me of when Gove was screaming "coward!" at MPs that didn't vote to invade Syria.

imitationleather

I can't see May doing that making MPs at all happy with her if what Fox says is true. They're already fuming after last week.

She is starting to come across as completely unhinged.

DrGreggles

Can they even have a vote between 2 things that have already been voted down in the House?

Alberon

Quote from: imitationleather on March 25, 2019, 10:02:56 AM
I can't see May doing that making MPs at all happy with her if what Fox says is true. They're already fuming after last week.

Actually she is. I mean, what's her gameplan? For months it seems to be nothing more than surviving the day with her still in office. And she doesn't even seem to be doing that now.

Has she become detached from reality? Did she spent all last night praying and whipping herself to get God to help her?

What actually is the procedure if she really did go doolally?

pancreas

There must be an increasing sense amongst Tory MPs that they cannot now just let her win. Because if she does, she'll never leave. She'll be crowing at the despatch box about how she was right all along. Does feel like the Letwin amendment will pass.

Captain Z

Fully expecting May to announce she is heading to Brussels for further negotiations.

Alberon

Quote from: Captain Z on March 25, 2019, 10:55:35 AM
Fully expecting May to announce she is heading to Brussels for further negotiations.

If she did I strongly suspect the EU would switch off the lights and hide behind the sofa until she went away again.

Buelligan

I hope they pop her in an oubliette and we can all pretend none of this ever happened.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Captain Z on March 25, 2019, 10:55:35 AM

It would be great if the EU had a prepared statement of "No you're fucking not'."

Buelligan

I'd like to see it interpreted using flamenco and mime, we should celebrate the Arts more.

Alberon

Itv reporting May will press on with MV3 tomorrow.

Flouncer

What are they claiming is different about it this time, in order for the speaker to allow it?

Alberon

No idea. Number 10 saying it is not definitely confirmed yet. May is meeting the almighty DUP this lunchtime so things might become clearer later (hah!).

biggytitbo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-24/varadkar-confident-of-keeping-border-invisible-in-no-deal-brexit

QuoteIrish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar signaled he's confident some special arrangement can be found to keep the border in Ireland invisible in a no-deal Brexit

Confirmation yet again that we've spent months going around in circles over nothing.

Cuellar

I doubt saying "sorry we'll have to throw up the barricades again lads" would go down well.

Zetetic

And it will involve commitments by the UK regarding customs and standards (just as the other no-deal plans by the other member states have).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on March 25, 2019, 10:02:56 AM

You sound like a May apologist - she's been unhinged since Day 1 - it was clear to see (to every cynicist)

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 25, 2019, 01:11:18 PM
You sound like a May apologist - she's been unhinged since Day 1 - it was clear to see (to every cynicist)

In a way, you have to ask yourself if imitationleather actually wants no deal Brexit, based on his love for Theresa May.

imitationleather

Sometimes I think I'm the only genuine leaver on this site.

BlodwynPig

I know you are not a May apologist, but please if you are sticking a knife in someone, do it properly and with finality.

Alberon

DUP not budging and MV3 seemingly not on the cards for this week.

And still May sits there with no real challenge to her leadership from her MPs.

Fucks sake.

chveik

greencalx

Quote from: Flouncer on March 25, 2019, 12:25:42 PM
What are they claiming is different about it this time, in order for the speaker to allow it?

My feeling is that the fact a parliamentary vote is mentioned in the EU's extension will be a sufficient change to the context of the MV that Bercow would allow it.

Paul Calf

There's not much they can do is there? She's safe from leadership challenges until December. Unless they want to trigger a no-con in the government.

Alberon

Jeremy Cunt wanted MV3 on 10th April. That idea was cut down quickly in cabinet.

Captain Z

There's already a bunch of neo-cons in the government.