Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Burnistoun Tunes In

Started by Malcy, February 24, 2019, 02:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2019, 03:39:43 AM
Also, it quickly became a critically-acclaimed cult hit and was enthusiastically name-dropped on social media by the likes of Charlie Brooker, Matt Lucas and - no getting around this - Linehan. It also won two Scottish BAFTAs. BBC Scotland and The Comedy Unit would've been very pleased with all of that, hence why they left him alone.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Burnistoun either.

It does in a way. Burnistoun & Limmy's Show aired at the same time. Well i think Burnistoun was the week after Limmy finished but both were a huge success for the BBC. They BBC knew they had 2 hits on their hands that weren't Still Game so i reckon both were encouraged to keep it coming. Burnistoun seemed to be reordered before Limmy if i remember. I can recall Limmy tweeting about another series not being decided etc on more than one occasion.

Maybe because Florence & Connell had a previous relationship with the BBC with writing for Chewing The Fat and the 2 sitcoms they wrote just a couple of years before Burnistoun, Legit & Empty. Thing is, once they weren't on or they didn't want to do more the BBC really scaled back on the comedy. There was a pilot for a new sketch show on one night and it was absolutely dire. I can't remember what it was called but it was on instead of the Goodness Gracious Me reunion episode.

It's only recently it's picked back up again with the brilliant Two Doors Down and unfortunately the revived Still Game. In my opinion Florence & Connell are the cream of Scottish comedy writers. The live Biscuity Boyle show wasn't just hilarious but it had so much heart to it as well. Also saw him do a poetry and stand up show last month which was great. And now he's trying to bring a new generation to the forefront with The State Of It.

I can't understand why Limmy hasn't had offers for more shows on the BBC or anywhere else. I can't get into the Twitch stuff. They know he has a huge following with top selling books and sell out shows that always end up with extra dates added. It's like they see him as a risk or something.

Bronzy

Quote from: Malcy on February 25, 2019, 04:11:32 AM
I can't understand why Limmy hasn't had offers for more shows on the BBC or anywhere else. I can't get into the Twitch stuff. They know he has a huge following with top selling books and sell out shows that always end up with extra dates added. It's like they see him as a risk or something.

I think it's because his humour is quite niche. He's surreal but not whimsically so, like perhaps Vic and Bob or Harry Hill. He's more like Chris Morris for me, often his humour comes from his experiences of mental illness or critiquing social norms (that sounds really wanky, I know). Other times he just takes relatively normal situations and turns them into something hilariously dark. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love him, but it's clear he's never going to have the mass appeal of stuff like Still Game or Two Doors Down, so the BBC are more likely to make shows that fit their mould instead.

It's a shame, but I think online is probably the best place for Limmy, as he can do whatever the fuck he likes and it's easier for him to reach people from outside Scotland, which is good because I think his stuff is almost universal and rarely specific to Scotland. I know I said before that he doesn't have a great deal of mass appeal, but I think that while he often talks about universal experiences, the humour he takes from them is something I don't think most people would necessarily find funny.

Apparently quite a lot of Americans enjoy him, which I found surprising. Though I suppose Limmy's Show is the kind of thing that Adult Swim would probably broadcast.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Malcy on February 25, 2019, 04:11:32 AM

They probably do see him as a risk. As he states in his book, he can't resist saying "awful" things on Twitter because that's his sense of humour and he gets a buzz from indulging his self-destructive impulses. We all know that he's a decent, intelligent, liberal, sensitive bloke, but BBC Scotland probably regard him as a potential liability.

Bronzy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2019, 05:25:34 AM
They probably do see him as a risk. As he states in his book, he can't resist saying "awful" things on Twitter because that's his sense of humour and he gets a buzz from indulging his self-destructive impulses. We all know that he's a decent, intelligent, liberal, sensitive bloke, but BBC Scotland probably regard him as a potential liability.

Agree with this.

As a side note, I recall him saying something about how the things he says to his friends in private group chats and real life conversations are often far far worse/more offensive than anything he says on Twitter. That's funny and worrying at the same time.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I don't find that worrying or unusual, my closest friends and I joke about all manner of appalling things. Don't we all? We love and trust each other enough to know that we don't really mean it (I'm obviously not talking about shitty faux-ironic Gervais-style bigotry here, just bleak comments about the bleakness of life in general).

Limmy doesn't really seem to have the professional entertainer filter that would stop him from saying such things in public. And that's admirable.

I hope he makes a film one day.

Rizla

Quote from: Rev+ on February 25, 2019, 01:31:06 AM
But...  square sausage ninja!  You see, it's funny because square sausage is a Scottish thing.

I think the joke was meant to be more that, often, square (or Lorne, to give it its proper name) sausage from a cafe is hard and unyielding, to the point where it might be used as a deadly weapon. As the Burnistoun lads are of the generation that grew up watching shite kung-fu films on VHS, I thought it was a nice bit of whimsy.

Mind you, Still Game was so unfunny and cynically shat-out that a documentary about, I dunno, flammable orphanages, would have raised more laughs.

Bronzy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2019, 05:50:28 AM
I don't find that worrying or unusual, my closest friends and I joke about all manner of appalling things. Don't we all? We love and trust each other enough to know that we don't really mean it (I'm obviously not talking about shitty faux-ironic Gervais-style bigotry here, just bleak comments about the bleakness of life in general).

Limmy doesn't really seem to have the professional entertainer filter that would stop him from saying such things in public. And that's admirable.

I hope he makes a film one day.

To be fair, what I imagine he says in private probably says more about me and my sick imagination than it does him.

I've always thought it must be weird for his son, eventually he's going to be old enough to fully understand and find his dad's stuff, and I don't envy him when he finds these for the first time:

Fucking hilarious but.

magval

Anyone else catch the Akira soundtrack being remixed for that pizza box sketch? That's an arbitrary decision.