Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:32:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Mr Bean thread

Started by StillInGlenrowan, February 22, 2019, 01:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StillInGlenrowan

Well, The Curse of Mr. Bean:

Do you think Bean ever goes after those boys who caused him to fall from the diving board?

Likewise, I wish i could be a fly on the wall when the parents of the little girl in the yellow swimsuit realise that she's got a pair of men's swim trunks with her as well as her snorkel.

I wonder if the women's swimming class that Bean flashes are traumatised for long?

I have a family photo from that era taken at my local swimming centre of the beginners swimmers class and EVERY ONE of the small girls is wearing some variation of the swimsuit the little girl in The Curse of Mr Bean wore.

And of course even if eighties culture and fashion hadn't "hung over" into the early nineties, since there was no year zero, 1990 is part of the previous decade.

Mr. Bean thwarted by a kindergartner and then horrifying helpless women:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKgWSnYWNE

I occasionally think about what fictional characters do after the story is over, and how their lives might continue. However, one can overthink such things, particularly in the area of slapstick where IRL such antics would often result in arrest, injury or death.

I mean, in one Mr Bean outing he literally headbutts the Queen. Tell me that wouldn't have serious consequences.

Captain Z

Did Mr Bean suddenly start appearing in your Youtube recommendations too?

ToneLa

This is on the Flix at the moment and I have enjoyed the odd jump in

That one where he's making a butty on a park bench is fantastic. I also enjoy when he follows an old man to the toilet with his hand in his pants. It's like he saw my life and put it on the screen!

And when he has his finger stuck in his flies, looking like he's got his knob out for the Queen.  Gazumping a cripple in the hospital queue. Or when he's doing DIY and saws through Princess Diana's head.

Good wholesome fun!

At the risk of sounding toxic, his bird seemed a bit alright too. Good old Mr Bean.

My favourite sociopath. I'd ignore his bullshit too if it was merely and only in my peripheral vision. Too dangerous for a kickoff. Fella belongs in fucking jail

StillInGlenrowan

That's why i fear for Little Imp in Yellow Swimsuit if Bean ever comes after her for walking off with his trunks. He's a sociopath and spiteful and capable of violence, and unless that swimsuit can turn her into Super Ted, she wouldn't stand a chance.

ajsmith2

As a lonely and socially moribund teenager in the the early-mid 90s, I used to hang around the video shelves of Woolworths and John Menzies obsessing over the pastille colour coding of the early Mr Bean videos, also noting how they only included 2 25 minute episodes per tape rather than the customary 3 of the time.

ToneLa

Some of these animated series episodes are a bit rich for kids

In one, it's well bleak. Mr Bean walks down the road to try out his new Reeboks and ends up accidentally kicking a dog to death at nightnight beneath the orange halogen. Mr Bean crowbars into the orphanage for a hearty wank and ends up burning it down with the kids slumbering in their beds after trying to make some post-tug toast. But worst of all... Mr Bean becomes President of the United States, eh, readers? The laugh track is bizarre too, you can hear the spite in their voices.

Cunt can't even say Sorry

"Too Far, Mr Bean"

StillInGlenrowan

Come to think of it, Little Imp in Yellow Swimsuit getting Super Ted powers would make a good spin-off. She'd be sort of like a British live action Powerpuff Girl...

ToneLa

I'd watch it for sure, just... Not sure it would be the box-office smash that Old Man Needing Toilet was when it hit the silver screen

Goddamn, why is that so dang watchable? A spellbinding minimalist  franchise if there ever was one.

ajsmith2

I've said it on here several times before, but 'Have you seen Unseen Bean?' is the greatest line in the whole of the League of Gentlemen, and one of the greatest in all of comedy imo. I know if comes from the not completely well received film, but it's brilliant. The way it turns a forgotten Xmas stocking filler video (which cheekily contained an episode deliberately held back from broadcast to make more money) into this bizarre tautology.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: ajsmith2 on February 22, 2019, 01:52:00 PM
As a lonely and socially moribund teenager in the the early-mid 90s, I used to hang around the video shelves of Woolworths and John Menzies obsessing over the pastille colour coding of the early Mr Bean videos, also noting how they only included 2 25 minute episodes per tape rather than the customary 3 of the time.

This stinginess continued when the show first came to DVD in 2004 and they shamelessly spread the 14 total episodes across 5 separate volumes over the next 3 years. A few years after that, they put out the series again in "digitally remastered" form, this time spreading the episodes across only 3 volumes but then cheekily adding a "volume 4" which - absent any indication on the cover - only actually contained the "Best Bits" special and the "Story of Mr Bean" documentary.

Annoyingly, in America the entire series was simply released as a 3-disc box set in 2003 with the extra sketches and documentary included.

Anyway, you can get the whole collection for about £10 on Amazon now, so I suppose none of this really matters.

I like the bit in the Christmas special where he messes about with the nativity scene.

Tony Yeboah

Dorothy: I've been cursed by the God of crap boyfriends. I'll probably end up with Mr Bean next.
Gary: He's funny.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on February 22, 2019, 04:47:36 PM
I like the bit in the Christmas special where he messes about with the nativity scene.

'I am a Dalek; I am a Dalek!'  My housemate and me both pissed ourselves when that first aired.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on February 22, 2019, 04:47:36 PM
This stinginess continued when the show first came to DVD in 2004 and they shamelessly spread the 14 total episodes across 5 separate volumes over the next 3 years. A few years after that, they put out the series again in "digitally remastered" form, this time spreading the episodes across only 3 volumes but then cheekily adding a "volume 4" which - absent any indication on the cover - only actually contained the "Best Bits" special and the "Story of Mr Bean" documentary.

