Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PS1 games what are good, like

Started by madhair60, February 28, 2019, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Just ordered a PlayStation Classic because it's now absolutely pimps to hack it and stick all the PS1 games on there. I can fit about, ooh, 80-90. So tell me what ones are well good. No fucking RPGs, they're all AIDS. Thanks.

Jerzy Bondov

ever heard of castlevania the symphony of the night

edit: Off top of my head:
Alundra
Chrono Cross
Legend of Dragoon
Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Grandia
Suikoden II
Breath of Fire III
Wild Arms
Persona 2
Vandal Hearts

madhair60

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 28, 2019, 12:05:50 PM
ever heard of castlevania the symphony of the night

Yes mate, it is toilet, please don't recommend any more games. Thank you

Jerzy Bondov

Here we are then: Croc: Legend of the Gobbos.

That's what you wanted to hear, isn't it? Fucking Croc.

Jersey Devil.

Jerzy Bondov

madhair60

Croc and Jersey Devil were already on my list, but Blasto wasn't. Thank you.

magval

magval

Shite comedy answer there. Here, Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha has the best soundtrack ever. Resident Evils 1-3. Disney's Action Game Starring HerculAIDS. Mickey's Wild Adventure. LA Space Future Cops.

Jerzy Bondov

I expect madhair loves Rascal. Probably thinks it's the best game ever made. You gonna get Bubsy 3D on there as well are you pal?

Einhander.

The English release was probably called Onehander though

madhair60

Added SFEX and Einhander, grand job. Here's what I've got lined up so far, genuinely. this is genuine.

G-Darius
R-Types
R-Type Delta
Tempest X3
Speed Freaks
Rival Schools
Twisted Metal 2 World Tour
Net Yaroze disc
Unholy War
Future Cop LAPD
One
Doom
Skullmonkeys
Gex
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Gex: Deep Cover Gecko
Croc
Croc 2
Bugs and Taz Time Busters
Jersey Devil
Akuji the Heartless
Frogger
Frogger 2
Disney's Tarzan
Bomberman World
Bishi Bashi Special
Tekken 3
Blasto
Rollcage
WWF Smackdown 2
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Einhander

Phil_A

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 28, 2019, 12:19:59 PM
I expect madhair loves Rascal. Probably thinks it's the best game ever made. You gonna get Bubsy 3D on there as well are you pal?

Monkey Hero, madhair?

"Yeah it's me favourite"

Alundra 2?

"Better than Ocarina Of Time"

Jerzy Bondov

What's the one with the glove called? Glovey? Mr. Glove? The Glove Game? Anyway that one.

madhair60

I like every game ever made, sorry. games are just good.

you're like ooh, framedrops from 60 to 59, doxx the women who work there

Fuck off.

lazarou

QuoteWhat's the one with the glove called? Glovey? Mr. Glove? The Glove Game? Anyway that one.

Glover?

Anyway, some recs:

Kagero: Deception 2 - murder idiots with a series of elaborate traps. Series still continues to this day but this is the definitive one.

Trap Gunner - More traps, this time with more of a tactical action style to it. Great multiplayer provided you can convince someone to play such an old esoteric thing.

Hogs Of War - Strategy effort starring the voice of Rik Mayall that's probably going to get mentioned at least a couple more times on here.

Jerzy Bondov

Mr. Driller

edit: Toy Story 2

I thought of another but I can't remember it now.

Utter Shit

Be wary of people recommending ones that they loved at the time, most of them have aged horribly to the point of being unplayable. Tomb Raider in particular is so, so terrible by modern standards. From my limited experience I think, both gameplay and graphics-wise, SNES games have aged far better.

Phil_A

Actual serious answers:
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evils
Parappa The Rapper
Quake 2
Alien Resurrection
Silent Hill
Galerians
Micro Machines
Abe's Oddysey
Die Hard Trilogy

Kryton

Quote from: madhair60 on February 28, 2019, 12:07:43 PM
Yes mate, it is toilet, please don't recommend any more games. Thank you

Madhair you are consistently wrong.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 28, 2019, 01:01:28 PM
I thought of another but I can't remember it now.
I have remembered the game I was thinking of and it is called Swagman. I read about it in a magazine at the time. Never played it. I just watched a video and it looks shite so probably worth a look.

Oh oh oh, what about Herc's Adventures?! Good as fuck.

Bazooka

Parasite Eve 1&2
Dino Crisis
Legend of Legia( a lovely little RPG)
Wild Guns
Fighting Force
Mary-Kate and Ashley: Magical Mystery Mall

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 28, 2019, 01:33:52 PM
Be wary of people recommending ones that they loved at the time, most of them have aged horribly to the point of being unplayable. Tomb Raider in particular is so, so terrible by modern standards.
I actually played Tomb Raider for the first time ever recently and was surprised at how well I thought it held up.

