Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stanley Donen Dead

Started by ajsmith2, February 23, 2019, 03:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This was one of those "Presumed he'd died decades ago" situations for me, but I love Singing In The Rain and am very fond of On The Town and Bedazzled, so it's a shame he's no longer with us to share tales of what it was like to work on such movies.

Keebleman

The last living director - of any significance at any rate - from Hollywood's Golden Age.

As he was so young at that time his career extended well into the eighties.  Credits from that decade include Saturn 3 and that precursor of Operation Yewtree but in rom-com form, Blame It On Rio.  Actually, he was only 60 when that was made so he could have gone on a lot longer.

I was reading about him only yesterday, a Mark Cousins article about how dark his later work was.  It wasn't really convincing: Two for the Road was the main film cited, but I haven't seen that.  He also talked about Bedazzled which is a terrific and surprising film, but I think it would have been even more so with a less conventional director.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Two for the Road is an amazing film. Go and see it. Besides, you'll celebrate both Donen and Albert Finney in a single stroke.

Keebleman

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on February 23, 2019, 08:50:26 PM
Two for the Road is an amazing film. Go and see it. Besides, you'll celebrate both Donen and Albert Finney in a single stroke.

That's a good idea.  Will see if I can get a DVD.

His film of The Little Prince is on Netflix.  Is that any good?  I've only seen those clips of Bob Fosse as a snake.

biggytitbo

Saturn 3 is his best film, you get to see Kirk Douglas' nob in it, which says more than a million fancy tracking shots.

Keebleman

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 23, 2019, 09:32:36 PM
Saturn 3 is his best film, you get to see Kirk Douglas' nob in it, which says more than a million fancy tracking shots.

His bum, but not his knob.  Plus one of Farrah Fawcett's boobs.  As a kid I was amazed that an A-certificate film would show even that much.

Gulftastic

Singin' In The Rain has been my favourite film for as long as I can remember. RIP to the bloke.

zomgmouse

Echoing the sadness and the brilliance of a lot of the aforementioned films. Also Charade is amazing, if you've not seen it please do!

McChesney Duntz

Freaky - just ran across his 1979 mock-thirties-double-feature Movie Movie on Prime last night for the first time in many years and started watching. Stopped about twenty minutes in, as the parody, while accurate look-and-feel-wise, rather lacked in, um, funny. But now I may have to go back and finish it as a show of respect (or to make up for the disrespect I just exhibited, thinking that MAD magazine's name for him from their old Charade parody - "Stanley Done-In" - is finally accurate). Or just watch Bedazzled for the thousandth time.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Keebleman on February 23, 2019, 09:43:59 PM
His bum, but not his knob.  Plus one of Farrah Fawcett's boobs.  As a kid I was amazed that an A-certificate film would show even that much.

I could have swore you saw his nob, maybe I imagined it, or it was a bit of scenery?