Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:20:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monkees Show Obvious Beatles Influence Once More

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, February 21, 2019, 05:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Looks like the Monkees are now a " Two Man Band ". :(

Twed

They are going to have to change their name, "Monthrees" is no longer accurate.

PaulTMA

Nowhere Man

This Monkees Gone To Heaven

Quite sad about this, I love The Monkees. Honestly thought Nesmith would have gone before him though.

Twed

Twed

Laughing my tits off at this story that I don't understand at all that makes Peter Tork sound like some sort of fire spirit: https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1098642680681320449

"Tork"

Glebe

Crabwalk

Twed

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Nowhere Man

Yeah Twed, you're being an unfunny twat for no reason.

Twed

I am making a not excellent but slightly necessary point about how you don't get to pick and choose which figures get to be targets of jokes when they die based on whether you personally like them or not. Again, not an award-winning statement, quite boring and obvious, but somebody has to do the paperwork around here.

And I was sharing that Twitter link with genuine fondness.

Nowhere Man

But unless the deceased famous person is massively unpopular the targets on here are generally made fun of ironically. From your posts it was kind of hard to tell if you were taking the piss or not. If you just did a pun like 'Last Train to Carks-ville or whatever at least that could be seen as an ironic statement.

But anyway some people just just get genuinely sad when certain people (especially from our childhoods) die, what's wrong with respecting that? Why does there have to be a point involved?

studpuppet

Peter Percival Patterson's fave Monkee Torky ate soo much pie, do you know what he did?

He popped (off).

Twed

The only ripe thing I said was the fake tumour quote, and that really was to highlight the over-sensitivity over what came before, which was entirely light puns (and not at Tork's expense).

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 21, 2019, 09:51:46 PM
But unless the deceased famous person is massively unpopular
I actually think that's a bad attitude to have, unless "massively unpopular" means "outright evil" (e.g. Savile) and I don't think that has been the case for most of the people seen as acceptable targets for gallows humour on CaB.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 21, 2019, 09:51:46 PM
But anyway some people just just get genuinely sad when certain people (especially from our childhoods) die, what's wrong with respecting that? Why does there have to be a point involved?
Because they don't actually have the right to declare some figures as off-limits. They are dictating that their choices for who should receive extra-special levels are respect are the correct ones. What if I (this is hypothetical) gave a shit about Bruce Forsyth and had to listen to somebody with an avatar making fun of him telling me off for making fun of a figure they're particularly fond of?

Anyway, this isn't the thread to get into detail about this and to be honest I'm not passionate enough about it to want to upset anybody that much over it.

Edit: What the fuck, how is your Monkee Gone To Heaven crack exempt from this criticism? Bad grief. I'm very, very sorry I said "Monthrees". That was clearly over the line.

Quote from: Twed on February 21, 2019, 10:10:46 PM
Anyway, this isn't the thread to get into detail about this and to be honest I'm not passionate enough about it to want to upset anybody that much over it.

It probably would've been for the best if you hadn't decided to make your point, which you don't particularly care about anyway, in this thread in the first place.

Twed

Or people could not be grief dictators so that people could express themselves how they need to when there's a famous death.

Quote from: Twed on February 21, 2019, 10:25:20 PM
Or people could not be grief dictators so that people could express themselves how they need to when there's a famous death.

FFS, mate, this is a thread about that nice, harmless Peter Tork from the Monkees. I mean really.

Twed

If he's harmless, why is most of him now in a bin marked "Biohazard"?

Ignatius_S

Very sad news – huge admirer of Tork and his contribution to The Monkees is criminally underrated. His songs for the band are among my favourites and Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again is stone-cold classic. I remember when I was sharing a flat with one of my best mates, listening to that song and they asked excitedly who the band were and then looked incredibly confused when I said it was The Monkees.

Tork's desire to be in a 'real' band was crucial in The Monkees seizing control of their musical destiny. The more I read about the band, the more I appreciated with Tork's contribution (e.g. acting as arranger). His departure removed so much from the band, which then was really a band in name only. Personally, I'm inclined to lean towards the opinions expressed that Nesmith wasn't entirely unhappy with Tork's departure - Jones and Dolenz were easy-going when it came to the music side, whereas Tork was a man of strong opinions and ready to challenge.

