Author Topic: The wonderful noise pop of Pom Poko's debut album  (Read 388 times)

alan nagsworth

• hired goons?
The wonderful noise pop of Pom Poko's debut album
« on: February 26, 2019, 06:14:35 PM »
This Norwegian band who named themselves after one of Studio Ghibli's greatest films released their debut album "Birthday" last week. I discovered it because of a sponsored ad that they put up on Instagram! I was targeted and for once it actually fucking worked. Thanks, Pom Poko!

I'm getting a few different flavours in this album which is equal parts noisy/explosive, and twee/cute. The biggest influence I can hear is Deerhoof at their most bubblegum (no surprise that I like it, then), as well as Palm and Ponytail, and in its cuter moments I'm feeling Charlotte Hatherley and CocoRosie. It's a very good album. They seem to know exactly what they're up to and it's a properly consistent listen.

In addition to this, they're touring the UK this spring and I'm pleased to be copping them for a very tasty £9 at the Lexington. Sounds like the sort of thing which would be loads of fun live on stage. Cool!

Crazy Energy Night

If U Want Me 2 Stay

My Blood

Yaaay new music.

Johnny Yesno

• You've been exploding frogs again
    • Lines Horizontal
Re: The wonderful noise pop of Pom Poko's debut album
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 08:04:46 PM »
They do good food for a reasonable price too! https://pompoko.co.uk/

Johnny Yesno

• You've been exploding frogs again
    • Lines Horizontal
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »
Joking aside, they are actually playing in Brighton. Think I'll pick up a ticket. Ta for the headsup.

I should have a Pompoko / Pom Poko evening really, shouldn't I?

Twed

• Take a Key for Coming in!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:19 PM »
Thank you, I love it.

TwinPeaks

• didn't choose a very distinctive username did i
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:58:52 PM »
God I love that weirdly bleak film. Only have hazy, unsettling memories of it.

The band are really good too! My Work is Full of Art is my favourite so far.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »
Only listened to "Crazy Energy Night" but it is extremely my shit and I must listen to the full album as soon as possible.

Crabwalk

• I behaved like a skinhead.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
This is cracking, thanks Nags. Whenever things threatens to get too sickly sweet...BLAMMO.

alan nagsworth

• hired goons?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 06:30:16 PM »
I love turning people on to new music! It makes me really happy. Have a lovely weekend, y'all.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 01:18:58 AM »
Finally listened to this the other day and I really liked it. I've been meaning to listen to it all the way through again, but every time I re-listen I just get stuck repeating the second track, "My Blood", over and over. That song is infectious and and rambunctious and joyful as all hell. There's a song by Battles, "Sweetie and Shag", that reminds me a lot of this band. That was one of my favorites by them, so I expect to grow to love this album in the same way.