Annoyingly, in America the entire series was simply released as a 3-disc box set in 2003 with the extra sketches and documentary included.

Anyway, you can get the whole collection for about £10 on Amazon now, so I suppose none of this really matters.

What annoys me most is the Complete Bean boxset is missing all the Comci Releif specials. Its not complete!!!

Bean eating breakfast and cleaning his teeth on the main road was one of the best routines Harold Lloyd or Laurel and Hardy never did.

DrGreggles

I like the one with Richard Briers.
https://youtu.be/9rCnLFamb0c

The double-take at 5:55 is fantastic.

StillInGlenrowan

Taken from The Simpsons: Mr. Bean as Prime Minister, instead of Tony Blair?

St_Eddie

Quote from: StillInGlenrowan on February 22, 2019, 01:44:40 PM
That's why i fear for Little Imp in Yellow Swimsuit if Bean ever comes after her for walking off with his trunks. He's a sociopath and spiteful and capable of violence, and unless that swimsuit can turn her into Super Ted, she wouldn't stand a chance.

Where does everyone stand on the theory that Mr. Bean Burger is an alien, in human disguise?  Sorta like Under the Skin but with more slapstick.

StillInGlenrowan

I just realised how impractical it would be to fly around like Super Ted in that swimsuit. At least Super Ted wears clothes, what the Little Imp is wearing in Mr Bean would make her very cold if she was visiting Spotty Man or Mother Nature.

St_Eddie

Quote from: StillInGlenrowan on February 23, 2019, 01:02:31 PM
At least Super Ted wears clothes...

I had a SuperTed outfit when I was a kid.  Used to wear it as often as I could.  My Mum has photographic evidence in one of the family albums.  I should probably take a shredder to said photos, just to be on the safe side.

St_Eddie

Quote from: StillInGlenrowan on February 23, 2019, 01:02:31 PM
...if she was visiting Spotty Man...

Oh no!  Don't say that...

Cunt outta be on the register.

ToneLa

That spotty cunt belongs in fucking jail!

buttgammon

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 23, 2019, 10:33:48 AM
Where does everyone stand on the theory that Mr. Bean Burger is an alien, in human disguise?  Sorta like Under the Skin but with more slapstick.

The title sequence seems to suggest this might be the case.

I enjoy ruining the programme for people by pointing out he's probably just 'on the spectrum', and it's therefore a bit tasteless to laugh at his foibles.

ToneLa

TV Tropes sez

QuoteBean falling out of a beam of light during the opening credits, to the musical accompaniment of soft Latin chanting, hymn-like. One suggestion is that he is a Fallen Angel who was so clumsy and troublesome that he was dismissed from heaven, or more humorously literally stumbled out of heaven, or even an Angel Unaware, perhaps

I like this one

The Tropes also sez the animated cartoon made the Alien theory canon!

What if the Thing met Mr Bean?

Captain Z

The alien thing makes more sense than an angel because of the effect he has on TVs.

StillInGlenrowan

The synopsis of Super Ted suggests SOMEONE was on something:

A defective children's toy becomes animate and sapient when a spotted alien sprinkles him with magic powder, and then the alien takes him to Mother Nature, who turns him into a superhero. He then trots the globe with the alien in tow, fighting an evil cowboy whose minions are a dimwitted giant and a living skeleton.

St_Eddie

Quote from: ToneLa on February 23, 2019, 01:57:16 PM
What if the Thing met Mr Bean?

Post assimilation, Mr. Bean-Thing would have to act exactly how non-assimilated Mr. Bean acted, as not to arouse suspicion but given how odd Mr. Five Bean Salad acted (not to mention that he may have been an alien himself), this would be counter-productive and only draw further suspicion.  Still, it's the only way the Thing knows and as such, it would get into crazy hijinks, generally being mindful to try and limit those hijinks to half an hour or so each week.  After a while, Mr. Bean-Thing would set alight to itself, out of sheer embarrassment.

Alberon

Terrible video quality here, but I always preferred Monsieur Aubergine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hQGtRj-CP8

StillInGlenrowan

TV advertisers and producers always use little girls, either for mischievous as in Little Imp on Mr Bean, or cute in order to sell products to their parents. That Jimmy Savile/Rolf Harris demographic must be pretty lucrative ;)

This commercial for cheese only works cause of the (ahem) "cute kid":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDGMtYZ8iYE

Quote from: StillInGlenrowan on February 25, 2019, 12:03:51 PM
TV advertisers and producers always use little girls, either for mischievous as in Little Imp on Mr Bean, or cute in order to sell products to their parents. That Jimmy Savile/Rolf Harris demographic must be pretty lucrative ;)

This commercial for cheese only works cause of the (ahem) "cute kid":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDGMtYZ8iYE

I remember a TV advert from 1984 for a shower by (I think) Russel Hobbs.  It's tagline was 'never undress for anything less' and included a piece of music like the classic striptease theme, made to sound a little humorous, with a series of images of clothes being discarded, and, at one point, a young girl of certainly no more than twelve, is shown in close-up, looking right into the camera as she removes a glove slowly, in a mock-seductive way, while staring at the viewer with a smile on her face.  The advertising standards body would immolate anyone daring to release such an advert, these days.