Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Dirt

Started by fatguyranting, February 21, 2019, 10:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatguyranting

Trailer for the Motley Crue bio pic is up and it debuts on March 22 on Netflix. Loved the book and really hope the film does it justice.

iamcoop

Wonder if they include the bit from the book where Nikki Sixx casually mentions the time he facilitated the rape of a young girl at a party?

SteveDave

Reading the book I came away thinking that Motley Crue were the worst people in the world. Their music is shit which makes it twice as bad. At least Guns N Roses had tunes to counter balance their awfulness.

This'll be shit I reckon.

magval

I read The Dirt when it came out and at the right age and time in pop culture history for it to have the appropriate shock value and entertainment quota.

Since then, the world has moved on. EVERYTHING is shocking now, and Motley Crue's story isn't a big deal any more. So this can either go one of two ways - push the shock quotient to the absolute maximum to carry the original impact of the book (which it won't, clearly, from the trailer) - or damn them, which it won't do either as they're involved heavily in the promotion.

This film should be the story of why Tommy Lee's kids hate him, not a rags to riches story of a little band that could. But we're not getting that. At best, this will be a movie made by Motley Crue fans - it should have been made by guys who have no interest in their music or ideally someone who hates their music.

To Motley Crue's credit, they had a few great singles, one or two great albums (the one they did without their usual singer is fucking brilliant) and in Tommy Lee, a proper metalhead muso icon. It's a shame they're such a bunch of pricks, dicks and Mick.

ToneLa

So why haven't the Crüe been #MeTood

iamcoop

It's amazing hardly any of the rock scene has been metoo'd to be quite honest. Surely once the ball's rolling its gonna be a bloodbath. Mind you, as I've said before no one seems to care about Jimmy Page and David Bowie fucking 14 year olds so it's interesting to see how it's going to be played out.

magval

Because they did it all before the MeToo window. It's bizarre because as mentioned above all the evidence is declared by Crue in their book.

Which, WHICH, by the way, is a shite read if you like music. It's not a music fan's book. No details of the great magic worked by Bob Rock or the significance of Motley's place in time and scene. None of it. Just sticking dicks in fast food and killing mates.

SteveDave

Quote from: magval on February 22, 2019, 03:10:07 PM
Because they did it all before the MeToo window. It's bizarre because as mentioned above all the evidence is declared by Crue in their book.

I dunno, John Wayne's just been #cancelled and he's been real life cancelled since 1979.

PlanktonSideburns

So what happens in the book? Can't be bothered with motley crew, always struck me as led zeppelin for adult wrestling fans  (zepplin fans being adult Warhammer fans in this analogy)

I'll probably watch it because it's Jeff Tremaine's (of Jackass) first foray into making a "real" film. I do hope that means one of them gets kicked in the balls or covered in shit at some point.

ToneLa

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 22, 2019, 05:21:13 PM
So what happens in the book? Can't be bothered with motley crew, always struck me as led zeppelin for adult wrestling fans  (zepplin fans being adult Warhammer fans in this analogy)

I can tell you AND name the perfect tagline in three simple words: Ozzy snorts ants

QuoteI handed him the straw, and he walked over to a crack in the sidewalk and bent over it. I saw a long column of ants, marching to a little dugout built where the pavement met the dirt. And as I thought, "No, he wouldn't," he did. He put the straw to his nose and, with his bare white ass peeking out from under the dress like a sliced honeydew, sent the entire line of ants tickling up his nose with a single, monstrous snort.

He stood up, reared back his head, and concluded with a powerful rightnostriled sniff that probably sent a stray ant or two dripping down his throat. Then he hiked up the sundress, grabbed his dick, and pissed on the pavement. Without even looking at his growing audience–everyone on the tour was watching him while the old women and families on the pool deck were pretending not to–he knelt down and, getting the dress soggy in the puddle, lapped it up. He didn't just flick it with his tongue, he took a half-dozen long, lingering, and thorough strokes, like a cat. Then he stood up and, eyes blazing and mouth wet with urine, looked straight at me. "Do that, Sixx!"

iamcoop

The chapters written by Mick Mars are the only ones that offer any real insight into the music or what it's like to be in a successful band and the pressures that come with that. The rest is just salacious stories about fucking groupies and taking drugs.

I also remember being a bit astonished, even as a 15 year old (or however old I was when I read it), about Vince Neil's fairly casual and seemingly unrepentant attitude towards killing his passenger whilst drunk driving. He only really cares about the possibility that he might not be allowed to be a rockstar anymore because of it. He also spends the majority of the book fucking other people's wives (usually people who have helped out his band and career and genuinely cared about them) and having absolutely zero remorse about it. He comes across as a right fucking horrible cunt.

ToneLa

I can't help but feel you're reading the wrong band bio if you read The Dirt for an insight into music

iamcoop

Quote from: ToneLa on February 22, 2019, 08:11:13 PM
I can't help but feel you're reading the wrong band bio if you read The Dirt for an insight into music

I was going to add that point myself, I do realise completely that it's not written with that in mind at all.