Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:44:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Chemical Brothers (feat. Alan Partridge)

Started by Captain Z, February 21, 2019, 09:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Quote from: McFlymo on February 28, 2019, 12:10:57 PMI loved all of Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole. They were both very significant albums when I was 15 / 16.

But even when Hey Girl, Hey Boy was released as a single, I just couldn't get on board.

Every time they release something new, I want to like it, so much, but I never do. Which is a shame.

Same here. Getting into them from the breakbeat fuzzpedal eclecticism era, I can't connect that up with their later preoccupation with thin discoey beats and trancey synths.

Oddly enough, a couple of years ago I stumbled across I Sit On Acid on a Belgian compilation, and it suddenly made sense why Hey Boy Hey Girl was such a bewildering disappointment for me. Using a specific techno tune as a sonic template, so that's why it sounds so lumpy and unfunky.

That said, I've always got time for Star Guitar, and Base 6 on the flipside is a nice hark back to the block rocking Chems of old.

Quote from: McFlymo on February 28, 2019, 12:10:57 PMRe: pinching album (and single) artwork, I thought that was always their schtick and I quite liked their selection of random images. I remember thinking that was very groovy and understated in the mid 90s

I assumed a lot of their old cover images came from photo libraries.

Some people are getting a bit prissy about them using an existing inlay image for their new sleeve, like you're not allowed to licence images now.

Norton Canes

New track We've Got To Try - accompanied by possibly the stupidest Chemical Brothers video ever.

You'll all be pleased to know that We've Got To Try is set to become the 'Sound of The Season' for Formula 1 in 2019. I wonder if this event is in any way related..?

Captain Z

I've stopped listening, at this rate every track will have been released on Youtube before the actual album. Waiting patiently to listen to the whole thing.

the

That was alright. Sample heavy. Sort of like a slow Prodigy track in a way. Still a bit thin though.

McFlymo

Quote from: the on February 28, 2019, 04:28:00 PM
thin discoey beats and trancey synths.

...Using a specific techno tune as a sonic template, so that's why it sounds so lumpy and unfunky.

Yes. Hey Boy, Hey Girl was so thin, lumpy and weirdly unfunky that I genuinely thought it was a pisstake. Was convinced they were putting out a jokey shit house single before unleashing MASSIVE CRUNCHY BEATS a la Setting Sun or something... I was wrong.

Quote from: the on February 28, 2019, 04:28:00 PM

That said, I've always got time for Star Guitar, and Base 6 on the flipside is a nice hark back to the block rocking Chems of old.

Why did they stop doing that sort of thing? Was it just that techno and house were more popular than 'break beat' style stuff? If so, that's even more reason for me to be disappointed.

(sorry for hijacking the thread with such criticism, but I really loved those first two albums!!)

the

Quote from: McFlymo on March 15, 2019, 09:37:32 PMWhy did they stop doing that sort of thing? Was it just that techno and house were more popular than 'break beat' style stuff?

I don't know, but my estimate was that it was probably related to whatever drugs they'd been overdoing at the time.

'No Geography' released today. Sounding fantastic. I imagine their Glastonbury show is going to be something special.

Norton Canes

Might actually buy the CD tomorrow. Them and Depeche Mode are the only bands where I keep up with physical album releases.

Norton Canes

Great album, a real return to form after the slightly ragged Born In The Echoes. Heard that they've returned to using some of their older equipment, which would explain the much warmer analogue sound. Some of the tracks are a bit chaotic, almost like they were jamming them, but again that works in their favour. Also, I know the range of featured vocalists on most albums has been a trademark thing for the band but it was an inspired move to get Aurora involved in so many tracks this time around.

up_the_hampipe

The titular track of No Geography is really great. I've listened to it quite obsessively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zxtbwGogyY

Captain Z

I ended up not listening to this for around 3 weeks after getting the CD as I was waiting for a long car journey or some opportunity to concentrate properly, and in the end gave up and had a first listen at work. Now I've played it through a few times I am seriously impressed. Might it be too far to suggest this is the best, most coherent album the Chems have ever made? Certainly the best from the last 20 years. Must revisit their first three to jog my memory.

There's rarely a dull moment and the whole thing just sounds joyous, perfectly ordered and mixed. I love the way the first three tracks all blend into a continuous piece, followed by a hard stop/start into Got To Keep On, that already sounds like a classic. I know it clearly borrows the same clap sound from Star Guitar but I think it would be unfair to dismiss it as a lesser version of a much different track. The Universe Sent Me is begging for a chunky prog house remix. Comparing Free Yourself to Hey Boy Hey Girl would be fair, and I think it's one of the weaker 'singles' from the album, but it really picks the album up again as it transitions into MAH.

Japan bonus track 'Fantai', which is essentially a Got To Keep On remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hS-OK3r2Y

'I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain' 2018 collaboration with Beth Orton that I'd missed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK8mGUS11iY

Crabwalk

Quote from: Captain Z on May 16, 2019, 03:33:26 PM
I ended up not listening to this for around 3 weeks after getting the CD as I was waiting for a long car journey or some opportunity to concentrate properly, and in the end gave up and had a first listen at work. Now I've played it through a few times I am seriously impressed. Might it be too far to suggest this is the best, most coherent album the Chems have ever made?

I think it is. It's incredibly surprising that they've had such a renaissance. I'm especially chuffed as I'm going to see them live next week and I hope No Geography dominates the setlist.

mrfridge

Quote from: Captain Z on May 16, 2019, 03:33:26 PM
'I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain' 2018 collaboration with Beth Orton that I'd missed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK8mGUS11iY

The new album's ace. Really benefits from NOT being jam packed full of guest artists for me.

The Beth Orton song you mentioned is actually from 1998. Only 20 years out!

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/news/dance/8459338/chemical-brothers-beth-orton-20-year-old-collaboration