Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Larry Charles' Dangerous World of Comedy

Started by Keebleman, February 27, 2019, 11:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

This four part series is on Netflix.  I've seen the first episode, which is about comedy in countries that have been ripped apart, blown to bits, torn to shreds, etc by warfare.  It is utterly extraordinary, a glimpse into worlds I had no inkling of.  There are comedians here for whom 'courageous' is a literal quality, they risk far more than a #cancelling.

Based on this first episode, Charles deserves real acclaim for the series. And he shows some literal courage himself, in his never-ever-ever-ever-to-be-forgotten interview with General Butt Naked (no hyphen) of Liberia.

But he's not above implying that a clip from Four Lions is genuine Iraqi comedy.

BlodwynPig

Yeh, I saw that Four Lions mistake and turned off.

EOLAN

Caught all this. The third episode certainly appeared to be a big drop in the stakes when compared to the first two. Was difficult to take it as seriously due to the extremities of what happened before. Does kind of display to some extent as well how with the blanket coverage of Trump's America and Brexit how genuinely things can actually get in the world.

Anyway I am sounding critical but it's just the first episode in particular was such a high and amazingly both dark and life-affirming. Also was a good interview a couple of weeks ago on Gilbert Gottfried's Colossal Podcast. Not sure if Larry Charles has done much more on the podcast circuit or not to promote this.

Keebleman

Quote from: EOLAN on February 28, 2019, 10:18:27 AM
Caught all this. The third episode certainly appeared to be a big drop in the stakes when compared to the first two. Was difficult to take it as seriously due to the extremities of what happened before. Does kind of display to some extent as well how with the blanket coverage of Trump's America and Brexit how genuinely things can actually get in the world.

Anyway I am sounding critical but it's just the first episode in particular was such a high and amazingly both dark and life-affirming. Also was a good interview a couple of weeks ago on Gilbert Gottfried's Colossal Podcast. Not sure if Larry Charles has done much more on the podcast circuit or not to promote this.

It was the Gilbert Gottfried podcast that led me to the show.  They mentioned it in the intro and I put off hearing the rest of it until I'd watched it.  Seen two episodes now, and I thought the second was a step down in intensity and interest from the first: the injured US soldiers using humour to cope with what has happened to them is less gripping than people using humour to cope with what is happening (or might happen).

Quote from: EOLAN on February 28, 2019, 10:18:27 AM
Not sure if Larry Charles has done much more on the podcast circuit or not to promote this.

He's on the most recent episode of the Chapo Trap House podcast if anyone's interested

Rolf Lundgren

Really enjoyed this series. Larry Charles is a great host for something like this and found the whole thing very interesting. The American heavy episodes don't quite hit the mark in the same way compared to what you see in Iraq, Somalia and Liberia and wish he'd have gone to more places like that. There's so many notable people in this to talk about but a highlight was those two lads doing street theatre in the graveyard who were like characters from Borderlands.

My small criticism is that I could have done without seeing images of dead bodies, severed heads and people getting shot.