Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great bands no-one talks about (Not a List Thread)

Started by gilbertharding, February 20, 2019, 12:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Dirty Boy on March 29, 2019, 01:34:54 PM
Why does no one talk about OOIOO?
(just searched and there's a ten year old Japanese thread where they pop up)

Bob on and don't be leaving out Koenjihyakki, Pochakaite Malko, Altered States, Bondage Fruit (first couple of albums), Tipographica, After Dinner.... Japan rocks.

I find Korekyojin a bit slick and noodly, but you can't like it all i suppose.

Well, at least Koenjihyakki doesn't belong in here as they do get talked about (being the other band of the constant half of Ruins), nor After Dinner, too. I've not heard of the others so I'll take a look at them (knowing me they've already been collected and I haven't got around to listening to them, so long is my to-do list).

Sin Agog

Bob on and don't be leaving out Koenjihyakki, Pochakaite Malko, Altered States, Bondage Fruit (first couple of albums), Tipographica, After Dinner.... Japan rocks.

I mentioned OOIOO a month or two back.  And Happy Family in chveik's Japanese Zeuhl thread (he also started an After Dinner thread).  Altered States...must have brought them up?  Possibly not, as I don't post in Oscillations all that often.  If not, I will now: Mosaic and Lithuania/Estonia Live are just stop on a dime psychic jazz skronk perfection.  Well worth looking into if you want to move on from your Naked Citys and Brotzmanns.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 21, 2019, 09:36:33 PM
Any love for Soul Coughing out there? At a time when everyone USA was doing hard grunge, like those bozos Everclear (who I quite like), these cats were doing something a bit different.

I absolutely love Soul Coughing. Super Bon Bon has one of the most infectious grooves I've heard.

I think the senseless things fits this thread. Not sure about great but they were brilliant in their time. Maybe the wildhearts too. Well I still love them anyway.

the ouch cube

I heard Empire Of The Senseless for the first time recently and was surprised at how bitter and brooding the vibe of it was; I'd been under the impression they were a fairly carefree Undertones/Buzzcocks inspired group with songs about banging someone's cousin behind the bike sheds, but no.

Gregory Torso

On the subject of great & ignored Japanese bands, Angel'in Heavy Syrup. Someone needs to re-release their albums, on luscious heavy vinyl with original artwork, please. Wonderful psych-swirl with girl harmonies...

First Love

I'm Sure To Meet You

My Dream

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Senseless Things suit the remit of this thread, due to the fact that nobody talks about them that much anymore, despite their lovely Jamie Hewett designed record sleeves, their toe tapping tunes, and the fact that they released a radio airplay- baiting song called " Homophobic Arsehole ", in spite of the fact those words didn't actually feature in the chorus, or owt. Had a feature in " Select " magazine which gladly printed glossy pictures of their lovable drummer throwing up. A great bunch of lads. Doesn't all have to be Boredoms- esque Avant Garde or equally as Japanese garage rawk on 'ere, does it ? I'm enjoying this thread, as are a lot of people perusing it, I would imagine. Senseless Things slot in quite neatly here, not exactly A R Kane, but a sufficient enough distance from, say, The fucking  Wonder Stuff, or something. Yeah, they're welcome here .

Sin Agog

There's this Hungarian group from the '80s called Trabant who released all these pretty, gossamer Velvet Undergroundy lo-fi demos.  Nothing like the brassier new wave tracks available on youtube.  Met one of my best friends by initially uploading this home-made collection of everything I had by them for her (none of it was ever released commercially so there's no harm sharing it): https://www.mediafire.com/file/v6cp06tyb1fbj53/

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 29, 2019, 10:04:41 PM
There's this Hungarian group from the '80s called Trabant who released all these pretty, gossamer Velvet Undergroundy lo-fi demos.  Nothing like the brassier new wave tracks available on youtube.  Met one of my best friends by initially uploading this home-made collection of everything I had by them for her (none of it was ever released commercially so there's no harm sharing it): https://www.mediafire.com/file/v6cp06tyb1fbj53/

Mihaly Vig played in it apparently. fuck my hat I suppose.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 29, 2019, 10:04:41 PM

Thanks for this. You and chveik are my MVPs (Most Valuable Posters) when it comes to music. This especially though, I'm really liking it.

