Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:17:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Warren

Started by sevendaughters, February 25, 2019, 09:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

The new lead-in for TTWAP is a certified classic in the making! What are your favourite #Warrenmoments?

Martin Clunes will star as titular character Warren, who is forced to move from the south up to Preston when his partner Anne's father falls ill.

Do pitches sound better than that??? A comedy heavyweight in an unfamiliar ring? COLOUR ME EXCITED!!!!!!!

Malcy

I enjoyed it. I like Clunes's character and I can see him building to a big meltdown at some point.

ToneLa

Did Warren drop a fart?

imitationleather

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 25, 2019, 09:31:48 PM
The new lead-in for TTWAP is a certified classic in the making! What are your favourite #Warrenmoments?

Martin Clunes will star as titular character Warren, who is forced to move from the south up to Preston when his partner Anne's father falls ill.

Do pitches sound better than that??? A comedy heavyweight in an unfamiliar ring? COLOUR ME EXCITED!!!!!!!

Isn't that the exact same premise as the comedy thing that Clunes was in on ITV? Doc Martin or something?

Malcy

Quote from: imitationleather on February 25, 2019, 10:15:06 PM
Isn't that the exact same premise as the comedy thing that Clunes was in on ITV? Doc Martin or something?

No.

Alberon

Martin Clunes will star as titular character Warren, who is forced to move from the south up to Preston and live in a new high population density underground apartment complex.

UltimoLJ

It didn't make sense. Nobody spoke like real humans, or interacted like real people, but it wasn't a high-concept thing?

Warren was hateful with no real redeeming qualities, not even angry in a 'funny' way, just the occasional appreciation of a well placed swear word, which is about as difficult a comedy device as a whoopee cushion.

I enjoyed his partner with her sister, their mannerisms, but the clairvoyant thing was more comedy written from the perspective of someone doing what comedy looks like rather than actually being funny?

A script where you can circle all the punchlines, objectively a comedy, but literally not funny whatsoever.

jsgibble

Reminds me a little bit of the BBC3 sitcom released yesterday Jerk. A caustic main character who goes round being mean / trying to wind people up, with little to no character development outside the lead. The situations for the most part didn't feel real. Jerk was at least interesting in parts though, which is more than what you can say for Warren.

The bit with the Psychic dragged even more than the rest of it

gilbertharding

What I saw of it reminded me of Ben Elton's The Wright Way. Conceptually there's nothing necessarily wrong with this type of thing: look at One Foot in the Grave.

I'm sure people who like this kind of thing will like it.

gilbertharding

sevendaughters

3.8m viewers compared to Liberal Stevie's 3.3m following on, the only stat that truly matters.

jsgibble

Which is surprising, but I suppose people couldn't have known how dreadful Warren was before watching it

BlodwynPig

Can i just add...Martin Clunes once hung out with Ozric Tentacles and named some of their early tracks

Phil_A

Eurgh. The plinky plonky music they use to transition between scenes drives me mad, has to be one of the most trite conventions of modern comedy. com-ed-dy mu-sic plink-et-y plonk

The thing is, you can have the lead character in a comedy be a total cunt, but the crucial thing is they have to be a funny cunt, like Basil Fawlty for example. Warren is just a cunt, nothing particularly funny about him or the situations he gets into.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Jerk, which begins tonight after Fleabag, has the same insurmountable problem. The protagonist is an arsehole, but not in a funny way.

jsgibble

I thought the same thing, I think Jerk is better, but they both have that same flaw

Small Man Big Horse

I really quite liked Jerk, thought it managed to make the character sympathetic and most of the people he treated poorly deserved it due to the way he treated him.

jobotic

Well I'm glad they've put something shit on in the go-upstairs-and-iron-a-couple-of-shirts-before-Alan-Partridge-starts slot.

I've be wearing a very creased shirt today if it had been decent. Clunesy - you've done it again.

gilbertharding

I was only half watching it this week, but it seemed fractionally better. Although the last scene where his nemesis (the rival driving instructor) was randomly and GRAPHICALLY taken out by a biddy in a speeding car was a bit... wrong... I thought. You know - dark, and needlessly spectacular. Like the opposite of cartoon slapstick. Not comedy.

Sorry if you think that's a spoiler, by the way.

Seagullsim

I find it a difficult watch, purely because Warren has no redeeming features as well. You'd think with his bland wife and horrifically beige step-sons, the writers could eke out a little bit of sympathy, but he just comes across like a cunt.

We're only two episodes in, and he's genuinely tried to ruin the lives of at least three people. Even Victor Meldrew had a nice side.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Are any of the exterior scenes actually flmed in Preston ? A lovely place , is Preston. Robin Day had a hedgehog called Preston.

Wet Blanket

I think it's fallen into the trap of essentially being a broad, daft comedy being played too straight because that's the fashion these days. The same material might have worked in a studio-sets/ canned laughter kind of environment, with someone livelier in the lead, making the bastardry cartoony, rather than depressing. I can imagine Rik Mayall having made something worthwhile of it, although unfortunately I can't think of anyone who's taken on Mayall's mantle. Clunes is miscast in any event.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: imitationleather on February 25, 2019, 10:15:06 PM

No.  Doc Martin is autistic at some level and so has trouble relating with people.  Warren is just a twat.

Utter Shit

I half-watched this while keeping an eye on the football last night - the car hitting the bloke was oddly graphic, wasn't it? I expect that sort of thing to pop up in a lot of comedy these days. but not a show like this which seems to be aimed at an older crowd.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 05, 2019, 05:47:56 PM
I half-watched this while keeping an eye on the football last night - the car hitting the bloke was oddly graphic, wasn't it? I expect that sort of thing to pop up in a lot of comedy these days. but not a show like this which seems to be aimed at an older crowd.

lol this was all I saw before Partro and i laughed out of the complete lack of judiciousness of it all

Phil_A

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 05, 2019, 02:34:28 PM
I was only half watching it this week, but it seemed fractionally better. Although the last scene where his nemesis (the rival driving instructor) was randomly and GRAPHICALLY taken out by a biddy in a speeding car was a bit... wrong... I thought. You know - dark, and needlessly spectacular. Like the opposite of cartoon slapstick. Not comedy.

Sorry if you think that's a spoiler, by the way.

Yeah, it was really odd wasn't it? Incredibly tonally misjudged. If it had been a comically obvious dummy flying out of shot it might've worked, because it wouldn't have looked so...brutal.

timebug

Watched episode one.Failed to be impressed. Reading a good book when episode two started.Watched a bit, read a bit..
watched a bit, read a bit...read a bit...read a bit..oh it's finished? Never mind.

NoOffenceLynn

Yeah, it was pretty horrible and obvious humour that was telegraphed from a mile off. The minute I saw them get a new cat I thought "it will be dead by the end of this episode".
It reminded of an 90s ITV style sitcom with all the interior design looking like it had just come straight out of an Argos catalogue (not being snobby here) but that's what came to mind.

sevendaughters

strength to strength from Warren, soon TTWAP won't be able to follow this

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 05, 2019, 04:51:12 PM
Are any of the exterior scenes actually flmed in Preston ?

Apparently not, there's been a few overhead shots of the odd church and a bridge over the Ribble but everything else was filmed in Cardiff. According to what I read yesterday.

Almost everything else I've read isn't encouraging me to watch it and find out.