Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:31:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Six: A Gaping Homage To Brextus Propertius

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 19, 2019, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

biggytitbo

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 05, 2019, 12:48:20 PM
I meant actual examples, not a prediction from 11 years ago.

The Lisbon treaty was ratified in 2009, it's an example of how the EU sanctifies its policies in legally binding international treaties that are virtually impossible to change. That's not how the UK should be governed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The green/yellow pallette is well chosen, and the leopard shoes are almost cruel.

I just wish this cruelty was attached to the merciless inhuman behaviour she demonstrated as home secretary.

Cuellar

Can't see an entry wound - tread careful Jeremy, it could be a trap like in that film Saw (was it Saw where the guy you think it dead in the corner gets up at the end? Or the Hannibal one where he kills the guard and wears his face and then sits up in the Ambulance. Is that Hannibal, or Red Dragon? Can't remember).

Jumblegraws

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 05, 2019, 01:04:09 PM

The Lisbon treaty was ratified in 2009, it's an example of how the EU sanctifies its policies in legally binding international treaties that are virtually impossible to change. That's not how the UK should be governed.
So what specifically about Lisbon supports the cumbersomely broad stance you're taking? Because on the face of it, a treaty that amends a number of articles of previous treaties rather kicks your "enshrined in immutable constitution" stuff in the bollocks.

Funnily enough, as I mentioned on one of the threads a while back, the ECJ's interpretation of the Charter of Fundamental Rights is actually an area where I think an EU Institution truly in danger of going all competence-creep. I'm guessing the subject hasn't been covered in the articles/blogposts/subreddits you've used to patch together your messy opinion on subject. I would've thought you'd be all over that one otherwise.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 05, 2019, 02:56:29 PM
So what specifically about Lisbon supports the cumbersomely broad stance you're taking? Because on the face of it, a treaty that amends a number of articles of previous treaties rather kicks your "enshrined in immutable constitution" stuff in the bollocks.

Ahh I'm glad we have an expert on the Lisbon treaty in, as presumably you have read the thing from cover to cover as its the constitution of your EU that you love so much. I'm not such an expert as you, but beyond its nature as a massive powergrab, I know it also follows the trajectory of other EU treaties in repeatedly laying down immutable principles relating to the 'liberalisation of services' and 'level playing field competition' - eg Thatcherism. Specifics aside, I don't believe domestic UK policy should be constrained by treaties - whatever they are, that our elected representatives cannot realistically change, its anthethical to the British political tradition.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 05, 2019, 03:43:23 PM
Specifics aside, I don't believe domestic UK policy should be constrained by treaties - whatever they are, that our elected representatives cannot realistically change, its anthethical to the British political tradition.
Our elected officials are constrained by constitutional convention whether or not it's enshrined in treaty, as many a Leaver find out to their chagrin after Gina Miller took the government to court (not saying you were one, I don't think I was around to see your reaction to the case). The most compelling (but still unconvincing, ultimately) argument I've heard over the years against codified constitutions is that it makes citizens overly-dependent on the judiciary (as opposed to Parliament) for the enforcement of fundamental rights. Constraint on policy is a shakier angle, as ever it's a broad notion but I would have thought oversight of the executive was conducive to democracy, regardless of how antithetical it is to British political tradition.

Anyway, I'm feeling forum dweller's remorse over how personal I've let my replies to you get, so sorry about that.