Dr Syntax Head

Gang Starr. Nobody talks about one of the greatest hip hop groups of all time. Well they don't do they?

chveik

have you ever listened to zOoOoOm? yet another great japanese band that no one talks about. they're quite similar to Boredoms circa "Vision Creation Newsun".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTrBnq42_Bc&list=PLzE57-EGhxwJbgpmIyXxjJPy4NP7oGpWv&index=2

edit: ooh and there's also P.O.N., a wonderful and rather obscure avant-prog band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWb9mNn9J4

sadly those two bands have only made one album.

Dr Syntax Head

...and you will know us by the trail of dead.

L7

The Greenhornes

Sin Agog

Quote from: chveik on March 29, 2019, 10:20:07 PM
Mihaly Vig played in it apparently. fuck my hat I suppose.

Only found out about the Vig/Bela Tarr connection after I became a fan.  I came to Trabant because the singer was in a weirdo Hungarian movie called The Dog's Night Song.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 29, 2019, 11:11:07 PM
Thanks for this. You and chveik are my MVPs (Most Valuable Posters) when it comes to music. This especially though, I'm really liking it.

Touched! I can't find any of these songs on RYM, Discogs, Youtube, or anywhere else.  Just a much less interesting EP they once put out.  And it's been so long that I forget where I got them from.  But there is something really special about most of them, all these ethereal bedroom touches speak-sung over by a breathy Young Marble Giant.  Glad you enjoyed it.

McChesney Duntz

Here's my constant go-to, so much so I had to scroll back to make sure I hadn't proselytized on their behalf already: a band with the amusingly unwieldy name All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors. Specifically their second album, Turning Into Small. To this day, I know next to nothing about them, to the point of not knowing whether the vocalist(s?) is (are) male and/or female, and I can't say I've spent a whole lot of time with the albums on either side of this one. But this, back-to-front, is The Stuff. Right there in the 1998 sweet spot at the intersection of trip-hop, dream-pop, shoegaze and stereolabradoodling. Twenty-one years on, it hasn't decreased in potency one jot or tittle - it reminds me of what made me a music obsessive in the first place, the near-narcotic mental/physical effect it, at its best, has on me. It's a blisskrieg.

Here's the whole thing, with the caveat that it really needs to be listened to in a format with real dynamic range, on headphones or through a proper speaker setup, for best effect:

https://youtu.be/yG4u0LR8nzo

samadriel

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 30, 2019, 03:14:40 AM
Here's my constant go-to, so much so I had to scroll back to make sure I hadn't proselytized on their behalf already: a band with the amusingly unwieldy name All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors. Specifically their second album, Turning Into Small. To this day, I know next to nothing about them, to the point of not knowing whether the vocalist(s?) is (are) male and/or female, and I can't say I've spent a whole lot of time with the albums on either side of this one. But this, back-to-front, is The Stuff. Right there in the 1998 sweet spot at the intersection of trip-hop, dream-pop, shoegaze and stereolabradoodling. Twenty-one years on, it hasn't decreased in potency one jot or tittle - it reminds me of what made me a music obsessive in the first place, the near-narcotic mental/physical effect it, at its best, has on me. It's a blisskrieg.

Having a listen now, very pleasant. And yes, I certainly can't find much said about them!  Thanks for showing me a new album.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 28, 2019, 01:10:54 PM
Would someone like Salad fit into this thread? They might be a bit too 'big' for it, I dunno.

Their "Drink Me" album is a classic, not one bad tune on there, and they had a consistently excellent run of singles ("Your Ma" should have been a smash hit single all over the world). After they split, the singer formed another band , what had one really catchy song about being a horse, but then, nothing.

They could have been bigger than The Warm Jets. What happened? Mebbee the guitarist's resemblance to Jacko off "Brush Strokes" dented their cred a bit.

madge is a mate of mine- she worked at Mtv back in the day. she'll be amused by that.... poor paul.
salad are making a comeback, new album about to be released. I found their 'the word' appearance on an old VHS & chucked it onto vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/282793000

I was also an associate of warm jets (no 'the'), they were formed from the ashes of eat/we are pleb/tv-eye/honey smugglers & so on. I even dated one of them for a while, before she ran off with eric drew feldman while he was in PJ Harvey's band.

