Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The greatest moment in The Day Today

Started by kalowski, February 19, 2019, 04:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghughesarch

All of it.
But I have a special fondness for 'bouncing elephantiasis woman destroys central Portsmouth. Happy now?'
Edit: New page cunt. At last.

Bennett Brauer

Same here. Especially the spot-on Michael Buerk intonation of "Portsmouth".

samadriel

Quote from: the on February 19, 2019, 09:19:02 PM
The funniest thing about that is how the end of the desk detaches, and the Foreign Office minister gets immediately jettisoned as a triviality, despite being instrumental in the war starting in the first place.

There is this implication that the entire news organisation is primed 24/7 for the outbreak of war, deployable instantly.

Yeah, I was thinking of the unfolding of the studio after Chris starts the war.  "I'll be reporting from inside the fight!"

Ferris

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 19, 2019, 04:38:46 PM
That bit in the bomb dog sketch with the footage of police guarding the explosion site, where Morris is commentating that police "told the public to clear off" and the officer is doing an extremely patronising cuntish gesture right up in the civilian's face.

Coogan doing the confused bystander voxpop doing a re-enactment (with slow motion pistol shooting) has always been a favourite of mine: "MOOOVE!"

The Bureau is very difficult to beat though, everything about it is excellent. "Pack your things - you're ahht!"

See also Coogan "IS THIS COOL? IS THIS COOL? ARE THEY COOL?"

Just realized all my bits are Coogan. I don't fancy him or anything. I don't think I do anyway.

Glebe

I remember watching the first episode when it first aired, just wonderful - Chopper of Doom was the icing on the cake, me and my mate were just howling. A joyous memory.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on February 19, 2019, 06:44:32 PMHannity's silent chuckling in one of The Bureau sketches

fucking ponderous

"Yes or no? Find out tonight, on BBC2!" Love it.

Chriddof

The Chopper Of Doom has this amazingly baffling bit that I didn't pick up on for years - at one point we get a voiceover in the helicopter before the accident happens that's meant to be from the sheepdog (or is at least being presented as some sort of accurate record of the dog's thoughts on the matter). Delivered by Schneider, 2:38 in: https://youtu.be/yfBytQWJ7Us?t=157

Shaky

Quote from: Chriddof on February 20, 2019, 06:12:12 AM
The Chopper Of Doom has this amazingly baffling bit that I didn't pick up on for years - at one point we get a voiceover in the helicopter before the accident happens that's meant to be from the sheepdog (or is at least being presented as some sort of accurate record of the dog's thoughts on the matter). Delivered by Schneider, 2:38 in: https://youtu.be/yfBytQWJ7Us?t=157

Hah, scrolling through the comments I was determined to be the first to mention that one! Genuinely my favourite line in the whole show.

buttgammon

Quote from: Chriddof on February 20, 2019, 06:12:12 AM

Although I last saw that episode two or three days ago, I've never actually noticed that! Brilliant!

fucking ponderous

Oh my god I've always thought that was just meant to be another comment from the farmer, I don't think I've ever even fully realized it was a different voice. Absolutely amazing.

Captain Z

Senior bank officials have refused to confirm rumours that the pound was only vulnerable because they took it out to play with at lunchtime and forgot to put it back.

Glebe

Quote from: Chriddof on February 20, 2019, 06:12:12 AMThe Chopper Of Doom has this amazingly baffling bit that I didn't pick up on for years - at one point we get a voiceover in the helicopter before the accident happens that's meant to be from the sheepdog (or is at least being presented as some sort of accurate record of the dog's thoughts on the matter). Delivered by Schneider, 2:38 in: https://youtu.be/yfBytQWJ7Us?t=157

No way... I never actually copped that it was meant to be the dog talking! And yes, it's one of my favourite lines in the whole series too.

EOLAN

For people suggesting parts may have (naturally) dated, the line I love of "I hate Sebastian Coe" during the Jam Festival talk just seems to get stronger every year. I really do hate Sebastian Coe.

Also loved the old TV review; with Coogan describing his experience of being fellated in particular. As said by others so many of the memorable parts do seem to be Coogan.