I like Tork's post-Monkee career. I've only in the last couple of years discovered the albums he did with James Lees Stanley – one contains Little Girl, which was also one of his contributions of the recent (and stellar) Good Times! Monkees release. On another, there was a song, Milkshake that was a standout on his solo album, Stranger Things Have Happened (and on that album version, Dolenz and Nesmith perform backing vocals) – it's a quirky, very diverse album and (IMO) rather good.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Twed on February 21, 2019, 10:10:46 PM
Edit: What the fuck, how is your Monkee Gone To Heaven crack exempt from this criticism? Bad grief. I'm very, very sorry I said "Monthrees". That was clearly over the line.

Mate, in that same post I literally say:
"Quite sad about this, I love The Monkees."

Let's fucking forget about it now, you've yourself said you're not passionate enough to care, there's no point of us dragging this on and on.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on February 21, 2019, 10:41:03 PM
Tork's desire to be in a 'real' band was crucial in The Monkees seizing control of their musical destiny. The more I read about the band, the more I appreciated with Tork's contribution (e.g. acting as arranger). His departure removed so much from the band, which then was really a band in name only. Personally, I'm inclined to lean towards the opinions expressed that Nesmith wasn't entirely unhappy with Tork's departure - Jones and Dolenz were easy-going when it came to the music side, whereas Tork was a man of strong opinions and ready to challenge.

I like Tork's post-Monkee career. I've only in the last couple of years discovered the albums he did with James Lees Stanley – one contains Little Girl, which was also one of his contributions of the recent (and stellar) Good Times! Monkees release. On another, there was a song, Milkshake that was a standout on his solo album, Stranger Things Have Happened (and on that album version, Dolenz and Nesmith perform backing vocals) – it's a quirky, very diverse album and (IMO) rather good.

It's definitely known nowadays that Nesmith and Tork were the real musicians of the group. Although Tork is still the most arguably unappreciated member of the band, he was very talented session player in particular. I'll have to check out his solo work a listen, i'm still venturing into Nesmith's later solo material. (80s onwards)

Custard

Very sad news. I've been getting into The Monkees the last couple years, and have become really fond of them. Currently reading a biog on them actually, which makes this feel even more sudden and sad

RIP Torky

Nowhere Man

One of my top 5 favourite Monkees songs, written by Tork.

For Pete's Sake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFuJwWmsAo

They had a lot of cracking songs didn't they?

They sure did. As mentioned by Ignatius earlier, Long Title: Do I Have to Do This All Over Again? is another Tork banger. Check that phenomenally groovy bass line! Tork could really play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArauGDh-Edw

BlodwynPig

One of the nicest things about the Monkees saga is that the Beatles didn't have a problem with them in the slightest. They were fans. That must've seriously irked all those earnest, sneering counterculture rock critics who dismissed the Monkees as worthless products of The Man.

Tork even played twelve-string banjo on Harrison's Wonderwall soundtrack.

Attila

Over the past week or so, I've had the house to myself as Mr Attila has been working onsite (he usually works from the house), and been revisiting Good Times as well as some of my other Monkees records (which much baffle the neighbours,or maybe amuse them, as it's a contrast to the stuff he usually blasts on the sound system all day). So a bit of a shock last night to see that he had died, considerings I've had the Monkees on heavy rotation the past week or so.

I'm not quite old enough to remember the show first run, but it ran in repeated in 1968/69 on Saturday mornings, and I do clearly remember watching it and loving the heck out of it (Mike was my favourite, and it amuses me years later to see how much my non-tosser brother and he favoured each other in looks and appearance -- they've even aged the same way physically; same sharp wit -- which probably explains it. I've had a chance to play to big white Gretsch Nesmith had on the show, back when I was a teenager, and a few years back met him when he played a solo show in London. Super nice, and aside from accent, like talking to my non tosser brother. I love Elephant Parts and that).

As a kid, I thought Peter was a bit dorky and that, but then of course getting older and learning more about the band, and his and Mike's musicianship and accomplishments, really came to appreciate him.

Also I have a silly book from when I was little called 'Love Letter to the Monkees' which is probably all made up, but it's painfully dorky fan mail allegedly sent to the band back in the 60s.

The above caption dates his visit as 1969 but it's clearly 1967.