here are tv-eye.... this is steve from honey smugglers (& my own band, r.m.i.) on drums, paul & max noble (of the mk1 eat) on guitars, louis jones on bass & yes, that's paul kaye singing. his old band were we are pleb, & used to terrorise the audience in (e.g.) the falcon with an actual fire-eater. tv-eye split in 1993 after tours with shonen knife & others; paul noble & louis jones recruited ed grimshaw on drums & formed warm jets, adding various others until they finally split around 2000 (by which time noble was managing magic numbers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDXxw2H7iCo

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 30, 2019, 09:21:59 AM
madge is a mate of mine

Tell her that the photo shoot she did in a pvc catsuit made me think impure thoughts back in the day.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 30, 2019, 12:45:23 PM
Tell her that the photo shoot she did in a pvc catsuit made me think impure thoughts back in the day.

she used to present a fashion show on Mtv... "stylissimo"? the outfits....

ah, here's a tale of rock'n'roll. I used to do the sound in the Mtv studio whenever the main sound guy had the day off, which was at least once a week. it happened to be my turn when stone temple pilots visited for ray cokes' show. the musical section of this show was a sort of mini-'unplugged', mainly because the studio was tiny & time was always tight. we only had five channels on the desk for the performance area, but the band hadn't been told this, & there'd already been a spinal tap type misunderstanding over the set-up time available even before I had to tell these poor jet-lagged rock-stars that we couldn't & wouldn't be using full drum-kit & backline. we made the best of it- I managed to cover the stripped-down percussion & backing vocals with a stereo pair in mid-air, while doing a decent job of the lead vocals & acoustic guitar.

afterwards, we went to the monarch, up the road from the studios in camden, intending to get arseholed, which we did. marijne's band happened to be playing that night, & that was the first I knew that she was in a band. I saw salad many times after that.

https://soundcloud.com/duncandisorderly-1/plush-most-wanted-april-1993

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What about Lieutenant Pigeon, who had a big hit with " Mouldy Old Dough " in 1972 , or something. Nobody talks about them anymore !

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 30, 2019, 02:26:37 PM
What about Lieutenant Pigeon, who had a big hit with " Mouldy Old Dough " in 1972 , or something. Nobody talks about them anymore !

mate of mine did me a mixtape of their album & some faust, & it was quite hard to tell which was which.

watch out for a nigel tufnel lookalike in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RoOkjsi5ls

Phil_A

I remember Mark & Lard infuriating those humourless pricks in the Stereophonics by singing "Mouuuuuuuuldy awwwwwld dooooooooooough" over the intro of their piss-poor single "I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio". Good times.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: chveik on March 30, 2019, 12:05:22 AM
have you ever listened to zOoOoOm? yet another great japanese band that no one talks about. they're quite similar to Boredoms circa "Vision Creation Newsun".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTrBnq42_Bc&list=PLzE57-EGhxwJbgpmIyXxjJPy4NP7oGpWv&index=2

edit: ooh and there's also P.O.N., a wonderful and rather obscure avant-prog band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWb9mNn9J4

sadly those two bands have only made one album.
I've heard of them, but haven't given either a proper listen unfortunately. Got P.O.N on loud now and it's doing it for me. Reminds me a bit of Tipographica and Bondage Fruit if you don't know them.

Angel'in Heavy Syrup also sounding good thus far.

Great bands no one talks aboot: Ex-Girl!
Like a proggy new wave musical about superhero women.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Anyone mentioned Blood Sausage? I mean the UK early 90s blues/ounk/riot grrl effort, not the metal band from somewhere else later on.

NattyDread 2

Always thought this lot should've got more attention-

Parsley Sound
'Ease Yourself and Glide'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwvJkrwmG3s

'Platonic Rate'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlwyW40E5Zg

The album 'Parsley Sounds' is a wee gem.

Rizla

Cardiff
The Shinetones
Corrbett
Less Than a Terabyte
The Five Grahams

Absorb the anus burn

P-Model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs4qCgRmddU

Herky-Jerky Japanese new wave band in the mould of Barry Andrews-era XTC, DEVO and Split Enz.

Sin Agog

Did you ever listen to any of their later stuff?  I really like the herky jerky era, too, but Susumu Hirasawa went onto make some seriously dense and soaring synth anthems under that name.  It feels liked being smacked in the face with a brick of melody.

He also did the theme to Paranoia Agent!