Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:37:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grange Hill

Started by jamiefairlie, February 22, 2019, 10:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I wrote lyrics to the Grange Hill theme tune for your pleasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRPMMludWWQ

This was done ages ago before I knew how to rip video off the innernet, so the video is filmed off a computer screen using a camcorder.

NEW PAGE- Bronson's got to pay (toupee)

the

Quote from: SteveDave on March 01, 2019, 10:35:03 AMI wrote lyrics to the Grange Hill theme tune for your pleasure

Stellar mate.

Parts of it have a 'The Message' feel to it too :)

Quote from: SteveDave on March 01, 2019, 10:35:03 AM
I wrote lyrics to the Grange Hill theme tune for your pleasure

This was done ages ago before I knew how to rip video off the innernet, so the video is filmed off a computer screen using a camcorder.

NEW PAGE- Bronson's got to pay (toupee)

Don't lie; you did it yesterday. 

Backing vocals are quite nifty.  Was it two mates or brothers, or was it some sort of multitracking thing?

SteveDave

It's all me. Like Kenny Everitt and shit.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 28, 2019, 08:23:04 PM
The death of Toni Karamanopolis : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFdNB4agZUs

Yeah.  I remember when Jeremy wotsisface drowned in the school pool in 1984, there was a big kerfuffle, and the Guardian had a full half-page article about how it was a step forward in gritty realism in kids TV.  I was thinking, well there's already been a dramatic death in GH, just a few years ago, has everyone forgotten that?

Quote from: Mister Six on February 26, 2019, 12:30:04 AM

Wish it had the proper titles, which were all in shades of grey and purple, having been video processed to fuck. Horrible, dour thing, always a real downer having to choose between that and miseryfest Home & Away before jaunty, comforting old Neighbours turned up.

Home and Away came on at 6, after Neighbours finished, didn't it?

Icehaven

I watched it on and off for years from the late 80s to the late 90s but I can barely remember much about it, Ziggy being sexy and Danny Kendall falling dead out of the car is probably the earliest era I remember, then some girl getting knocked up by a fat lad during the summer holidays, then the theme tune changed, then I kind of got too old for it.

Can anyone help me with this; I've got a definite memory of a storyline about a pupil who was a bit of a 'bad boy' having first a crush on, then a brief affair with a dark haired female teacher. Would have been around the mid 90s I think. Then (Neighbours style) the actor tried to have a pop career and released a single called ''Teach Me'' about a pupil fancying his teacher. Imagine that happening now. It was even on TOTP or some Saturday morning kids programme or something and he was dancing around wearing a school uniform and had a blackboard with 'TEACH ME' written on it. I can't find anything about it though, have I totally fabricated this or have I got the wrong programme or something?

Jockice

Zammo's girlfriend Jackie appears in this you know. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0DRch3YLh0

Icehaven

Quote from: icehaven on March 01, 2019, 01:25:34 PM
Can anyone help me with this; I've got a definite memory of a storyline about a pupil who was a bit of a 'bad boy' having first a crush on, then a brief affair with a dark haired female teacher. Would have been around the mid 90s I think. Then (Neighbours style) the actor tried to have a pop career and released a single called ''Teach Me'' about a pupil fancying his teacher. Imagine that happening now. It was even on TOTP or some Saturday morning kids programme or something and he was dancing around wearing a school uniform and had a blackboard with 'TEACH ME' written on it. I can't find anything about it though, have I totally fabricated this or have I got the wrong programme or something?

Found it! It was from series 15, aired in 1992, Ray Haynes (played by Kelly George) and Miss Janowitz, and they didn't have an affair but he kissed her, and then this was released shortly afterwards;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9aIEUe1TTU

Can't find any actual video though.

petril

Quote from: Bobtoo on March 01, 2019, 07:02:25 AM
See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvAf2JipxQ

passes the Gruey test of being able to sing the title along to the melody.

actually works with Grange Hill too

purlieu

Quote from: Mister Six on February 26, 2019, 12:30:04 AM
EDIT: Ah, here we go - lots of miserable gloomy shots of corridors. Just what I want to watch as I have my tea. https://youtu.be/_zEQ6ehAhqk
Honestly, I get all the criticisms towards the music and titles, but nothing brings back a feeling of comforting nostalgia in my like this. I feel so safe and positive about the future when I hear that theme. It's absolutely, with no sense of irony, one of my all-time favourite pieces of music.

It's weird though, I must have watched hundreds of episodes of it - both contemporary and Sunday morning repeats - and don't remember a single plot or character. If I was younger I'd probably try and find a torrent of the entire thing and watch it now.

I recall Danny being a bit of a psycho, occasionally.  On one occasion, he swung at someone with a hammer, not hitting them, but knocking a hole in a wall.

