Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:45:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clunkers from the Alan Partridge Canon

Started by Twed, February 24, 2019, 09:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermitical

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on May 07, 2019, 02:57:49 PM
Yeah TTWAP was absolute dog shit. Prob the only thing of his that was objectively poor

Stop getting Partridge wrong!

PeasOnSticks

MMM and I, Partridge are brilliant - perhaps peak Partridge. A slight downward slide begins with Nomad and continues into the very uneven TTWAP. Here's hoping for an upswing with the next series.

Menu

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on May 08, 2019, 12:19:27 AM
MMM and I, Partridge are brilliant - perhaps peak Partridge. A slight downward slide begins with Nomad and continues into the very uneven TTWAP. Here's hoping for an upswing with the next series.

This accurately represents my views.

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on May 07, 2019, 02:57:49 PM
Yeah TTWAP was absolute dog shit. Prob the only thing of his that was objectively poor, even the film was.. not brilliant but watchable and had some funny stuff in it. I haven't given up on the possibility of him coming back again with something good given how excellent the books and MMM were.

Strongly agree.

At this point I 'd rather see Partridge retire and Saxondale make a comeback. Completely Partridge'd out.

Shaky

Who are all these new people with their wrong opinions?

Mr. Etiquette

I like how now that the dust has settled, most of us are in agreement that This Time was largely very weak, mis-judged, broad clunky bollocks.

Arguably the weakest Partridge to date - though Alpha Paps comes close.
Shocking ball drop from the Gibbons, though I think the prime time BBC1 time slot has much to do with it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mr. Etiquette on May 08, 2019, 03:00:05 PM
I like how now that the dust has settled, most of us are in agreement that This Time was largely very weak, mis-judged, broad clunky bollocks.

No we aren't. The response to TTWAP on this forum was largely positive.

Norton Canes

You are bang wrong

St_Eddie

Quote from: Fried Egg Sandwich on May 08, 2019, 10:54:00 AM
At this point I 'd rather see Partridge retire and Saxondale make a comeback. Completely Partridge'd out.

I do think that after the upcoming historical documentary And Did Those Feet, it might be a good idea for the Gibbons brothers and Coogan to take an extended break from the character.  I don't think that it's feasible to maintain a high standard when your pumping out the sheer amount of material for the character that they have been.

Either way, I'd love a new series of Saxondale.  He's easily my favourite Coogan character.  Two series and a live show appearance is simply not enough, especially when there's such a wealth of Partridge material.

I don't know about that.  It wasn't peak Partridge but I still enjoyed it.  As I say though, I think that a break from the character could only be a good thing at this point, for the writers to spend some time to build up some fresh inspiration and ideas for the character.  At the rate they're going, they risk becoming burnt out.

Armin Meiwes

I do think, in all fairness, this particular format just did not work for Partridge as a character rather than necessarily the writers running out of ideas. Maybe if they had only shown on camera stuff or something it wouldn't have been so clunky, I don't know, it just didn't ring true to the character at all the way it was performed. Sort of staggered that anyone gen liked it tbh.

QDRPHNC

Nah, This Time is better than Alpha Papa by a margin.

As for the next thing, And Did Those Feet... no pun intended, it seems like they're going over the same ground again and again. Wasn't Nomad Alan's sort-of walking tour? Didn't they already have a history section in This Time? Wasn't Scissored Isle something very similar?

How about Alan Does America? Or how about a documentary where we follow Alan attempting to get the pilot of Swallow made? Or Alan decides to belatedly get on the Serial bandwagon and writes / produces / narrates a docudrama about some incredibly minor thing, with lots of drone shots of Norwich city centre and recreations filmed by Peartree? Or just anything else really.

This is a weird comparison, but it's starting to feel a bit like Star Wars - a huge world out there to mine for ideas, but seemingly a reticence on the part of the creators to stray too far from the formula and the familiar.

Twed

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 08, 2019, 03:30:26 PM
How about Alan Does America?
This is entry #1 on the list of things people were petrified the movie would be.

Edmonds

Horse shit. I know this sounds wanky, but I feel This Time refined Coogan's fan base for Partridge, getting rid of the chaff who think 'Jurassic Park' and 'Back of the Net' are peak Alan. They were waiting for the next DAN!! whilst TTWAP sailed over them.

Armin Meiwes

Haha personally I prefer the more subtle Alan myself for eg MMM, think TTWAP was a bit broad for my taste but each to their own tbf there's no right or wrong here!

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Twed on May 08, 2019, 03:52:30 PM
This is entry #1 on the list of things people were petrified the movie would be.

Not "Alan goes to America" but "Alan Does America" in the way Stephen Fry did. Not the most original idea, but certainly more fertile ground than another tour of England.

Quote from: Edmonds on May 08, 2019, 03:53:32 PM
Horse shit. I know this sounds wanky, but I feel This Time refined Coogan's fan base for Partridge, getting rid of the chaff who think 'Jurassic Park' and 'Back of the Net' are peak Alan. They were waiting for the next DAN!! whilst TTWAP sailed over them.

Nah. This Time was more Dan than MMM.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on May 08, 2019, 03:52:30 PM

I think that were the concept handled with care, then it could be a brilliant fish-out-of-water take on the character.  The fear with the movie was that it would be 'Alan in America' due to pandering to a wider audience, whilst simultaneously being dumbed down and broad (which ironically, is pretty much what Alpha Papa ended up being regardless).  The concept needn't be that.  It could be Alan's disdain for, mixed with aspirations to be accepted by, our American cousins.  There's a lot of potential comedy gold to be mined there, I reckon.

Twed

I agree that it could be done well. It's not really what I'm grasping for with Alan personally.

I'd love something waaay out there. Alan Gets Cancer (But Is OK In The End)

Twed

The scene with Lynne being given power of attorney for Alan would be a corker.

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2019, 03:14:24 PM
No we aren't. The response to TTWAP on this forum was largely positive.
But incorrect.

petril

think a future Alan vehicle should go back to the KMKY roots and do a telly format that's about seven years out of date.

that and a mini metro etc

Or the between sessions blether in a fictional niche sport. roots again, but you have to do the actual fictional sport sincerely

kalowski

Quote from: petrilTanaka on May 08, 2019, 09:33:46 PM
think a future Alan vehicle should go back to the KMKY roots and do a telly format that's about seven years out of date.

that and a mini metro etc

Or the between sessions blether in a fictional niche sport. roots again, but you have to do the actual fictional sport sincerely
Boo hoo. A future Partridge should aim to be funny without gurning.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

St_Eddie

PeasOnSticks

More Saxondale would be nice. As for Alan - I'd be happy to see him out of professional mode. Forget the radio/TV shows for a bit and just have some slice-of-life Alan - the more mundane, the better. An IAP re-boot, or something.

Twed

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on May 09, 2019, 06:50:53 PM
More Saxondale would be nice. As for Alan - I'd be happy to see him out of professional mode. Forget the radio/TV shows for a bit and just have some slice-of-life Alan - the more mundane, the better. An IAP re-boot, or something.
I think that touches on what makes MMM far better than This Time, for me. Sure, he's at work, but it focuses a lot on Alan's personal time. Live broadcast Alan is consistently my least favourite.

They should do something with him being stalked on an ongoing basis by that nutter who had his picture all over his house.