Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Hollis

Started by SpiderChrist, February 25, 2019, 07:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Rumour is that he has died.

sevendaughters

One of the absolute best. A perfect career trajectory. Gonna go home and play Laughing Stock as loud as I can get away with.

iamcoop

Can't fucking believe this. Absolutely stunned.

purlieu

Just read about this. Only 64. One of the most wonderfully, beautifully creative people in music. Five incredible albums (and a solid enough debut) between Talk Talk and his solo record. What a tragedy. RIP.

SpiderChrist

19 Minutes of Mark Hollis talking about Laughing Stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARC2TU7VjI

Brundle-Fly

Terrible news. A true one-off.

SpiderChrist

I can't bring myself to listen to the music. Fuck. This one hurts.

Enzo

Stunned.

Always hoped he would come back once more on his own terms. What a career he had though. Absolutely fearless in his art and had the talent in spades to pull it off.

Not hyperbole to say that Laughing Stock saved my life in the depths of anxiety and depression.

After the Flood on repeat for me.

purlieu

When I got into Talk Talk, an absolute bonus for me was reading and watching mid-'80s interviews with Mark Hollis, who, surprisingly, turned out to be an absolutely hilarious cockney geezer, not even slightly the guy he comes across on records.

I love the way he absolutely stuck to his guns, saying he'd pretty much achieved what he wanted to with recorded music and making no plans to release another album. And then never did. Much as I'd love to hear anything he'd done in the years since, I really hope nothing gets released now. He was too particular about his craft to consider listening to anything he hadn't approved.

Enzo

as official source as I can find at the moment.

Funcrusher

Mark Hollis retiring 20 years ago is one for the Things That Make You feel Old thread.

greenman

Quote from: purlieu on February 25, 2019, 07:39:56 PM
When I got into Talk Talk, an absolute bonus for me was reading and watching mid-'80s interviews with Mark Hollis, who, surprisingly, turned out to be an absolutely hilarious cockney geezer, not even slightly the guy he comes across on records.

In the band publicity shots he always looked like the drummer to me, I remember the music press weren't kind about interviews like the above but I don't think there's any pretension just someone who took music very seriously over any kind of persona.

Epic Bisto

Fucking gutted to hear this news.  Tearing up here. He always seemed like one of the good guys - after reading all about the Talk Talk recording sessions in Phill Brown's book, while those sessions caused mental breakdowns, illness, marriage problems and fits of apoplexy in the hearts of many an A&R man, Hollis always seemed to be calm and level-headed in the never-ending sea of madness. And he was responsible for some of the most beautiful music ever committed to tape.

RIP.

Neville Chamberlain

danielreal2k

Fuck fuck fuck.    This is my Bowie :(

wosl

A hard one to take, as hard as Danny Kirwan's, last year, but he does't half leave us with some tremendous music to help get us through, and to remember him by. 

Mantle Retractor

I'm another one who could say without any exaggeration that both Spirit of Eden and then Laughing Stock first saved and then enriched my life.

purlieu

Quote from: greenman on February 25, 2019, 07:54:40 PM
In the band publicity shots he always looked like the drummer to me, I remember the music press weren't kind about interviews like the above but I don't think there's any pretension just someone who took music very seriously over any kind of persona.
Oh, no pretension at all - just, musically, he's always very serious; somewhat spiritual on those last two albums. None of the obviously very lively, funny guy you see being interviewed.

DrGreggles

danielreal2k

1988-1991 TalkTalk era seemed to me what Radiohead were trying to achieve.

purlieu

Jonny Greenwood must have listened to 'Desire' hundreds of times when trying to get a guitar sound.

jobotic

You know those threads about bands you never got round to listening to but thought you should? Talk Talk are one of mine and reading the responses here from people whose views I respect I'd better go and have a listen.

RIP

Johnboy

those albums will stand for centuries.  RIP

wosl

Not by Hollis, but put here because I remember him absolutely raving about it once in an interview that appeared in The Wire, I think, at the time of the release of the self-titled album. Gives an indication of where his thinking was at shortly before he effectively walked away:

Morton Feldman - The Viola In My Life II

RIP

danielreal2k

I hope it;s not going to be one of those Prince, George Michael years, where Neil Tennant and Bernard Sumner go next (they are pretty much the same age as Hollis was)

Auntie Beryl

He achieved so much, made such amazing music before he was mid-forties, and then chucked it all in to live miles away from anywhere because he couldn't be arsed with the music industry any more.

Bravo. Fucking bravo.

(Spirit was, from the age of 16, my favourite album, and I imagine it will always be now. RIP, you headstrong git.)

greenman

Quote from: Johnboy on February 25, 2019, 09:07:47 PM

I do think you see already him being proven correct in that interview when he talks about making music timeless, I'd guess that the last two Talk Talk albums and his solo release seem a good candidate for rock(ish) music that will last long after pop culture references have become irrelevant.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Johnboy on February 25, 2019, 09:07:47 PM

Haven't listened to them for a while.
Feel almost guilty doing it now.

Almost...

Shit Good Nose

Only the other day I was listening to a bootleg from the Colour of Spring tour.

About the only thing I'm ashamed of about being a Genesis fan is when Talk Talk were bottled by the audience when they were one of the support acts for Genesis' 1982 reunion show.  Granted there were mitigating circumstances, but even so it wasn't cricket to take it out on Talk Talk.