Natnar

I remember some kid (Jeremy?) drowning in the school swimming pool, plus there was some sort of overlong plot about some of the kids finding asbestos in the school and playing with it or something.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I remember a donkey wearing its blazer inside out as some kind of protest, everyone in the school ganging up on "Grabber" Stepson, shouting "Flippin' well pack that bullying and racism and that in, you fucking dickwad" and kicking the shit out of him, ", Felicity Kendall, "Boogie " Nights, " Gopo" Gattison, " Arsehole" Smith and " Fucker" Prendegast all dying completely horrible deaths, "Raymond " Baxter calling Mr. Lee Cornes out of his science lesson, only to punch him in the face, then saying 'slip on your crap comedy routine, did you?", and striding righteously off,  One of the pupils saying "The teachers here are a right bunch of pricks ", but actually pronouncing the last word as "pree", and everyone laughing at her, and one of the pupils injecting crack cocaine directly into their eyeballs, or some such unrealitic shit, leading to the big hit single "Just Don't Inject Crack Cocaine Directly Into Your Eyeballs, You Stupid Fucking Eejits" by The Cunts From Grange Hill.

Grange Hill was great, wasn't it ?

Replies From View

I go through phases where I binge-watch Grange Hill for a couple of weeks.  For me it's a nostalgia for the period in the mid or late 90s when they were repeating 1980s Grange Hill on Sunday mornings.  It was a time of my life when I was still living with my parents and my older brother was visiting for the weekends, and he would sleep on a mattress on my floor on Saturday nights, and we'd watch Sunday morning telly together from our beds in my room.  The first series of TMWRNJ appeared during that time as well, which is why I have particular nostalgia for it compared to Fist of Fun or the second series of TMWRNJ.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Natnar on March 02, 2019, 12:19:44 PM
I remember some kid (Jeremy?) drowning in the school swimming pool, plus there was some sort of overlong plot about some of the kids finding asbestos in the school and playing with it or something.

Jeremy was Jonah's cousin, who had done a one episode appearance as a pupil at Rodney Bennet the year before he replaced the aforementioned Jonah as a full time Holler.

The asbestos was nutter Imelda's plaything as she shoved it down people's jumpers, ripping their skin.

the

Wasn't it something more akin to fibreglass insulation?

pigamus

Fun fact: I've just remembered that Sarah from Press Gang was Gonch Gardner's sister.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: pigamus on March 02, 2019, 04:48:34 PM
Fun fact: I've just remembered that Sarah from Press Gang was G KBonch Gardner's sister.
In -Universe or IRL ?

DrGreggles

Quote from: pigamus on March 02, 2019, 04:48:34 PM
Fun fact: I've just remembered that Sarah from Press Gang was Gonch Gardner's sister.

Press Gang was great, but the lass that played Sarah might just be the worst actor of all time.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: the on March 02, 2019, 04:25:23 PM
Wasn't it something more akin to fibreglass insulation?

Ha, you've reminded me that once at my school someone smashed a hole in a wall revealing the fibreglass inside, which a bunch of us thought was cool and pulled off a piece and put it in our pockets.  I threw away the bit I'd saved not long after as it was very itchy!

Replies From View

Always put fibreglass down the front of your trousers; that's my motto.

pigamus

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 02, 2019, 11:54:53 PM
Press Gang was great, but the lass that played Sarah might just be the worst actor of all time.

Nah, she wasn't that bad. She just had a very boring voice.

ToneLa

Quote from: Glebe on February 27, 2019, 12:50:59 PM
If Zammo hadn't of gone 'chasing the dragon', he wouldn't of nae got all fucked and sat vacant-eyed on the floor in a locker room or summit creating one of the most enduring images of eighties British television.

Nor would I use, when absolutely stoned to the point of being unable to move, the lovely phrase 'I'm absolutely Zammoed'

Replies From View

Quote from: ToneLa on March 04, 2019, 07:41:19 AM
Nor would I use, when absolutely stoned to the point of being unable to move, the lovely phrase 'I'm absolutely Zammoed'

In that famous cliffhanger I assumed he was dead until he appeared in the next episode like nothing had happened.  Very strange.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 02, 2019, 11:54:53 PM

Not while her who plays Rosie Webster exists she's not.

pigamus

Quote from: Jockice on March 04, 2019, 12:46:30 PM
Not while her who plays Rosie Webster exists she's not.

Funny that there wasn't more terrible acting in Grange Hill, when you consider most of them had never done it before and would never really do it again. Were there any real stinkers?

Quote from: pigamus on March 04, 2019, 12:55:32 PM
Funny that there wasn't more terrible acting in Grange Hill, when you consider most of them had never done it before and would never really do it again. Were there any real stinkers?

I've not watched more than the odd repeated scene, since my teens, thirty years ago.  I bet if I did, I wouldn't believe what I found passable, acting-wise, when I was around the age of the actors/characters.

pigamus

It never had a reputation for bad acting though, did it? I suspect Phil Redmond was probably quite a tough judge.