Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Warren

Started by sevendaughters, February 25, 2019, 09:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

If I want to be entertained by a miserable, bearded shit with a name beginning with W I'll have this, please:

sevendaughters

gilbertharding

Warren's father-in-law fell out of the caravan and trigger made a face.

Phil_A

I was only half-watching, but it did seem like the crazy teenage house party his sons were having was the most pathetically half-arsed attempt to realise such an event on screen that I can recall. Then again I suspect the budget for this must be microscopic if they couldn't even afford to film a real bonfire.

jsgibble

Quote from: Phil_A on March 26, 2019, 03:50:45 PM
I was only half-watching, but it did seem like the crazy teenage house party his sons were having was the most pathetically half-arsed attempt to realise such an event on screen that I can recall. Then again I suspect the budget for this must be microscopic if they couldn't even afford to film a real bonfire.

The 'party' in general was just really weird. His teenage sons especially are so poorly written, it's like how they write young people in a radio 4 sitcom.

https://twitter.com/msloobylou/status/1110289118502834176

BritishHobo

Something about Warren's life makes me really sad.

Rolf Lundgren

This didn't get much better. Warren's character just doesn't go anywhere, he's pissed off or taking advantage of someone in every interaction. I don't think we've been shown any reason why his girlfriend(?) is with him.

The last episode was particularly frustrating where Warren acts like an arsehole and messes everything up. The holiday camp episode previously at least had a few ideas floating around but this was slow and painful.

It does look bloody cheap to film though which will probably mean it gets a second series where it's another six episodes of Warren getting pissed off in various places.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That was a show written by people who don't understand why we love comedy arseholes such as Hancock, Mainwaring, Fawlty, Blackadder, Meldrew, Partridge and Brent. All of those characters are, to varying degrees, sympathetic. Warren is just a grumpy, boring, unfunny man. If he possessed even a trace of wit or pathos we might invest in his antics, but he's a dreary middle-aged tit who hates everything. Why should we care?

poodlefaker

Quote from: jsgibble on March 26, 2019, 03:54:50 PM
The 'party' in general was just really weird. His teenage sons especially are so poorly written, it's like how they write young people in a radio 4 sitcom.

You've reminded me of perhaps the most excrutiating Radio 4 sitcom I've ever heard. See if you can manage more than a few minutes of this; it truly has to be heard to be believed.  Might be worth its own thread: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002zrd

jobotic

They should have called it Warren Gets Pissed Off in Various Places

Then the continuity announcer could have said "why not stick around to see where Warren will get pissed off this time, while you wait for Alan Partridge?".

jsgibble

Quote from: poodlefaker on April 02, 2019, 09:54:05 AM
You've reminded me of perhaps the most excrutiating Radio 4 sitcom I've ever heard. See if you can manage more than a few minutes of this; it truly has to be heard to be believed.  Might be worth its own thread: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002zrd

Yeah, that's a perfect example. Just dreadful

gilbertharding

Marcus Brigstocke you say? Fucking hell.

Because I'd rather listen to Radio 4 Extra than the Today Programme in the mornings I often hear bits of some of the actual worst radio sitcoms (and sketch shows) ever made. These include: Heated Rollers, Flying the Flag, The Attractive Young Rabbi and Smelling of Roses.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 01, 2019, 11:55:49 PM
That was a show written by people who don't understand why we love comedy arseholes such as Hancock, Mainwaring, Fawlty, Blackadder, Meldrew, Partridge and Brent. All of those characters are, to varying degrees, sympathetic. Warren is just a grumpy, boring, unfunny man. If he possessed even a trace of wit or pathos we might invest in his antics, but he's a dreary middle-aged tit who hates everything. Why should we care?

It's easy to theorise why Warren the show is how it is... there have been plenty of successful shows which have not a single character with any redeeming qualities. On the Buses, In Sickness and in Health, George and Mildred.

Actually, I take your point.

imitationleather

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 02, 2019, 04:33:43 PM
It's easy to theorise why Warren the show is how it is... there have been plenty of successful shows which have not a single character with any redeeming qualities. On the Buses, In Sickness and in Health, George and Mildred.

Actually, I take your point.

In On the Buses I was under the impression that the audience at the time was supposed to think that the characters were top lads and kings of the bantz, and it's only in hindsight that they seem like sociopathic bullies who dedicate their entire life to sexually assaulting women and making the one decent employee in the bus depot's life a misery for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

sevendaughters

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

What a surprise.

Small Man Big Horse

The writer of Warren follows me on Twitter, and amusingly his bio line is "Writer of BBC1s Warren. I tried my best".

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 20, 2019, 09:39:45 PM
The writer of Warren follows me on Twitter, and amusingly his bio line is "Writer of BBC1s Warren. I tried my best".

I'm shocked he's actually quite young. "Warren" felt like the last exhaust in the tank from a battered and bruised hack.