Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Folding Smartphones. Mate.

Started by touchingcloth, February 25, 2019, 01:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47348787

No reason for this thread other than as an excuse for the title. As you were.

hedgehog90

These new foldable phones are going to be so easy to break.
If you put one in front of a child they will instinctively try to karate chop it in half.
That must be part of the thinking behind them, more breakages = more sales.
Otherwise, quite a cool innovation, significant in the history of smartphone design and not a fad.
In 5 years we're probably all gonna have one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I thought of this idea years ago. If only I weren't so lazy and thick, I'd be minted right now.

Replies From View

Imagine being able to fold anything, never mind a smartphone.  The whole concept is mind blowing.

The best thing about this is trying to imagine the ugly, inconvenient cases that will be need to be invented for them.

ToneLa

Pfft. I can fold the smartphone I have right now, providing I have no need to use it ever again

Two thousand squids is surely satirical pricing. For that kind of money, it should make me invisible

What fucking next? Physical versions of what I read on the Kindle, yet foldable?

magval

What is point folding smartphone what is point?

It turns into a tablet computer. It seems like an obvious step, with phones getting ever larger.

thraxx

Can they add unfolding legs to it, so I can use it as an occasional table?

purlieu

Quote from: ToneLa on February 25, 2019, 12:38:44 PM
Two thousand squids is surely satirical pricing. For that kind of money, it should make me invisible
CD players cost that when they were first invented. Give it a few years and they'll be the usual ridiculous smart phone price.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: purlieu on February 25, 2019, 01:42:34 PM
CD players cost that when they were first invented. Give it a few years and they'll be the usual ridiculous smart phone price.

CRT tellies are a quid now

And old fridges

QDRPHNC

You can't fold a smartphone in half more than seven times. Doesn't matter how big it is.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 25, 2019, 01:51:01 PM

And old fridges

You have to pay to get rid of them. (or just leave them in your street)

touchingcloth

We're not too many years away from the oblivion of smartphones - as anyone who ever watched How2 knows, you can only fold a smartphone a maximum of 9 times.

purlieu

Bloody hell, it's going up quite fast. Can I throw in an 'eleven times' if bets are still open?

touchingcloth

It was always 7 in playground lore, but I've seen figures as high as 9, so fill your boots.

Replies From View

How many fictional folds of a smartphone would be needed to reach the moon?

Mister Six

Did anyone but any of those curved tellies when they were being pushed?

Same thing, innit? Desperate attempt to gee-up a stumbling market with a gimmick that will only appeal to people with more money than sense (so expect China's elite to get big into them).

Maybe I'm biased, since it was my idea in the first place, but I don't understand the scornful response this seems to have garnered. I'm certainly not going to stump up two grand for one, but the concept is sound.

Take two portable computing devices into the shower? Not me.

Zetetic

Quote from: Mister Six on March 01, 2019, 08:13:06 PM
Did anyone but any of those curved tellies when they were being pushed?
Curved monitors seem to have remained sufficiently popular.

(I'd consider one, but I don't yet have more money than sense alas.)

Replies From View

Honestly guys this isn't even that good.  I have been able to fold other stuff for literally years.  Things like paper, cardboard, even thin sheets of plastic.  If you want something like that folded with my bare hands I promise I will do my best for a substantial fee.

Z

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 25, 2019, 01:51:01 PM
High quality CRTs are beginning to go a good bit up in price, I think. Pretty understandable market for them among retro gaming purists.

Captain Z

Quote from: Zetetic on March 01, 2019, 08:34:36 PM
Curved monitors seem to have remained sufficiently popular.

Do they? I didn't even know they existed and have certainly never seen one.

QDRPHNC

The form factor of modern phones has only shown incremental improvement since the original iPhone. Foldable phones - something that compresses a phone and a tablet into the same device - were inevitable. I'm really interested in seeing where this will be three or four generations from now. As with any major leap with technology, we're going to get a lot of also-ran shit along the way.

Yeah. Until we get magic floating hologram displays, or the Google Glass idea is somehow revived in a non-wanky way, this seems like the most significant advance for phones/tablets that we're likely to see for a while.

Z

Hololens 2 is looking pretty impressive too atm, potential replacement for monitors to work from in a generation or 2.

Looking at the Samsung and Huawei models atm, it feels like Samsung will probably have the more reliable machine but Huawei are closer to having the form down. The screen being on the outside (to save the need for a second) seems somewhat inevitable

Twed

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on February 25, 2019, 12:10:29 PM
Imagine being able to fold anything, never mind a smartphone.  The whole concept is mind blowing.

The best thing about this is trying to imagine the ugly, inconvenient cases that will be need to be invented for them.

How about a folding kindle with layers, so you can flip through these layers whilst reading?

Quote from: Z on March 03, 2019, 06:30:04 PM
Hololens 2 is looking pretty impressive too atm, potential replacement for monitors to work from in a generation or 2.
A brief image search reveals that it comprehensively fails the non-wanky looking test.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 03, 2019, 06:36:56 PM
How about a folding kindle with layers, so you can flip through these layers whilst reading?

They could have one kindle for each book to minimise the frustrating menu screen nonsense.

ToneLa

Quote from: Replies From View on March 03, 2019, 07:30:29 PM
They could have one kindle for each book to minimise the frustrating menu screen nonsense.

I'd also like to not have to charge it. Surely these individual Kindle books could be converted to some sort of non-electronic format? There must be something non-electric out there that can display these Kindle words! Something roughly Kindle-sized in a progressive arrangement, I don't mind if it's a little bit thicker as long as it's roughly the same weight