Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:59:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Here, when does South Park get good, like?

Started by alan nagsworth, February 22, 2019, 11:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: mojo filters on February 23, 2019, 02:56:24 PM
I reserve the right to not be designated a numpty for my admittedly limited-appeal and undoubtedly contentious opinion that there's something not quite right with grown men and women playing video games.

What decade are you living in, or rather what century?  I'd say get with the times, grandad but even grandad's are playing videogames these days.  What you are spouting is every bit as absurd as claiming that adults watching movies is "not quite right".  Therefore, I regret to inform you that you absolutely do not reserve the right to not be designated a numpty.

Twed

Hm, everybody in my family played computer games, from the late-80s through to now. My parents (who are now 60), my sister, me. I'm sorry your world is bereft of that joy mojo.

RedRevolver

Odd take, but I'd recommend watching all of it so you can have the enjoyment of playing the games.

RedRevolver

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 23, 2019, 10:13:52 AM
Uh, mate.  Trey Parker and Matt Stone are gamers themselves.  They weren't mocking all adults who play videogames in the 'Make Love, Not Warcraft' episode but rather a particular, unhealthy and obsessive gaming lifestyle.  Are you unaware that the vast majority of gamers are above the age of 18?

Also, the games are like extended, interactive episodes with a lot of callbacks to the earlier series.

With some of the scenes far cruder than anything they've shown on TV.

The games are, in my opinion, the best thing they've ever done with the SP universe.

St_Eddie

Quote from: RedRevolver on February 24, 2019, 04:05:40 AM
With some of the scenes far cruder than anything they've shown on TV.

Except for my bullshit censored European PS3 copy.

NoSleep

I reserve the right to not be designated a numpty for my admittedly limited-appeal and undoubtedly contentious opinion that there's something not quite right with grown men and women playing video games.

What about cartoons?

petril

yeah I'm just gonnae reserve the right to designate you a numpty for that

the science eel

Watch that one with the J-Lo hand puppet thing. That might be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

St_Eddie

Quote from: NoSleep on February 24, 2019, 10:38:32 AM
What about cartoons?

"Imagine an adult watching Watership Down or the works of Studio Ghibli.  Something not quite right about that.  Once you hit the age of 18, you must immediately cease to watch anything that is animated." ~ Mr. Numpty

NoSleep

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 24, 2019, 12:12:03 PM
"Imagine an adult watching South Park.  Something not quite right about that.  Once you hit the age of 18, you must immediately cease to watch anything that is animated." ~ Mr. Numpty

FTFY

St_Eddie

Quote from: NoSleep on February 24, 2019, 12:17:27 PM
FTFY

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.  I was only quoting his jelly brained Lordship.

NoSleep

St_Eddie

Quote from: NoSleep on February 24, 2019, 12:44:47 PM
I was just trying to stay on topic.

Well, that's very reasonable of you.  How dare you be so reasonable!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Having said Nagsworth might as well give up if the first three series didn't work for him, I just remembered my own experience of watching Mr. Show. So yeah, perhaps skipping forward to series 5-8 might be an idea.

Lost Oliver

Fell in love with Stick of Truth. It was basically a marathon episode and a laugh a minute.

Bought the Fractured But Whole about three months ago, stuck it in and just couldn't be arsed. What's changed? Is it me? Or is the start just a bit South Park by numbers?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Lost Oliver on February 26, 2019, 11:04:45 AM
Fell in love with Stick of Truth. It was basically a marathon episode and a laugh a minute.

Bought the Fractured But Whole about three months ago, stuck it in and just couldn't be arsed. What's changed? Is it me? Or is the start just a bit South Park by numbers?
I agree, there's something missing. I finished SoT and wanted more, but I haven't yet finished FbW and got bored. Maybe it's FbW cribs more from the recent South Park stuff which wasn't too strong (Memberberries, PC Principle etc). Plus I believe FbW had a difficult development, being delayed a few times.

idunnosomename

Can I give a shout for Trapped In The Closet for mashing up taking the piss out of R Kelly with revealing the whole Xenu creation myth that wasn't that well known to the general public back then.

Also credit because it cost them Isaac Hayes, but then he was kind of a relic of the early catchphrase-keyring days and they didn't really need him anymore. And he died anyway I guess

Shoulders?-Stomach!

When they turn Randy into a channel to take the piss out of reactionaries and middle aged men - Gold

When Butters takes a more prominent role, almost like a series 1 kid meeting a series 6 one, it's so good.

After 5 and 6 there are more episodes that lean heavily on an entire premise and can leave you cold, then others that get it so so right.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on February 26, 2019, 11:31:23 AM
I agree, there's something missing. I finished SoT and wanted more, but I haven't yet finished FbW and got bored. Maybe it's FbW cribs more from the recent South Park stuff which wasn't too strong (Memberberries, PC Principle etc). Plus I believe FbW had a difficult development, being delayed a few times.

Glad to hear it's not just me but it has put me off giving it another play through.