Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:46:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Burnistoun Tunes In

Started by Malcy, February 24, 2019, 02:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

This is on tonight on the new BBC Scotland channel. You can watch it live on the iPlayer and catch-up.

It's a one off special about the history of TV. Game Of Thrones, quiz shows etc it seems. They were on the radio promoting it this morning and teasing a big announcement but haven't heard what it is yet.

Glad it's on after Still Game which looks fucking woeful again so it will be good to have something funny on.

Rizla

Still Game. Still fucking unfunny shite. Did they ever actually write jokes or was it always just old man says rude swear? Scene there with J&V buying mobile phones was utterly reeking. This whole new channel feels wrong. Not into it. Half arsed, doesn't seem like anyone's properly invested. I'm sure Burnistoun will be good though.

jsgibble

It's a bit of a bug bear for me when a sitcom has a plot where a video goes viral with millions of views, it's just unrealistic. I liked in the Partridge special about class they said the clip of him talking about chavs went viral and it showed a picture of it on 150 views.

Hope Burnistoun is better than Still game

ToneLa

Quote from: Rizla on February 24, 2019, 09:18:59 PM
Still Game. Still fucking unfunny shite.

Always on Netflix recommendeds, that

Thanks for saving me a thread

Malcy

Superb that. Really laughed. It showed Still Game right up. Shame it was a one off. Biscuity Boyle live again next month to look forward to now.

Rizla

That was very good I thought, lots of laughs. The munchy box sketch was particularly great, as was all the tattie scone-based humour.I loved the invision announcer stuff too, only the Tornface sketch didn't really work for me but at least it was short.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Malcy on February 24, 2019, 10:36:24 PM
Superb that. Really laughed. It showed Still Game right up. Shame it was a one off. Biscuity Boyle live again next month to look forward to now.

The irony being that the plot of Still Game was just Burnistoun's 2 Litre Bottle of Ginger sketch stretched out to 30 minutes and minus the jokes.

Pseudopath

Lots of fun. Particularly liked the "Smoke weed everyday" polis sketch as my mate used to have that song as his ringtone and it became a running joke every time he received a call.

Cuntbeaks

I cringed and squirmed throughout the whole of Burnistoun. Absolutely fucking woeful.

Devoid of jokes, a sickening over reliance on the Glaswegian accent, insular and simply not funny. Too many half arsed ideas and not enough actual quality. A fucking embarrassment if truth be told

ToneLa

Tags: Mid-80s Morrissey considers rewrite

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: ToneLa on February 24, 2019, 09:26:47 PM
Always on Netflix recommendeds, that

Thanks for saving me a thread

The show has been incredibly patchy and frustrating since it was revived a few years ago, but the original run (series 1-6) is still held in high regard by a lot of folk on here. It's got a fantastic ensemble cast and it strikes a very particular balance between farce and pathos without being cloying or mawkish.

Talulah, really!

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Talulah, really! on February 24, 2019, 11:33:34 PM
...and what could be more Scottish than that.

Is cringing a uniquely Scottish reaction?

Rev+

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on February 24, 2019, 11:11:16 PM
I cringed and squirmed throughout the whole of Burnistoun. Absolutely fucking woeful.

Devoid of jokes, a sickening over reliance on the Glaswegian accent, insular and simply not funny. Too many half arsed ideas and not enough actual quality. A fucking embarrassment if truth be told

But...  square sausage ninja!  You see, it's funny because square sausage is a Scottish thing.

There were a few muted laughs in this, but that munchie box bit was unforgivably shit, as was the ending Come Dine With Me thing.  The problem with Burnistoun has always been that the writers/performers got nowhere with their more interesting ideas, despite pilots and even series, so they did the big broad bollocks that brings the bucks in.  The man said tatty scones - we have them, don't we Muriel, ah that's funny.

Bronzy

Great, a new Scottish TV channel, surely that means some fresh new local comedy shows!

Looking at the lineup, it's just Still Game, Burnistoun and Scot Squad...

Top stuff BBC, you lazy, patronising twats.

Didn't mind Burnistoun too much though.

