Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:59:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

WRONG THREAD: shit radio stations you have to listen to at work and that

Started by sillymisslily, February 21, 2019, 11:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillymisslily

Feel like this has been covered before on here but anyway

When I worked at the council housing reception there was a war of attrition with the radio. The apprentices wanted Capital but someone kicked off when one of the Little Mix songs alluded to faking an orgasm so then it was Smooth and a constant parade of nauseating love songs which made some poor sod being kicked out by his girlfriend cry on occasion. Then it was the local radio station which wasn't terrible. Then the office busybody took it upon herself to change it to Radio 2 because playing commercial radio meant we were advertising or some bollocks. So we were trying to talk to inconsolable homeless people while Jeremy Vine was having a chat with Jamie Bulger's mum. Someone fucked with the dial so it didn't work after that, so people were begging for a council house in blissful silence.

At my works now it's THIS IS HEEAAAAARRRRTTTT. Ed Sheeran, Jess Glynne, other dregs of mainstream pop music and the occasional dance track within about two hours of each other. The presenters are like overly jovial stepdads on Christmas Day trying to cajole you into having fun, calling every song a "banger" or an "anthem" and telling us to "turn up the feel good" whatever that means. Pretty inoffensive and we all text in to try and get 30 grand because we've heard three Bruno Mars songs in a row and then going all tinfoil hat when the winner has some sob story about being in remission or not having enough money for the bus.

So what station's blaring at your works?

Edit: can someone better at this than me move this to oscillations cheers

Sebastian Cobb

No radio in the office itself but they pipe Capital in the bogs, presumably to make sure we don't spend too much time in there.

You could set your watch by both their playlist and my bowels, so I'm genuinely worried that if I hear one of the songs they play in Morrisons or something I'll have a pavlovian response... in my trousers.

Clownbaby

I am so so sick of Jess Glynne and Anne Marie songs, they get played about 40x more than anything else

ToneLa

Royal Mail piped in Magic and it, well, wasn't.

Not around Chrimbo. No no no no no no no.

My local Co op has a decent radio station. Well. Unpredictable. Weird old hits I like but then the odd new thing I can't even Soundhound that sounds generic but inoffensive. As a musician, and bedroom producer, it's pretty uplifting. I mainly like it as it isn't the same old bloody hits. It's a bit of Julian Lennon then some random mid 2010s band or warbling bird. I find it fascinating!

Probably wouldn't if I listened to it 38 hours a week mind.

Blinder Data

Quote from: ToneLa on February 22, 2019, 01:11:36 PM
My local Co op has a decent radio station. Well. Unpredictable. Weird old hits I like but then the odd new thing I can't even Soundhound that sounds generic but inoffensive. As a musician, and bedroom producer, it's pretty uplifting. I mainly like it as it isn't the same old bloody hits. It's a bit of Julian Lennon then some random mid 2010s band or warbling bird. I find it fascinating!

Doesn't co op have its own radio station?

Mercifully my own office is too big to have constant radio. When I last worked in one that had a radio, I was involved in a passive-agressive conflict with an anonymous coworker. He/she was a Radio 2 believer while I had pledged my loyalty to 6 Music. I think I won most of the battles but they won the war.

Icehaven

I was in the enormous Polish supermarket near my house last night and they were playing some extremely expletive laden gangster rap at such volume that you could definitely hear all the blue words. I normally love going in there as it feels like being in a cartoon, everything on the (very, very long) shelves is lined up perfectly symmetrically and it's always completely deserted, but the unpleasant music ruined the effect. I'm going to take them in a copy of Theme from A Summer Place and ask them to put that on tonight.

thraxx

My shitting Christ, the gym I use has KISS on at stupidly high volume and they play literally only 6 terrible tunes in a loop.  I find it very difficult to deal with, proper sonic torture.

PlanktonSideburns

Matt berry bellows his way into the thread, pound notes tucked under his eyes

Phil_A

Sometimes we have Magic Soul on in the office, which is more bearable than some as it's all just Motown & seventies disco classics, but at the same time it has an almost endearingly pathetic quality to it, as the DJ's try desperately to make it appear like the songs playing are their own choices which they've just decided to play, rather than picked from a very, very small available selection from the station's playlist that is exactly the same from week to week to week, forever.

