Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:44:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

mate of mine just said Pet Sounds is shite

Started by madhair60, February 21, 2019, 10:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I'm genuinely angry with him and feel like ending the friendship right now. Please advise.

Norton Canes

Crabwalk

Funcrusher

Quote from: madhair60 on February 21, 2019, 10:30:53 AM
I'm genuinely angry with him and feel like ending the friendship right now. Please advise.

Did he say Warhammer was better?

popcorn

It is a bit boring though isn't it, some of it.

Crabwalk

ToneLa

I dunno, if you get way into Smile I can see why you'd come around to that

thraxx

Depends what type of pet it is really.  If it's a budgie chirruping away it's kind of cute, but cats mewling away can sod right off.  But yes this friend sounds horrible, cut them out of your immediately and completely.

popcorn

Quote from: thraxx on February 21, 2019, 11:22:49 AM
Depends what type of pet it is really.  If it's a budgie chirruping away it's kind of cute, but cats mewling away can sod right off.  But yes this friend sounds horrible, cut them out of your immediately and completely.

This post is a bit embarrassing... I think you misunderstood the thread.........

thraxx

Quote from: popcorn on February 21, 2019, 11:23:33 AM
This post is a bit embarrassing... I think you misunderstood the thread.........

Yes, but wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where pets don't make horrible noises?

jobotic

I've just looked up the tracklisting and I only know four of the songs. God only knows how the others go. I suppose I should listen to it one day.

Blinder Data

tell him you're withdrawing the funding for his audiobook venture

Crabwalk

Quote from: popcorn on February 21, 2019, 11:19:47 AM
:O

Seriously though, I'm trying to think of which bits could be classified as boring. Given that I even love listening to the studio chatter and take #73 of the intro to 'Wouldn't it be Nice' on the box set I am not an impartial judge.

DrGreggles

Of course it's not shite.
I think it's fucking amazing - still.
Even if you don't think it's good, I fail to see how it could be considered shite.
The 3 singles alone would be enough to push it into great status, even if the rest of the album was dogshit - which it isn't.

In short: kill him.

the science eel

older folk - you didn't go through a stage of calling it 'Radio 2 music'? or at least hearing that?

alan nagsworth

Nah I don't really think it's much cop either. But then, despite loving a lot of classic, defining rock stuff, I still get a big swell of "what's the big deal with this, then?" about a small handful of stuff. Like "Diamond Dogs" or "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", neither of which do a particularly great deal for me at all.

daf

Quote from: thraxx on February 21, 2019, 11:29:56 AM
Yes, but wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where pets don't make horrible noises?

You know it's gonna make it that much better
When we can neigh goodnight and bra-a-a-y together

madhair60

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 21, 2019, 11:46:18 AM
tell him you're withdrawing the funding for his audiobook venture

It's not him. He doesn't listen to them, he listens to videogame soundtracks he's ripped from Youtube. Sometimes put them on in the car and at the end you'll get a snatch of "it's your boi soundtrackwanker17 Like and Subscribe".

Just a collapse of a human being.

If you've been raised in an era where nearly all production is loud and compressed, and never had the curiousity to seek out an earlier way of recording music, Pet Sounds can be a culture shock, but stemming entirely from ignorance.

Listen to the stuff that never even made the album, like the vocal version of the middle 8 for Don't Talk Put Your Head On My Shoulder, or Trombone Dixie. Read what George Martin wrote about the album. Check out the isolated vocals for You Still Believe In Me or the instrumental of Caroline No at the speed it was actually played in the studio.

There are some intelligent folk like Simon Armitage who are not ignorant but still can't get it but I think that's because they have an unconscious assumption about what makes a great album and it blocks them from hearing what's there and how it connects to teenage experiences that haunt you as an adult.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 21, 2019, 04:19:32 PM
If you've been raised in an era where nearly all production is loud and compressed, and never had the curiousity to seek out an earlier way of recording music, Pet Sounds can be a culture shock, but stemming entirely from ignorance.

Listen to the stuff that never even made the album, like the vocal version of the middle 8 for Don't Talk Put Your Head On My Shoulder, or Trombone Dixie. Read what George Martin wrote about the album. Check out the isolated vocals for You Still Believe In Me or the instrumental of Caroline No at the speed it was actually played in the studio.

There are some intelligent folk like Simon Armitage who are not ignorant but still can't get it but I think that's because they have an unconscious assumption about what makes a great album and it blocks them from hearing what's there and how it connects to teenage experiences that haunt you as an adult.

The thing is, some bands have a sound that you just can't get along with at all and no amount of listening or having it explained to you will change that. It's not a case of intelligence or ignorance or an unconscious reluctance to accept genius, as you've rather pompously stated, just a primal like or dislike for the music that's hitting your ears. I'm one of those people with the Beach Boys, I don't like it at all, in fact I can't stand it, they really do have a sound and a collection of voices that are like nails down a chalkboard to me. But if somebody else thinks they're the best thing in the world, I'm not going to disagree or try and change their mind. It's all down to personal taste

Nowhere Man

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 21, 2019, 07:31:30 PM
The thing is, some bands have a sound that you just can't get along with at all and no amount of listening or having it explained to you will change that. It's not a case of intelligence or ignorance or an unconscious reluctance to accept genius, as you've rather pompously stated, just a primal like or dislike for the music that's hitting your ears. I'm one of those people with the Beach Boys, I don't like it at all, in fact I can't stand it, they really do have a sound and a collection of voices that are like nails down a chalkboard to me. But if somebody else thinks they're the best thing in the world, I'm not going to disagree or try and change their mind. It's all down to personal taste

You're a fucking alien mate

MidnightShambler

I wish I was, so I didn't have to occasionally hear twee music at boring people's parties.