Malcy

Quote from: Bronzy on February 25, 2019, 01:51:29 AM
Great, a new Scottish TV channel, surely that means some fresh new local comedy shows!

Looking at the lineup, it's just Still Game, Burnistoun and Scot Squad...

Top stuff BBC, you lazy, patronising twats.

There are several new shows in production with mainly new performers.

Bronzy

Quote from: Malcy on February 25, 2019, 01:52:54 AM
There are several new shows in production with mainly new performers.

Thank god, but I'm not going to be overly optimistic about them being any good.

jamiefairlie

And lots of news and current affairs shows recorded in the local orange lodge.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on February 24, 2019, 11:37:53 PM
Is cringing a uniquely Scottish reaction?

It's certainly quite common, especially in the, shall we say, more loyal communities.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Bronzy on February 25, 2019, 01:56:39 AM
Thank god, but I'm not going to be overly optimistic about them being any good.

Me neither, but they did once produce three series of Limmy's Show so, you know, stranger things have happened.

Bronzy

Do find it funny when left-wingers say the BBC is biased towards the right and right-wingers say it's biased towards the left.

Almost like they're projecting their own biases on to it so they have an excuse to get angry and feel victimised, isn't it?

Such is life.

Bronzy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2019, 02:42:05 AM
Me neither, but they did once produce three series of Limmy's Show so, you know, stranger things have happened.

True, but I suppose he already had a decent fan base by the time his telly show started due to his online stuff and fringe appearances, so the BBC would have been idiots not to have at least given him a chance.

Quote from: Bronzy on February 25, 2019, 02:44:15 AM
Do find it funny when left-wingers say the BBC is biased towards the right and right-wingers say it's biased towards the left.

Almost like they're projecting their own biases on to it so they have an excuse to get angry and feel victimised, isn't it?

It's always been the bloody way. Plus ca change.

Quote from: Bronzy on February 25, 2019, 02:46:08 AM
True, but I suppose he already had a decent fan base by the time his telly show started due to his online stuff and fringe appearances, so the BBC would have been idiots not to have at least given him a chance.

I'm still amazed that they basically just let him do what he wanted with that show. A properly auteured comedy programme made with practically zero interference from The Suits. Hats off to them for that, at least.

Bronzy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2019, 02:47:40 AM
It's always been the bloody way. Plus ca change.

That Jamie fella seems a bit obsessed with the BBC being right-wing and unionist.

Can you tell he supports the SNP?

I wouldn't usually care that much, but it's ridiculously off-topic and he should save that kind of stuff for those mental political threads.

Bronzy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2019, 02:51:16 AM
I'm still amazed that they basically just let him do what he wanted with that show. A properly auteured comedy programme made with practically zero interference from The Suits. Hats off to them for that, at least.

It's fantastic. One of my top 10 favourite comedy shows ever, probably.

I can only assume they either knew his online fans would watch it or that it was ridiculously cheap to make (perhaps a bit of both) because that kind of creative freedom in a comedy show, especially up here, is almost unprecedented.

Malcy

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 25, 2019, 02:13:36 AM
And lots of news and current affairs shows recorded in the local orange lodge.
Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 25, 2019, 02:15:09 AM
It's certainly quite common, especially in the, shall we say, more loyal communities.

Take that shite and put it somewhere else. Preferably up your arse. Got nothing to do with Burnistoun.

Quote from: Malcy on February 25, 2019, 03:13:54 AM
Take that shite and put it somewhere else. Preferably up your arse. Got nothing to do with Burnistoun.

Exactly.

Quote from: Bronzy on February 25, 2019, 02:59:08 AM
It's fantastic. One of top 10 favourite comedy shows ever, probably.

I can only assume they either knew his online fans would watch it or that it was ridiculously cheap to make (perhaps a bit of both) because that kind of creative freedom in a comedy show, especially up here, is almost unprecedented.

Also, it quickly became a critically-acclaimed cult hit and was enthusiastically name-dropped on social media by the likes of Charlie Brooker, Matt Lucas and - no getting around this - Linehan. It also won two Scottish BAFTAs. BBC Scotland and The Comedy Unit would've been very pleased with all of that, hence why they left him alone.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Burnistoun either.