Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:14:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Six: A Gaping Homage To Brextus Propertius

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 19, 2019, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 25, 2019, 09:47:58 AM
It's a counterpoint to the myth that the EU is a progressive internationalist body, when the reality is it's as protectionist and racist as anything we'd criticise the tories or Trump for.

biggyfullofshitbo

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 25, 2019, 09:47:58 AM
It's a counterpoint to the myth that the EU is a progressive internationalist body, when the reality is it's as protectionist and racist as anything we'd criticise the tories or Trump for.

Nah, you wouldn't criticize Trump for it.

By they way, how come it's okay for the Greeks to max out their credit card then? Austerity only good for the British?

Paul Calf

EU IS BAD COS IMAGRATION
We must get out of the noeliberel EU to protect our borders and our national intarist

EU IS BAD COS OF BORDERS
We must get out of EU because it wants to pretect it's bordars and its members intirost

Zetetic

Back to lying about tariffs then?

I don't believe that the UK would advocate for no-borders-now as a member state - I think being a member state is a meaningful step towards fewer borders and that the UK could advocate and demonstrate a meaningfully better policy towards the refugee crisis inside the EU.

Leaving raises some more borders for people (but not capital) and gives more credibility to those in the EU arguing for "Fortress Europe".

I can recognise both that freedom of.movement for people should be a universal right and that we can only extend it gradually because of the externalities it produces.

biggytitbo

Enough of this whataboutery Paul - my argument against the EU has never being about immigration anyway so your attempts at a diversion don't really work, do you think it's good that the EU are trying to set up a system of detention camps in African countries using bribes to split the solidarity of Africa as a whole, which the AU describe as being akin to modern day slave markets? Do you think that's good or not? Why not just say so?

Zetetic

Whatever your argument is, we're leaving in order to erect a barrier to human movement.

That's the government's top selling point for withdrawal, that was a major focus of the Leave campaign (along with opposing geographic redistribution I guess) and that's the closest thing to a common red line across Brexit advocates.

The meaning of Leaving has been fixed by these things, whether you agree with them or not.

Zetetic

And in second place to ending FoM is the selling point that we'll be able to lower tariffs and regulatory barriers - not to Zambia or Venezuela or Mozambique - but to the United States, Australia and China.

Zetetic

The more you think about the many and varied problems with the EU in the context of Brexit - both in procedure and the policy it produces - it is remarkable that leaving looks set to deepen most of them here and exacerbate most of them there.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Zetetic on February 25, 2019, 10:06:14 AM
Back to lying about tariffs then?

I don't believe that the UK would advocate for no-borders-now as a member state - I think being a member state is a meaningful step towards fewer borders and that the UK could advocate and demonstrate a meaningfully better policy towards the refugee crisis inside the EU.

Leaving raises some more borders for people (but not capital) and gives more credibility to those in the EU arguing for "Fortress Europe".

I can recognise both that freedom of.movement for people should be a universal right and that we can only extend it gradually because of the externalities it produces.

I seriously doubt the road to your Utopia is a bureaucratic trading block designed to grease the wheels of big business.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 25, 2019, 10:33:54 AM

I seriously doubt the road to your Utopia is a bureaucratic trading block designed to grease the wheels of big business.

And what's the road to your utopia?

Johnny Yesno

biggytitbo

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 25, 2019, 10:52:59 AM
And what's the road to your utopia?

A more responsive, representative and democratic system of governance.

Paul Calf

Which is presumably why you've been a lifelong advocate of proportional  representation and municipalism?

No?

Just Brexit?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 25, 2019, 11:11:39 AM

Are you channelling the Independent Group now?

ToneLa

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 25, 2019, 11:11:39 AM

Last time you went into how it went no deeper than buzzword-laden longing

Worth pointing out that neither the Tories nor Labour are promising a more responsive, representative and democratic system of governance.

Cuellar

I'm hoping for a similarly robust campaign to fuck the House of Lords off. If we get that then maybe Brexit won't have been entirely pointless.

I'm sure the likes of Rees-Mogg, Gove, Bojo, are desperate to get rid of it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 25, 2019, 01:04:54 PM
Worth pointing out that neither the Tories nor Labour are promising a more responsive, representative and democratic system of governance.

To be fair, Labour are promising a more responsive, representative and democratic system of governance of Labour, which is a start. In fact, Corbyn likes to point out that Labour is funded by members, meaning its policies aren't bought by corporate donors.

Paul Calf

Which would be great if the Labour Party hadn't just been utterly sidelined in the Commons by Tory and New Labour machinations.

NoSleep

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 25, 2019, 03:37:11 PM
Which would be great if the Labour Party hadn't just been utterly sidelined in the Commons by Tory and New Labour machinations.

Define "utterly". All those Labour members who raised the majorities of the defectors won't be campaigning for them next time there's an election.

Paul Calf

Quote from: NoSleep on February 25, 2019, 03:48:30 PM
next time there's an election.

That's the trick isn't it? Commons now has a healthy majority of MPs who have a powerful incentive to prevent a General Election at all costs.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 25, 2019, 03:25:10 PM
To be fair, Labour are promising a more responsive, representative and democratic system of governance of Labour, which is a start. In fact, Corbyn likes to point out that Labour is funded by members, meaning its policies aren't bought by corporate donors.

Labour need FPTP as much as the Tories do so I wouldn't hold your breath.

NoSleep

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 25, 2019, 04:00:08 PM
That's the trick isn't it? Commons now has a healthy majority of MPs who have a powerful incentive to prevent a General Election at all costs.

But Corbyn is still the Leader of the Opposition; which is roughly the same amount he was "sidelined" as the week before. Who said it would be easy?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 25, 2019, 01:04:54 PM

Having huge swathes of governance back up for grabs after being off the table for decades will force politicians to engage with the public whether they like it or not, and it won't just be PR and TIG style platitudes, it will be fundamental matters of substance because suddenly they will be directly responsible for it again.

ToneLa

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 25, 2019, 04:09:26 PM

Having huge swathes of governance back up for grabs after being off the table for decades will force politicians to engage with the public whether they like it or not, and it won't just be PR and TIG style platitudes, it will be fundamental matters of substance because suddenly they will be directly responsible for it again.

Explain how thx

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 25, 2019, 04:00:40 PM
Labour need FPTP as much as the Tories do so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Tbh, when almost the entirety of the media is biased towards different flavours of right wing ideology, it doesn't matter which voting system you use.

Johnny Yesno

Having huge swathes of governance back up for grabs

Please tell me where I will find these huge swathes of governance.

Paul Calf

Quote from: NoSleep on February 25, 2019, 04:03:43 PM
But Corbyn is still the Leader of the Opposition; which is roughly the same amount he was "sidelined" as the week before. Who said it would be easy?

He's the leader of an opposition with no leverage whatsoever because of electoral calculus. It's time to stop denying this and work out what to do about it. The only option I can see is a second referendum to break the deadlock but I really don't think that's any kind of solution.

No, they'll just put their ideas for those swathes into their next election manifestos, if at all, and then pass them into law via parliament as they do already.

Nobody's doing referendums over anything of any substance ever again after what happened last time unless they are legally obliged to.