From my limited experience I think, both gameplay and graphics-wise, SNES games have aged far better.
It's a bit of an apples and oranges type of comparison though. If you're going to compare early polygon games to sprite based ones, it would at least seem more fair to compare them to the earliest home consoles, from before even the NES was released.

Bazooka

Be wary of people recommending ones that they loved at the time, most of them have aged horribly to the point of being unplayable. Tomb Raider in particular is so, so terrible by modern standards. From my limited experience I think, both gameplay and graphics-wise, SNES games have aged far better.

Mate if you talk about my bird Lara Croft like that again, you are going to get a knuckle supper!

PlanktonSideburns

That fighting game where if you're stabbed once you're FUCKED

Ape escape, great fun, cheeky monkey CUNTS

Utter Shit

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 28, 2019, 02:45:35 PM
I actually played Tomb Raider for the first time ever recently and was surprised at how well I thought it held up.

Genuinely really surprised by that. The third-person view has my brain wired to modern controls, which made not being able to look in a different direction to where I was facing absolutely infuriating. The movement system in general felt so cumbersome, particularly going backwards which could only be done by jumping. It's not the game's fault, I had great fun playing the Tomb Raider games when they came out, but the advanced control systems on modern games of Tomb Raider's ilk made it feel so limited and laboured by comparison. I just found it annoying to play.

QuoteIt's a bit of an apples and oranges type of comparison though. If you're going to compare early polygon games to sprite based ones, it would at least seem more fair to compare them to the earliest home consoles, from before even the NES was released.

Fair point, but I'm not really trying to compare like-for-like, I'm just giving my experience of the two consoles I've been replaying recently, the first two I had as a kid. Super Mario Kart and in particular Super Mario World don't feel like they have aged a day. Partly because the graphics were never trying to look real and so don't look shit compared to modern efforts, and maybe partly because I've barely played a Mario game since and so I'm not really aware of whatever, presumably massive, gameplay improvements have been made in the intervening 25 years or so. Whereas a lot of PS1 games I've played recently look incredibly poor by ultra-realistic modern standards, which I expected, but were also nowhere near as much fun to play, which surprised me.

To be fair I had a good knockabout of the original GTA for half an hour or so, and FF7 hasn't aged too badly despite the main character graphics being crap, but everything else I tried had dated very poorly. I've not yet dared to try Destruction Derby 2 in case it sullies my memories of what a gloriously entertaining, perfect game it was.

Twed

Yeah, early 3D is rarely timeless, because so much of it looks flawed and broken. With 2D pixel art the movement mechanics are evergreen, and the artwork might be limited to its hardware but at least never looks broken/incorrect, so it stands up to the test of time.

Phil_A

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 28, 2019, 04:24:16 PM
Genuinely really surprised by that. The third-person view has my brain wired to modern controls, which made not being able to look in a different direction to where I was facing absolutely infuriating. The movement system in general felt so cumbersome, particularly going backwards which could only be done by jumping. It's not the game's fault, I had great fun playing the Tomb Raider games when they came out, but the advanced control systems on modern games of Tomb Raider's ilk made it feel so limited and laboured by comparison. I just found it annoying to play.

Fair point, but I'm not really trying to compare like-for-like, I'm just giving my experience of the two consoles I've been replaying recently, the first two I had as a kid. Super Mario Kart and in particular Super Mario World don't feel like they have aged a day. Partly because the graphics were never trying to look real and so don't look shit compared to modern efforts, and maybe partly because I've barely played a Mario game since and so I'm not really aware of whatever, presumably massive, gameplay improvements have been made in the intervening 25 years or so. Whereas a lot of PS1 games I've played recently look incredibly poor by ultra-realistic modern standards, which I expected, but were also nowhere near as much fun to play, which surprised me.

You hold down the walk button to step backwards, same as in every other "classic" TR. Heh, no wonder you were struggling.

The best version of original Tomb Raider to play was the PC port in any case, higher res graphics + the ability to save anywhere.

Jerzy Bondov

I didn't actually have a PS1 so I've hardly played any of the games mentioned in this thread. By my count there are 58 games mentioned here which I haven't played. I need a project so I've made a list and I'm going to give them all at least 30 minutes of my VERY PRECIOUS time. madhair, please do not install any games until I have provided the definitive verdict on all of them. So in about ten years.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Twed on February 28, 2019, 04:37:26 PM
Yeah, early 3D is rarely timeless, because so much of it looks flawed and broken. With 2D pixel art the movement mechanics are evergreen, and the artwork might be limited to its hardware but at least never looks broken/incorrect, so it stands up to the test of time.
Bah. I bet that chap in your avatar controlled like a load of rubbish. I played a bit of Manic Miner some years back and it was annoying as hell.

Wipeout 3 still looks (and plays) fantastic. It even has a 16:9 widescreen mode. Brilliant game, probably never bettered in the series.