Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,405
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 876
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Charlie Higson article in this week's TLS

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, February 24, 2019, 09:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Reviewing several books about comedy, including Jem Roberts's new one about Fry & Laurie. Contains some terrific observations and memories, and clear respect for F & L.

If you can't get a  copy (the next one comes out on Thursday), message me and I'll send out copies of the article. Plus all the ones about World War 1 and medieval torture.

marquis_de_sad

They also interview him and discuss the piece on the TLS podcast. It's good.

magval

Thanks!

Can I have a copy of this then? Would very much like to read it.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Cheers. I assumed it was paywalled, like most TLS stuff that anyone might want to read.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Charlie HigsonSo where are the great double acts of today? With the demise of traditional light entertainment and the ubiquity of the solo stand-up comic, they are thin on the ground. There is one pair, though, who in many ways fill the shoes of Eric and Ernie: the cuddly, interchangeable, Geordie TV presenters Ant and Dec. Many people will undoubtedly disagree, but they are a big part of our Saturday night schedules, they are extremely popular, warm, funny and inclusive, they aim to appeal to all generations, and, crucially, we can't imagine them apart. Most of what they do is, admittedly, disposable, but if they could only find their Eddie Braben they might create something of lasting worth.

I basically agree with this. In terms of influence, you could also add Horne and Cordon. Not because they were good or even enduringly naff, but because they were so unutterably shit that they served as a warning from history.

shiftwork2

Can't find a more appropriate place to put this but Jem Roberts (former poster of this parish) is on Cerys's 6 Music show right now, new book out.