Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I've got a PC in the post...

Started by beanheadmcginty, February 24, 2019, 04:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

My old workhorse Sony all-in-one PC that I bought in 2006 and has served me admirably is in its death throes, so I bit the bullet and bought a new PC yesterday. It's one of those reconditioned business jobs so isn't set up for gaming, but is presumably about a thousand times more powerful than the PC it is replacing. So my question is, what games should I be getting? The last PC game I paid money for was Civilization 3 and since then I've only played on Xbox if that helps.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

biggytitbo

Can you get Samantha Fox's Strip Poker for the PC?

Twed

hedgehog90

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 24, 2019, 04:20:55 PM
My old workhorse Sony all-in-one PC that I bought in 2006 and has served me admirably is in its death throes, so I bit the bullet and bought a new PC yesterday. It's one of those reconditioned business jobs so isn't set up for gaming, but is presumably about a thousand times more powerful than the PC it is replacing. So my question is, what games should I be getting? The last PC game I paid money for was Civilization 3 and since then I've only played on Xbox if that helps.

Do you know the specs of the new PC? ie, processor & graphics card model, RAM, etc.

ToneLa

Quote from: hedgehog90 on February 24, 2019, 06:21:57 PM
Do you know the specs of the new PC? ie, processor & graphics card model, RAM, etc.

I already asked watercooling y/n

But yeah the rest wouldn't hurt.

I mean. Without that. fucking Rocket League

hedgehog90

Rocket League's doesn't always run smooth for me and my rig's alright.
The OP might just have single core processor, onboard graphics and 1GB of RAM for all we know.
I don't want to get his/her hopes up, so for now I'll just say Solitaire.

ToneLa

fuck it then Quake

Can't go wrong with Quake. Knife-fight me

beanheadmcginty

Refurb HP Elite 8200 Tower i7-2600 [few marks on casing]
(Windows: W7 Pro, Hard Drive: 240GB SSD, RAM: 8GB, Warranty: 1 Year, Refurb TFT: 1x 22" TFT, WiFi: Mini WiFi Dongle)

Dongle. That's a humorous word isn't it?

beanheadmcginty

Further info: I hate FPS because I'm shit at them (apart from Redneck Rampage). My favourite games of all time are UFO: Enemy Unknown, Syndicate and The Chaos Engine.

Thursday

Quote from: ToneLa on February 24, 2019, 06:29:54 PM
I already asked watercooling y/n

But yeah the rest wouldn't hurt.

I mean. Without that. fucking Rocket League

You aren't supposed to get water on electronic equipment silly!

hedgehog90

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 24, 2019, 07:35:54 PM
Refurb HP Elite 8200 Tower i7-2600 [few marks on casing]
(Windows: W7 Pro, Hard Drive: 240GB SSD, RAM: 8GB, Warranty: 1 Year, Refurb TFT: 1x 22" TFT, WiFi: Mini WiFi Dongle)

Dongle. That's a humorous word isn't it?

Specs are good, but a quick search suggests it's probably only got a piddly Intel integrated graphics chip, so you might want to invest in an additional graphics card if you want to play modern games on it.

beanheadmcginty

How much will that set me back? Sub hundred quid is doable. What should I get?

biggytitbo

You might just be able to play Jet Set fucking Willy on it.

beanheadmcginty

Surprised at that recommendation considering Jet Set Willy is clearly a signed up member of The Elite. Or is his name ironic?

hedgehog90

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 24, 2019, 08:03:35 PM
How much will that set me back? Sub hundred quid is doable. What should I get?

I'd wait until you've got the PC so you can see the onboard graphics performance for yourself.

Finding the right graphics card for a price range requires a bit of time and research though.
If you want to compare performance/price this is a good place to start:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

Before buying anything you need to make sure it's compatible with your motherboard & power supply.
You'll probably want an older generation Nvidia card at around £80 new/refurbished.

St_Eddie

Kryton

Just get Mount and blade Warband. It's a blend of strategy, decisions and action. Fairly low spec too. It'll keep you engaged if you like X com light strategy but it's real time. The battles are pretty cool even now.

Rev+

The specs suggest that the onboard graphics business will be fine unless you want to run a game that came out yesterday at max settings.  Integrated chips have improved a lot in recent years, so test it out before you drop any more money on a card.

You'll definitely want XCOM, as it's a 'reimagining' of UFO, and is nails.   

Sebastian Cobb

Josef K

Binding of Isaac
It runs on most machines and is the most bang for buck I've ever got out of a game (paid £1, played for 78 hours and counting)

hedgehog90

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 25, 2019, 01:55:05 AM
if the graphics aren't great you can rent a gpu on aws for pennies an hour these days.

https://blog.parsecgaming.com/cloud-gaming-with-amazon-aws-g3-instance-dc9576718f86

I've never heard of 'cloud gaming' before.
What's the latency like?
Surely can't be very good for games that require quick response times.