Author Topic: Clunkers from the Alan Partridge Canon  (Read 6249 times)

Re: Clunkers from the Alan Partridge Canon
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2019, 01:49:54 AM »
The DVD menu alone makes IAP S2 worthwhile.

That's amazing!

With me, Caaaaarl Hooper

« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2019, 11:56:36 PM »
IAP2 is badly structured in lots of ways. Not least the fact that in Never Say Alan Again, his new slightly gay friendship with the blond manc builder is heavily featured. But in the very next episode Alan has to be introduced to the same character again - not even knowing his name. I don't think it's being played for laughs either and nobody mentions it on the DVD commentary - possibly because the commentary line-up changes in between the two episodes so it maybe didn't even register. If you watch the episodes in order though it seems glaring. That whole series often feels like fan-fiction rather than actual Partridge.

« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »
Alan in a fat suit (i.e. in I'm Alan Partridge S2 "flashbacks")
I never like fat suit humour and there was a bit of a spate of it around 2002.
a) he doesn't look funny in it and
b) he doesn't look anything like anything like anyone who has ever really existed. Fat or otherwise

St_Eddie

« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
Alan in a fat suit (i.e. in I'm Alan Partridge S2 "flashbacks")
I never like fat suit humour and there was a bit of a spate of it around 2002.
a) he doesn't look funny in it and
b) he doesn't look anything like anything like anyone who has ever really existed. Fat or otherwise

It always irks me that the audience's reaction to the reveal of fat Alan is delayed, presumably due to a VT related issue on the date of the studio recording.

H-O-W-L

• CHRIST! CAT BRUSH!
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2019, 02:12:23 PM »
I also feel Fat Suit Alan makes light of what was legitimately a really low and dark point for the character in a grisly, arsey kind of way. Alan might be a twat but he's not a monster, and him suffering a mundane kind of misery like that (letting himself go, losing his marbles a bit) is really not something I laugh at.

« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
I'd never really thought about fat Alan before but yes, it is cartoonish and OTT and mean isn't it. All the breakdown and driving in barefeet and Toblerones would have worked fine without it.

H-O-W-L

• CHRIST! CAT BRUSH!
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
Even when I first watched IAP when I was much younger (and even too young to get a lot of the jokes) I felt like Fat Alan was heartlessly cruel to the character.

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2019, 04:56:55 PM »
It's worth it for Coogan's fat Alan voice.

Twed

• Take a Key for Coming in!
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »
Even when I first watched IAP when I was much younger (and even too young to get a lot of the jokes) I felt like Fat Alan was heartlessly cruel to the character.
This post is heartlessly cruel to old people.

Cuellar

• Push off my wire
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2019, 05:21:25 PM »
In I Partridge he talks about the full English breakfasts and hot coffee sloshing around in the stomachs of himself and the Irish TV execs but in IAP he quite clearly orders '4 teas please' from the robot blond bastard from the future.

Fucking disaster.