Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:19:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story (Frank Sidebottom documentary)

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, February 24, 2019, 10:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Trailer for the film, which is finally out in March: https://youtu.be/_wHcHaPkYnw

I'm very, very excited about this. It's been in production since 2012, a process which included a fittingly shambolic unintentional tribute to Frank when, a couple of years in, the filmmaker realised that he should be filming it in HD, resulting in him having to reshoot all of the interviews.

And there's Bobbins, an exhibition of the Frank Sidebottom/Chris Sievey archive in Manchester too: http://www.librarylive.co.uk/event/bobbins-the-fantastic-archive-of-frank-sidebottom-and-chris-sievey/

Any Frank fans here?

Bennett Brauer

I was hoping to get to the Caernarfon showing of this on Tuesday, but no can do. It does look ace though.
Wonder if the subject of the two fake Franks that used to do public appearances will come up. There must be a fair few people who still wrongly think they've met Chris Sievey.

(There's another recent thread in the Film Forum https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,71821.0.html)

thugler

Managed to see a preview of this the other day. It was great, had no idea of the sheer extent of the creativity of the man behind Frank. It maybe slightly overstated the popularity of Sidebottom, but it didn't gloss over Sievey's personal troubles, pretty evenhanded overall. Really enjoyed it and there was a remarkable wealth of material and some fantastic interviews with the people in his life telling tales.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 24, 2019, 10:58:54 AM
Wonder if the subject of the two fake Franks that used to do public appearances will come up. There must be a fair few people who still wrongly think they've met Chris Sievey.

I haven't heard that before but I hope it's true.

As for overstating his popularity, I haven't seen the film yet but I'm always surprised by just how many people (in the north-west at least) know who Frank is. It's remarkable that a surreal, outsider artist ended up being a regular on evening TV.

Sebastian Cobb

It's on at the Glasgow film festival so will probably pop in for that.

Saw it last May at the Seattle International Film Festival; it's very good, though you can feel how filleted they've had to make it to fit into a feature running time. Definitely could have been a two or three part TV miniseries, even just by including longer clips of Frank.

ajsmith2

Saw it in Glasgow yesterday, absolutely fantastic. As said above, just the wealth of material ideas and documentation that exists of this crazy inspired entertainment polymath means this was never going to miss. Chris Sievey himself is a much more fascinating character than Frank, glad this doc really gets that across.

Twed

Not only is this available to stream right now in the US, but it's only $3 or FREE with Amazon Prime. Ridiculous.

Captain Crunch

Also if you can possibly make it to the exhibition then you won't be disappointed.  You get an idea of the scale of the artefacts from this clip but there's also hours and hours and hours of video and audio archive to enjoy.  Well worth the trip and great way to lose a day or two. 

I'm only halfway through this but Iain Lee's podcast of him wandering around the exhibition is a good listen: https://play.acast.com/s/latenightswithiainlee/thelatenightalternativewithiainlee-bonuspodcast-bobbins-franksidebottomandchrissievey

I'm taking a day off work to go and see the film and the exhibition next week. I can't wait.

Ringside

Quote from: Twed on March 26, 2019, 07:30:14 PM
Not only is this available to stream right now in the US, but it's only $3 or FREE with Amazon Prime. Ridiculous.

Thanks! I never think to look at Prime...my wife uses it more than I do.

That's tonight sorted.

Twed

I'm looking forward to watching it! Purchased it at full price to support the creators, and so I can pirate a copy to keep without DRM and feel okay about that.

Sebastian Cobb

DrGreggles

Which method of seeing it will provide the most return to the makers?
I'll probably do that one.

olliebean

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 29, 2019, 08:30:31 AM
I'll probably do that one.

See it however you like and send them a thousand quid.

DrGreggles

Quote from: olliebean on March 29, 2019, 08:37:46 AM
See it however you like and send them a thousand quid.

I already contributed 5% of that, so I'm getting there.

Flouncer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 29, 2019, 08:11:14 AM
Think I'm going to see this at the weekend.

I'm going tomorrow. Conveniently I've got a Prime trial on the go at the moment too.

Wet Blanket

I've got tickets to a screening with a director's Q&A in May, but that feels like aeons away. Tempted to see it this week too on the basis it should have decent re-watch factor

TheDHolford

Going to see it tomorrow, so glad that HOME Manchester are showing it a few times. I was too young to ever really know who Frank Sidebottom was when he was around properly, but I'm so interested and intrigued by him and his creation now!

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 29, 2019, 08:30:31 AM

Anyone genuinely know?

phes

I think they mentioned on the Ian Lee podcast the seeing it in the cinema would, but I was kinda only giving it half attention. Maybe someone else can clarify

I'm off to the exhibition today and a viewing of the film tonight. Super excited of course!

Twed

Watched it last night, really good. Make sure to stick around for the post-credits.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on March 29, 2019, 02:21:19 PM
Watched it last night, really good. Make sure to stick around for the post-credits.

Does it set up a Timperley Cinematic Universe?

Twed

madhair60

Uncle Pigg sat in the shadows wanting to discuss "The Oink Initiative"

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 24, 2019, 03:06:41 PMAs for overstating his popularity, I haven't seen the film yet but I'm always surprised by just how many people (in the north-west at least) know who Frank is. It's remarkable that a surreal, outsider artist ended up being a regular on evening TV.
I remember him firstly from Saturday morning ITV (early 90s?)... not sure if the show in question was just a North West thing or not. But I'd guess that's where a lot of people around my age (38) would have first seen him.

Uncle TechTip

He was also on the Granada arts shows a lot, and regional news too. He'd sometimes turn up in shows like No Limits as well.

petril

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 29, 2019, 07:21:59 PM
I remember him firstly from Saturday morning ITV (early 90s?)... not sure if the show in question was just a North West thing or not. But I'd guess that's where a lot of people around my age (38) would have first seen him.

aye, he kept turning up on whatever ITV had on Saturdays from the mid 80s to the early 90s, it seemed.

Rolf Lundgren

The DVD is coming soon but tempted to buy it on YouTube and watch it there as there isn't a showing nearby. So glad it's getting great reviews as Steve Sullivan put a lot of work into it.