Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oscars 2019

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 25, 2019, 09:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Well I was wrong about Olivia Colman not winning Best Actress, which has made my day and quite possibly my week too. I burst out laughing when I saw that Green Book had won though, and it seems like the entire internet is mocking it's win right now as well.

Here's the full list on the BBC if anyone's not seen it yet: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46917940

Cuellar

Was Green Book just not very good? What's the goss here?

mothman

I think it's just seen as yet another movie offering a trite Hollywood view of racial affairs from a wholly white viewpoint.

Puce Moment

I thought the ceremony was perfectly fine without a host - in fact, I think I preferred it although it made the evening a great deal more sober.

I was delighted to see that the Swedish/Danish film Border got a nomination for Best make-up and hairstyling!

I have to say that I feel more distant from this due to not really seeing many of the films up for awards, or being quite let down by the ones I have seen (Roma, BlacKkKlansman). I haven't seen
Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, A Star Is Born or Vice. I'm not even sure why I watch it other than I am also watching the On Cinema Oscar Special at the same time!

buzby

Quote from: mothman on February 25, 2019, 10:12:42 AM
I think it's just seen as yet another movie offering a trite Hollywood view of racial affairs from a wholly white viewpoint.
And the family of one of the protagonists basically calling it a pack of lies.

Cuellar

Ha! Right. Not a great look.

Noodle Lizard

Typically boring shitshow.  I felt like an alien cringing myself inside out at that Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper performance surrounded by people going on about how breathtaking it was.  More dull regurgitating of trite Hollywood political platitudes.  The lack of host barely made a difference.  Dick Miller and Brody Stevens cruelly snubbed from the In Memoriam (he was in Hangover 1, Hangover 2, Due Date, cut out of Funny People).  More awkward than usual, some bizarre acceptance speeches, weird audience reaction shots.  I liked Olivia Coleman, she came off very well and (unintentionally) showed up many of the other speakers for how bland and pleased with themselves they are.

Green Book won, proving that you can whip your dick out in front of Cameron Diaz and say the n-word publicly and still win.  It doesn't matter anymore.  None of it really matters.

7/10

greenman

Not seen it but I'v heard negative talk about Green Books view of Don Shirley's character having refined taste and being pretty clumsy about his homosexuality and that generally its a pretty dull "white guy learns something from a minority" style film.

Butchers Blind

Good for Coleman. As for Green Book winning, I think this is a case of Roma and The Favourite splitting the vote and the winner coming through.  Spike Lee's answer to the film getting the Oscar sums it up.

Head Gardener

the best film then Greenest Book
it was nice to see all the main winners either black or playing gay characters

Puce Moment

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 25, 2019, 11:06:17 AMGood for Coleman. As for Green Book winning, I think this is a case of Roma and The Favourite splitting the vote and the winner coming through.  Spike Lee's answer to the film getting the Oscar sums it up.

If one gave a shit about this sort of thing they would adopt a Eurovision Song Contest points system to stop this happening. I suspect that many of the very worst Oscar decisions were due to split votes which tends to award mediocrity.

Funcrusher

Glad to see Roma get Best Director, Best Foreign Language Film and Best Cinematography. The Oscars are just meaningless fluff anyway. Hope lots of woke types are getting their knickers in a twist about Green Book winning - I almost tip my hat to the Academy for giving them the finger and choosing their usual cosy Oscarbait rubbish.

EOLAN

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 25, 2019, 11:47:58 AM
If one gave a shit about this sort of thing they would adopt a Eurovision Song Contest points system to stop this happening. I suspect that many of the very worst Oscar decisions were due to split votes which tends to award mediocrity.

But don't they have a transferable vote system. So if say (imagine me as Nick Clegg now) the The Favorite has 80 votes, Roma has 90 and Green Book has 100; then the Favorite would be eliminated and it's 80 votes would be split depending on the next preference on each ballot.

Anyway; listening to some podcast reaction and think I am getting more in the camp that these people can't understand that old people viewpoints can still be legitimate. Agree with Funcrusher's reaction to how seriously the Woke community take the Oscars.

greenman

I think its pretty clear the Oscars have taken on a more strongly political edge post Trump but I think you see that its the kind of safe Oscar bait politics, the award equivalent of some safe corporate democrat candidate.

Schnapple

Green Book is lame as fuck, and its well-meaning but clunky approach to race seems dated compared to even some of its competitors this very year, but yeah, some of the reaction today would have you believe that the Academy had resurrected and awarded D.W. Griffith. Rest of the winners are fine, and nicely diverse. Meh, who cares.

