Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:52:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gremlins -The Animated TV Series

Started by St_Eddie, February 26, 2019, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

From the 'Time Bandits TV show for Apple TV' thread...

Quote from: Glebe on February 26, 2019, 04:42:59 PM
Meanwhile:

'Gremlins' Animated Series in the Works at WarnerMedia Streaming Service (EXCLUSIVE).

Hmmm. Doesn't seem like they're putting the kibosh on another movie or anything.

I really don't care for this as a concept because puppets or get the fuck out.

ToneLa

QuoteThe potential series is said to be a period piece that would follow Mr. Wing, the Chinese grandfather played in the films by Keye Luke, as a young man as he goes on adventures with the friendly Mogwai Gizmo.

Shite already.

St_Eddie

Quote from: ToneLa on February 26, 2019, 05:06:14 PM
Shite already.

"What I've always wanted to see in terms of a new Gremlins was the weekly globetrotting adventures of Mr. Wing and his friendly Mogwai, Gizmo" said no-one ever.

Kelvin

Makes sense to take an obviously racist stereotype and build an entire series around him.

Glebe

I wonder will Mr. Wing and Gizmo have heartwarming adventures with an important moral message at the end.

cakeinmilk

It was Billy's dad who called him Gizmo, though? So it'll be the adventures of Mr Wing and the nameless mogwai he keeps shut away in a box.

ToneLa

Quote from: cakeinmilk on February 27, 2019, 02:20:38 PM
It was Billy's dad who called him Gizmo, though? So it'll be the adventures of Mr Wing and the nameless mogwai he keeps shut away in a box.

This disgusting contravention of the established continuity of the Gremlinsverse has even further cemented the fact 'naaah mate'

St_Eddie

Quote from: ToneLa on February 27, 2019, 02:22:21 PM
This disgusting contravention of the established continuity of the Gremlinsverse has even further cemented the fact 'naaah mate'

Nah, it's perfectly plausible that both Mr. Wing and Mr. Peltzer independently named him Gizmo.  It's a common name.  I know several Gizmo's in life, for example.  Even dated a couple.

ToneLa

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 27, 2019, 02:27:08 PM
Nah, it's perfectly plausible that both Mr. Wing and Mr. Peltzer independently named him Gizmo.  It's a common name.  I know several Gizmo's in life, for example.  Even dated a couple.

Oh yeah, suppose looked at that way. I mean, I could say the same thing about the Real Ghostbusters and Slimer! Dodgy exes abound..

What the fuck is it with these old 80s properties? Is it really so difficult to create a new lineage of weird monsters that fuck things up? Or a new lineage of those who bust ghosts?

St_Eddie

Quote from: ToneLa on February 27, 2019, 02:29:07 PM
...Or a new lineage of those who bust ghosts?

All I know is that I welcome women busting ghosts, but I simply cannot believe in no woman busting a nut.

Catalogue Trousers

This really isn't filling me with enthusiasm.

Glebe

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 01, 2020, 01:10:42 AMThis really isn't filling me with enthusiasm.

Nah, yeah, I know. Desperately scrapping the barrel for geek news at the mo.

Glebe

'Gremlins 3': Chris Columbus Offers Update on Sequel, Says Creatures Won't Be CGI.

Quote"I would love to do it. I wrote a script, so there is an existing script. We're working out some rights issues right now, so we're just trying to figure out when the best time to make that film would be. I would still do it the same way – I would do it as tangible puppets, not CGI. Maybe having — you know we had one stop-motion scene in the first Gremlins, but I don't think I'd use much CGI in Gremlins 3."

Not much new there but Gremlins news is thin on the ground!

Glebe

More Gremlins guff:

'Gremlins' Writer Chris Columbus on His Hard R, Darker Original Script.

Quote"I was living in New York at the time with these mice running around the floor, and I was watching old Universal horror films on TBS and my friend said to me, 'You love monster movies so much, why don't you write a monster movie?' I was thinking about these mice running around at night, they would scurry by my finger if my hand was hanging over the bed, it was really creeping me out and that's how I came up with the idea of Gremlins. So I wrote it as a straightforward horror film. Hard R, mom's head comes rolling down the stairs, Billy and Kate go into a McDonald's and none of the food is eaten but all of the people are eaten (laughs). So it was very dark."

