Author Topic: Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story (Frank Sidebottom documentary)  (Read 4161 times)

kalowski

• Sooner or later

Bennett Brauer

• I'm not "likeable"
Re: Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story (Frank Sidebottom documentary)
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »

Giles Coren's restaurant reviews have let themselves go.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2019, 10:08:22 PM »
I watched this tonight and absolutely adored it, it's the best documentary I've seen in years and even if you're not a fan I'm sure you'd still find it fascinating. Only £3.49 in SD too which is a bargain and then some.

Bit of my Frank collection here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/otdf1gi89uvh8sp/AACwIhi94V2TrF377ITsh3-xa?dl=0

Thanks so much for that, I can't wait to explore more of his work.

Phoenix Lazarus

• Why bother writing stuff below your avatar?
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2019, 10:15:43 PM »
I've only occasionally seen bits of him.  One time was on some kids' Saturday morning TV programme, in the 90s.  After kicking a ball into a TV studio goalmouth, he got on a miniature bus and rode round, singing 'guess who's just been match on the day; I have; it's a very good show,' over-and-over, in a deadpan voice.  Somehow, I couldn't help but find this drily amusing.

Blue Jam

• OPERATION THUNDERBARGE
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2019, 03:17:14 AM »

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »
I've never particularly been a Frank fan but the documentary is compulsive viewing and, as said, ultimately rather sad. We see Sievey's handwritten 5-year timeline for what he planned to achieve with Frank's 00s comeback, and while the "Book" and "Film" would have been fascinating to see, imagine what he could have done with his own YouTube channel with some decent production values.

In fact, while none of the Freshies songs heard in the doco really grabbed me (they all sounded a bit too generically punk-poppy, but minus any really strong melodic hooks), I was seriously impressed with the quality of what Sievey was doing with video back in the early 80s when the equipment to make home videos was horrifically expensive.

And that ZX81 program that precisely synced lyrics and animated graphics with the song - that was *very* cleverly done.

He looks like he was a handy stop-motion animator too.