Also; Ianucci's brief cameo on a long lens camera where an officer in exaggerated movements tells him to turn around.

David Schneider's massively underrated on the show. There's a scene in the war episode where he's playing a soldier, furiously shoulder barging a brick wall. Always gets a massive laugh as it's so understated I keep forgetting about it between viewings.

He's also genuinely amazing as the lifeguard at the pool.

Cuellar

I'm just going to say it. Patrick Marber is great.

"He's using a nylon hemp mix rope tonight, that's what he wanted, that's what he's got"
"And to play us out we have Johnny Stoppard. Johnny, what're you going to play for us tonight?"
"Fancy Lady"
"Fancy Lady, well, fancy that"

The sing-song deliver of 'Fancy Lady' is a massive comedy earworm for me. Can't see the word 'Fancy' without thinking about it.

kalowski

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 20, 2019, 10:26:09 AM
David Schneider's massively underrated on the show. There's a scene in the war episode where he's playing a soldier, furiously shoulder barging a brick wall. Always gets a massive laugh as it's so understated I keep forgetting about it between viewings.

He's also genuinely amazing as the lifeguard at the pool.
Schneider plays the physical cartoonist Brandt doesn't he. Just brilliant.

Clownbaby

When it goes back to Chris and he's doing an odd face or putting away a machine gun. I also really love it the first time you see him flirting with Valerie Sinatra cause his smile instantly drops when he's done. Also all the strange prickly interactions between Chris and Alan

SteveDave

The woman who films the footage of the helicopter being called Maureen Tucker.

Chris Morris' pleased face upon making the Jam woman cry.

"LOOK LIKE YOU MEAN IT! LOOK DOWN AT THE GROUND AND SAY YOU'RE SORRY!"

"Ich...nichten lichten..."

"Proof, if proof be need be"

Iggy Pop being on the new five pound note.

Phil_A

Quote from: Cuellar on February 20, 2019, 10:30:44 AM

"He's using a nylon hemp mix rope tonight, that's what he wanted, that's what he's got"
"And to play us out we have Johnny Stoppard. Johnny, what're you going to play for us tonight?"
"Fancy Lady"
"Fancy Lady, well, fancy that"

The sing-song deliver of 'Fancy Lady' is a massive comedy earworm for me. Can't see the word 'Fancy' without thinking about it.

Marber has some great lines as the war correspondent, "As I swilled the last of my toothpaste this morning, a soldier's head flew past the window, screaming the word "Victory!""

Captain Z

Quote from: SteveDave on February 20, 2019, 10:55:24 AM
The woman who films the footage of the helicopter being called Maureen Tucker.

Also the quick but signposted joke that she filmed for 10 minutes before calling for help, and that she went to the trouble of copyrighting her film.

Clownbaby

Phil_A

Quote from: Captain Z on February 20, 2019, 11:06:28 AM
Also the quick but signposted joke that she filmed for 10 minutes before calling for help, and that she went to the trouble of copyrighting her film.

Also that an old lady happens to have a broadcast standard TV camera to hand is something else I hadn't previously spotted.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Cuellar on February 20, 2019, 10:30:44 AM

Same. Any time someone says something in a slightly unnatural way I'll instantly remember it

Sukie Bapswent's way of saying Nirvana ("Nirvahnerr") always pops in as well

DrGreggles

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 20, 2019, 10:54:38 AM
When it goes back to Chris and he's doing an odd face or putting away a machine gun. I also really love it the first time you see him flirting with Valerie Sinatra cause his smile instantly drops when he's done.

I do love his contented smile after having reduced the Jam Festival lady to tears.

PlasticTom

"When.. When you, when you.... how do you ride a horse?"
"How do I ride...?"
"How do you ride a horse."

holyzombiejesus

The Partridge voice over at the races - chomping on a sandwich! - is brilliant. I really like Kiddy Stare too.

Jerzy Bondov

The way in The Office bit when Marber says 'release the pig' and a pig comes in, and Doon Mackichan goes 'oh no it's a pig'

kalowski

I've just remembered the office that brings in the American self help guy (Marber?) where they say "ermmm" every time Schneider does.

bigfatheart