"My agent sent it out to about 50 producers, and only by luck – I was gonna do a movie with Paul Newman at one point and he said to me, 'This business is 50% talent and 50% luck.' And the lucky part of Gremlins is Steven Spielberg was leaving his office and he just glanced to his assistant's desk and he saw the title, and he was like 'That's an interesting title' so he picked it up and read it over the weekend. I got a call from him like three days later. So that's how Gremlins happened."

"Steven was very instrumental because I was a young writer and I was like a kid in a candy store getting to work with Steven Spielberg, and he steered me into – he said, 'This needs to reach a wider audience.' He goes, 'What you've done could be great, but it's an R-rated horror film. There's a way that what you've written can reach a much wider audience.' So we worked on several drafts of the script."

I remember reading about how Columbus was inspired by the mice running around his apartment! Apparently the original idea was for Gizmo to turn into Stripe, I think, which I'm glad they didn't go with.

notjosh

There's a quite interesting 3-part podcast with Dante's producing partner Mike Finnell that has some good background to both Gremlins films:
https://takemethroughit.libsyn.com/website/category/Movies

(Start from the bottom. It's actually an aborted series by the guy's nephew, who I guess had planned to interview other people, but obviously didn't have any other relatives who had produced Joe Dante films.)

Bazooka

I don't know what people are on about, they made Gremlin 3 in 1994.

greenman

I'm guessing the animated series it being made trying to cash in on Baby Yoda(who is to be fair close to a Gizmo clone) being popular in the Mandorian.

Glebe

Quote from: Bazooka on February 17, 2021, 08:40:23 AMI don't know what people are on about, they made Gremlin 3 in 1994.

Bobby Ball's only US appearance going by that poster.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Glebe on February 17, 2021, 09:01:10 AM
Bobby Ball's only US appearance going by that poster.

And for some reason he's dressed as Gary Glitter.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on February 17, 2021, 08:49:36 AM
I'm guessing the animated series it being made trying to cash in on Baby Yoda(who is to be fair close to a Gizmo clone) being popular in the Mandorian.

No, not at all.  The Gremlins animated TV series was in development way before The Mandalorian debuted.  Look at my first post within this thread - February 26, 2019.  The Mandalorian premiered six and a half months later on November 12, 2019, which was the first time anyone outside of Disney saw Baby Yoda, much less how popular he would go on to be.

Furthermore, as you allude to; Baby Yoda is a blatant rip-off of Gizmo, so it seems a bit daft to suggest that Gremlins is cashing-in on a character stolen from the series which originated the template.

Thomas

One of the major appeals of Gremlins for me is its physicality. A plague of beautiful, grotesque marionettes bristling with detail, flapping all over the place and blowing up in microwaves, wonderfully lit and framed. The horrible joy of the metamorphosis is its fleshly aspect.

Don't see point in animated Grems. Even less so if it's just Gizmo and the backstory nobody asked for. All we want to know about him is that he emerges from a nice wooden box Deliverood from Chinatown. That's the mystery.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thomas on February 17, 2021, 11:45:38 PM
One of the major appeals of Gremlins for me is its physicality. A plague of beautiful, grotesque marionettes bristling with detail, flapping all over the place and blowing up in microwaves, wonderfully lit and framed. The horrible joy of the metamorphosis is its fleshly aspect.

Don't see point in animated Grems.

Completely agree.  Proper psychical puppet gremlins or get t'fuck.

St_Eddie

HBO have already ordered a second season of the show...

Quote from: Bloody Disgusting
We don't even have a premiere date for the first season and yet we've already learned today that HBO Max has ordered up a second season of "Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai"!

From WB Animation and Amblin TV, the half-hour animated series is set in 1920s Shanghai and tells the story of how 10-year-old Sam Wing met the young Mogwai called Gizmo.

The voice cast for the prequel series includes:

Ming Na-Wen as Fong Wing
    BD Wong as Hon Wing
    James Hong as Grandpa Wing
    Izaac Wang as Sam Wing
    A.J. LoCascio as Gizmo
    Gabrielle Green as Elle
    Matthew Rhys as Riley Greene

"Along with teenage street thief Elle, Sam and Gizmo take a perilous journey through the Chinese countryside, encountering, and sometimes battling, colorful monsters and spirits from Chinese folklore. On their quest to return Gizmo to his family and uncover a legendary treasure, they are pursued by a power-hungry industrialist and his growing army of evil Gremlins."

The series is developed, written and produced by Tze Chun.

samadriel

Tze Chun's not all bad, he's the boss of TKO Comics, who put out some good stuff.