Author Topic: Clunkers from the Alan Partridge Canon  (Read 9603 times)

Re: Clunkers from the Alan Partridge Canon
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »
I think that touches on what makes MMM far better than This Time, for me. Sure, he's at work, but it focuses a lot on Alan's personal time. Live broadcast Alan is consistently my least favourite.

Agreed. MMM is much more intimate all-round, and the off-air moments are a big part of its charm. The Pear Tree documentaries also give much more of a sense of the character than TTWAP ever could, since we know they're effectively vanity projects that he's in charge of, and he's all over the script and editing.  Welcome to the Places of My Life, in particular, is a favourite of mine. Great to see Alan at the swimming pool or chatting with Atif at News & Magazines.

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2019, 07:13:14 PM »
Yep. Even though it's all essentially supposed to be a production, the documentary-style specials make it just seem like time spent with Alan. The Day Today, KMKYWAP and This Time are mostly Alan being 'on' the entire time and it's not as good (for me).

hermitical

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2019, 07:24:14 PM »
Count me as pro-TTWAP, and even though some see it as broad I think it is crammed with wonderful tiny moments.

I'd take MMM and TTWAP over KMKY any day of the week, KMKY feels so clunky and lacking in subtlety. Great at the time, some wonderful bits and historic in the world of AP but nowhere near my top go-to AP programmes.

Though TT may be Alan being 'on' he shifts between modes, and quickly, which adds to the enjoyment for me.

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »
Though TT may be Alan being 'on' he shifts between modes, and quickly, which adds to the enjoyment for me.
Yeah, it's still good mainly because of that. It's just not the right balance for me.