Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dragon Age

Started by tookish, February 20, 2019, 10:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tookish

I can't find a thread by looking back or googling, so - let us talk about Dragon Age.

I'm playing Inquisition at the moment, and honestly can't fault the gameplay. It strikes the perfect balance of fighting to power up, with conversation and intrigue. There are hundreds of side quests and areas to explore which are non-essential to the story. I've played about twenty hours and am still not very far in the story, just because gameplay is so rich.

I started out as an elf mage but I'll definitely be playing through again as someone else.

madhair60

Yeah cut it in half and count the rings. Hope this helps

bgmnts

I only really liked the first one. Generic Bioware adventure but still a bit of fun.

Inquisition was fine but I don't know if they'll be making a sequel which is frustrating.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2019, 06:28:17 PM
I only really liked the first one. Generic Bioware adventure but still a bit of fun.

Inquisition was fine but I don't know if they'll be making a sequel which is frustrating.

2 was dull, but fuck there is never going to be a new Knights of da Old Republic. Inquisition was criticised as being a fetch quest, it is no more a fetch quest than any other modern RPG of the same ilk. Play as a mage, cast some acid on dragons, its a fun game.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2019, 06:28:17 PM

Wasn't a new one trailed last year at the Game Awards?

Mister Six

They've gotten progressively less attractive to me.

Dragon Age: Origins (and its DLC) is a glorious enmeshing of old-school combat and roleplaying with (then) fancy graphics, fabulous worldbuilding and a cast of detailed, plausible and compelling characters. Yeah, it's more or less ripping off Game of Thrones for some of its lore, but it adds plenty to it and creates a great game world.

Dragon Age 2 clearly suffers from a restricted budget and development time. The idea of telling a single character's journey in one city is good, but all of the interesting stuff comes in the interstitial animations between sections, leaving the rest of the game feeling fragmented and uncohesive. The combat is slicker but less engaged, and while the characters are still well-written, they also feel much less "real" - Fenris and Isabela in particular feel like they were designed for erotic fanfic first and foremost. Oh, and the dialogue system is awful.

Dragon Age: Inquisition looked at first like it would be a massive return to form, with a series-best combat system, a new armour mechanic, gorgeous new graphics and a compelling new cast. But Bioware pissed that up the wall by trying to Skyrim the game up with massive environments that they didn't have the time or imagination to fill, so you're left doing the same handful of Ubisoft-aping cloned puzzles, running across vast tracts of nothing, and ticking off side quests that consist of "run to a place, press X, read a text box, run to another place, press X, collect some gold". The story also runs out of narrative steam after Corypheus shows up and trashes Haven. From Skyhold on, your actual goal doesn't change at all (kill Corypheus) and your character and their army only become more and more powerful, making the threat less impressive with each successfully completed side quest.

Won't bother with the fourth, most likely.

wooders1978

I quite enjoyed the previous entries and no doubt I'll get around to this at some point - I've read that the developers are a bit self congratulatory on how "inclusive" this title will be whatever that means (presumably your gays and trans folk will be onboard as they are *desperatley* underrepresented in fantasy epically adventures such as these)
I'm all good if they want to add these characters in but don't go giving yourselves a pat on the back for it