Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:40:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The wonderful noise pop of Pom Poko's debut album

Started by alan nagsworth, February 26, 2019, 06:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

This Norwegian band who named themselves after one of Studio Ghibli's greatest films released their debut album "Birthday" last week. I discovered it because of a sponsored ad that they put up on Instagram! I was targeted and for once it actually fucking worked. Thanks, Pom Poko!

I'm getting a few different flavours in this album which is equal parts noisy/explosive, and twee/cute. The biggest influence I can hear is Deerhoof at their most bubblegum (no surprise that I like it, then), as well as Palm and Ponytail, and in its cuter moments I'm feeling Charlotte Hatherley and CocoRosie. It's a very good album. They seem to know exactly what they're up to and it's a properly consistent listen.

In addition to this, they're touring the UK this spring and I'm pleased to be copping them for a very tasty £9 at the Lexington. Sounds like the sort of thing which would be loads of fun live on stage. Cool!

Crazy Energy Night

If U Want Me 2 Stay

My Blood

Yaaay new music.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Joking aside, they are actually playing in Brighton. Think I'll pick up a ticket. Ta for the headsup.

I should have a Pompoko / Pom Poko evening really, shouldn't I?

Twed

VelourSpirit

God I love that weirdly bleak film. Only have hazy, unsettling memories of it.

The band are really good too! My Work is Full of Art is my favourite so far.

fucking ponderous

Only listened to "Crazy Energy Night" but it is extremely my shit and I must listen to the full album as soon as possible.

Crabwalk

This is cracking, thanks Nags. Whenever things threatens to get too sickly sweet...BLAMMO.

alan nagsworth

I love turning people on to new music! It makes me really happy. Have a lovely weekend, y'all.

fucking ponderous

Finally listened to this the other day and I really liked it. I've been meaning to listen to it all the way through again, but every time I re-listen I just get stuck repeating the second track, "My Blood", over and over. That song is infectious and and rambunctious and joyful as all hell. There's a song by Battles, "Sweetie and Shag", that reminds me a lot of this band. That was one of my favorites by them, so I expect to grow to love this album in the same way.

Crabwalk

I'm still listening to this regularly. The album is quite front-loaded, but what a front. I'm surprised I've not seen anything about them anywhere outside of this thread. It's incredibly infectious. 'Follow the Lights' is my favourite track.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 01, 2019, 10:22:36 PM
I'm still listening to this regularly. The album is quite front-loaded, but what a front. I'm surprised I've not seen anything about them anywhere outside of this thread. It's incredibly infectious. 'Follow the Lights' is my favourite track.

They got some good reviews in NME and The Line of Best Fit, which probably explains why their London show sold out fairly quickly, but I know what you mean. I only discovered them because they paid for a sponsored post on Instagram. I hope they get bigger!

Artie Fufkin

Endicott

Top notch. And playing live on Marc Riley's 6music show tonight. 4 tracks apparently. iplayer/sounds it if you miss it.

alan nagsworth

Seeing them tonight at the Lexington. Drop me a line if any of you are gonna be there!

Crabwalk

Can't be there tonight, but enjoy! I'll try and catch you at Stereolab.

Blinder Data

Their session last night on Marc Riley's show sounded fucking ace. Looked them up and they played in my city on Monday, gah :`(

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 10, 2019, 09:46:17 AM
Can't be there tonight, but enjoy! I'll try and catch you at Stereolab.

It would be lovely to meet you. Hit me up closer to the time, gonna try and catch the support (Vanishing Twin) as well, since they're also very good.

jobotic

alan nagsworth

HELL YEAH FUCKER. On the 12th though, not the 13th (second date came up after the first sold out).

Crabwalk

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 10, 2019, 11:58:36 AM
It would be lovely to meet you. Hit me up closer to the time, gonna try and catch the support (Vanishing Twin) as well, since they're also very good.

Will do.

homesickalien

Saw them in that tiny Castle Hotel in Manchester.   Great fun band, lots of energy

Crabwalk

Quote from: Endicott on April 09, 2019, 07:29:32 PM
Top notch. And playing live on Marc Riley's 6music show tonight. 4 tracks apparently. iplayer/sounds it if you miss it.

Just listened to the session and it's brilliant. Riley rated it as among the best he's ever hosted and it'd be hard to disagree.

What was the Lexington show like?

alan nagsworth

It was really good! The guitarist in particular sounded great, and the tone of the guitar was totally spot on for each tune. He's a talented chap. The whole thing was just really sweet and cute and fun. I'm in the middle of a huge awful funk right now but seeing them play last night I was grinning and getting right into it. Kudos to them for dragging me out of the hole for an hour; no easy feat.

My one gripe with their performance is that, what with Deerhoof clearly being the biggest of their wide array of influences, the drummer wants to have the same live energy that Greg Saunier does: frenetic, flying in and out of rhythm as the rest of the band gels around him with that wonderful telekinetic oneness. However, it was apparent that he's not quite there yet, and a couple of the songs sort of fizzled and ended as he clattered them to a close, when they could have been tighter, in that loose sort of way, you know?

Essentially, though, this was their first ever sold out UK show, they were excited beyond belief and clearly having an incredibly fun time on stage. They're figuring their stage presence out, and it was very entertaining to watch. The beaming grin on the singer's face as she star-jumped and spun about the stage said it all.

FYI, they're back and playing Scala at the end of October. I'll almost certainly be there and it'd be good to see some of you there too, if you can make it.

Crabwalk

Great report Nags. Sorry to hear about your slump, but it's heartening that there's still music out there capable of lifting us out of these low points, even if just temporarily.

I have my Scala ticket booked already. Don't want to miss out again.