Lamarr(British R&B sensation Lamarr, not the ex-Buzzcocks violenceman) has a show on there at the weekend. I know this because it's trailed every twenty minutes or so to the point where I can quote his unconvincing spiel almost from memory - "What's up you beeootiful people, it's Lamarr here(JAMES BROWN TRUMPET PARPS)". The way he almost begs you to "let me soundtrack your weekend" is just pure desolation. To've gone from being someone with a moderate amount of success to being the weekend DJ on an unloved digital station with a tiny audience share of people who probably don't give a shit what they listen to, it just feels so bleak.

We in the UK are blessed even in terms of the shitty commercial stations, I lived in Australia for a year and we had a local radio station that played the same fucking songs at the same fucking time of day for months on end. When you always arrive at work at 9 to Pink's "Who Knew" and leave at 5 to The Chilli Pepper's "Dani California" then the concept of Groundhog Day becomes a reality.

Captain Poodle Basher

No workplace radio here thankfully.

About ten years ago, I was doing an IT rollout in a production plant. We could only do the process floor at the weekend when it was quiet. There was a small office at the other side of the aircraft hangar of a process area which was locked. Whichever bastard worked in that office had linked a local Country & Irish radio station to the PA system and it was pumping out mawkish tearjerkers at ear-shredding volume. I had to borrow a pair of ear defenders to try and block out the worst of it.

The only breaks came from awful "Only 20 yards from this cinema" style adverts for farming supplies, "Clonrichert GAA club are holding a fund-raising Novena and cake sale" and "You'll never guess who's dead" type announcements where the death of Joe (Josie) Murphy of Ballynumpty was uttered in solemn tones before the twee nonsense would start up again.

Ornlu

Quote from: thraxx on February 22, 2019, 03:32:24 PM
My shitting Christ, the gym I use has KISS on at stupidly high volume and they play literally only 6 terrible tunes in a loop.  I find it very difficult to deal with, proper sonic torture.

Which six? Reckon you could get a good pace going to Love Gun.

thraxx

Quote from: Ornlu on March 02, 2019, 09:37:44 PM
Which six? Reckon you could get a good pace going to Love Gun.

The one that goes:

Little disciple.

The one that goes:

When the sun goes down.

The ones that goes:

Bingle bingle bing, bingle bingle bong, bingledy bong bong

The one that goes:

Sexes with my exes when they want a second chance.

The one that whinges:

I want a girlfriend.

That one that goes:

That one about nothing breaking like a fucking heart.

Ornlu

Spiteface

Quote from: sillymisslily on February 21, 2019, 11:15:09 PM
Feel like this has been covered before on here but anyway

When I worked at the council housing reception there was a war of attrition with the radio. The apprentices wanted Capital but someone kicked off when one of the Little Mix songs alluded to faking an orgasm so then it was Smooth and a constant parade of nauseating love songs which made some poor sod being kicked out by his girlfriend cry on occasion. Then it was the local radio station which wasn't terrible. Then the office busybody took it upon herself to change it to Radio 2 because playing commercial radio meant we were advertising or some bollocks. So we were trying to talk to inconsolable homeless people while Jeremy Vine was having a chat with Jamie Bulger's mum. Someone fucked with the dial so it didn't work after that, so people were begging for a council house in blissful silence.

At my works now it's THIS IS HEEAAAAARRRRTTTT. Ed Sheeran, Jess Glynne, other dregs of mainstream pop music and the occasional dance track within about two hours of each other. The presenters are like overly jovial stepdads on Christmas Day trying to cajole you into having fun, calling every song a "banger" or an "anthem" and telling us to "turn up the feel good" whatever that means. Pretty inoffensive and we all text in to try and get 30 grand because we've heard three Bruno Mars songs in a row and then going all tinfoil hat when the winner has some sob story about being in remission or not having enough money for the bus.

HEART EIGHTIIIIIIIEEEEEES!

I "win"

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper is the worst song ever and I will fight ANYONE who disagrees with that.
Thing is, I have tried. I'll put something else on, and it inevitably goes back to Heart 80s by the time I turn up to work the next morning.