Bennett Brauer

Nothing for Bad Ben 5?

phantom_power

Quote from: Schnapple on February 25, 2019, 12:31:13 PM
Green Book is lame as fuck, and its well-meaning but clunky approach to race seems dated compared to even some of its competitors this very year, but yeah, some of the reaction today would have you believe that the Academy had resurrected and awarded D.W. Griffith. Rest of the winners are fine, and nicely diverse. Meh, who cares.

It is the perfect storm of Driving Miss Daisy-esque race sensitivity, #cancelled director and Islamophobic writer of source material. Woke Twitter catnip

phantom_power

Quote from: Funcrusher on February 25, 2019, 12:00:43 PM
I almost tip my hat to the Academy for giving them the finger and choosing their usual cosy Oscarbait rubbish.

I think it is being over-generous to think they are even away of something to give the finger to

Keebleman

Quote from: phantom_power on February 25, 2019, 01:26:24 PM
It is the perfect storm of Driving Miss Daisy-esque race sensitivity, #cancelled director and Islamophobic writer of source material. Woke Twitter catnip

Yeah, in a way the blandest choice was also the bravest.  Wish Roma had won though: it would have stolen the Unlikeliest Best Picture Winner Ever title from The Artist.

Funcrusher

Quote from: phantom_power on February 25, 2019, 01:27:01 PM
I think it is being over-generous to think they are even away of something to give the finger to

I would imagine they're well ware of #oscarssowhite etc. They may even feel that voting for Green Book and Roma is in line with that, along with the lower tier awards to BlacKkKlansman and Black Panther.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: mothman on February 25, 2019, 10:12:42 AM

Spike Lee somehow managed to do that with BlacKKKlansman as well. No wonder he was so upset about Green Book winning, beaten at his own game.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 25, 2019, 11:06:17 AM
Good for Coleman. As for Green Book winning, I think this is a case of Roma and The Favourite splitting the vote and the winner coming through.  Spike Lee's answer to the film getting the Oscar sums it up.

Less Green Book, More Green Wing, then.

phantom_power

Quote from: Funcrusher on February 25, 2019, 01:33:47 PM
I would imagine they're well ware of #oscarssowhite etc. They may even feel that voting for Green Book and Roma is in line with that, along with the lower tier awards to BlacKkKlansman and Black Panther.

I wouldn't be so sure. The average age of the Academy is somewhere in the 60s so a lot of them are probably not regulars on social media

Yeah I doubt that they're doing anything to spite recesses of social media that only extremely brain poisoned morons could possibly give a shit about, the academy are obviously just doing their usual thing of awarding liberal bubble oscarbait. Chalk it up as a win only if your politics have become defined by a pathological need to score petty victories against the amorphous 'woke brigade' (to the point where its even infecting your perspective on the arts), although I couldn't imagine giving a shit about any of this either way

I'd have liked it if Bohemian Rhapsody won, and then more people might be inclined to write off the oscars for good

Funcrusher

Quote from: phantom_power on February 25, 2019, 02:28:00 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. The average age of the Academy is somewhere in the 60s so a lot of them are probably not regulars on social media

It was only two years ago that Moonlight won over La La Land.

phantom_power

Quote from: Funcrusher on February 25, 2019, 03:33:14 PM

They might have just preferred that film. Not everything is driven by Twitternomics

Funcrusher

Quote from: phantom_power on February 25, 2019, 03:59:13 PM
They might have just preferred that film. Not everything is driven by Twitternomics

The level of scrutiny of the Academy over lack of diversity is massive. I never look at Twitter and am aware of this - it's all over mainstream media sources as well. The nominations and winners in recent years clearly reflect this.

Cuellar

Yes but Moonlight is objectively better than La La Land.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Cuellar on February 25, 2019, 04:19:59 PM
Yes but Moonlight is objectively better than La La Land.

I think Moonlight is a bit overrated and underlyingly not that far from standard Oscar fodder, but it it is a better film than La La land which is very ho hum at best (I think First Man is actually a fairly impressive film). That said La la Land as a throwback to classic Hollywood musicals and much praised on release would have been a shoo in for best picture in earlier years as exactly the kind of film Academy members would love (see also The Artist) but the #oscarssowhite thing was very strong at the time.

rjd2

And heck last year the incredibly bland Shape Of Water won which was oscar bait personified. Shannon's character may as well have called his character Mike Pence.

If Roma had won, the backlash would have focused on lack of female directors nominated.

Without sounding all Ben Shapiro, not sure the Oscars can ever be woke enough for twitter.