Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PS1 games what are good, like

Started by madhair60, February 28, 2019, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

If you like fighting games Soul Blade (might be Soul Edge on ROM) is excellent. Great cast, music and story mode.

And a vote for Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Another of my favourite fighters is Marvel Super Heroes, which came out just before Marvel Vs Capcom took the series in a different direction forever. Great BIG SMASHY Capcom style fighting. Nice snapshot of the usually-maligned 90s Marvel too (smart Hulk, married Spidey, plus Shuma-Gorath is one of the main fighters).

Crash Bandicoot 2.

Rosco McQueen is a game about a firefighter who really smugly exclaims 'WATERRR" when he finds some water. Not a keeper but a good twenty minutes' giggles out of it.

Phil_A

Forgot Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver. So those two as well.

Space ghost

Beagle 2

Pong. I still play it to this day. Really playable and challenging, great music, I loved that game. Of the two versions of Pong I've played which is Pong basic Pong and Pong PS1 Pong it's the best Pong.

Z

Jerzy Bondov

I didn't know the original Gex was a side scroller. Thought it was 3D like the one I have played, Gex 2. I also assumed he was Leslie Phillips in all the games, but that's just Gex 2. It's Dana Gould in the first one. They replaced him with Phillips and then Danny John Jules, but only in the UK. None of these people sound anything like each other. Anyway he's fucking annoying and the game is really ugly. These pre-rendered sprite graphics have aged worse than the shoddy wobbly 3D if you ask me. However it does play quite well and I did quite enjoy it. Climbing up the walls is good. Overall three geckos out of five.

Got WWF Smackdown 2 downloading now so we'll see how the loading times are.

Jerzy Bondov

Load times aren't bad on emulator. Saving takes a while though. I spent half of my allotted time with this game designing the perfect wrestler, pictured below battling a gentleman named Steven Richards who I thought looked like a sensible opponent with his shirt and tie:

He was supposed to be called FUCK HEAD but I mistyped and couldn't work out how to go back so FUCK HEAC it is.

Unfortunately poor FUCK HEAC was no match for Mr. Richards.

I don't know anything about wrestling. I wasn't allowed to watch it. All of the buttons seem to do the same thing (ie nothing) and I don't even know how to win a match. Completely unfathomable. Highly recommended 5 wrestling rings out of 5 wrestling rings.

Twed

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 28, 2019, 05:01:45 PM
Bah. I bet that chap in your avatar controlled like a load of rubbish. I played a bit of Manic Miner some years back and it was annoying as hell.
Yes, but we're not comparing stuff from the 8-bit era to early 3D. I wasn't making an argument for "everything drawn in pixels is better than all 3D", that's nuts.

The idea that this

might be more timeless than this

is fair, I think.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 28, 2019, 04:03:36 PM
That fighting game where if you're stabbed once you're FUCKED

Bushido Blade. Thought it was class at the time.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Twed on February 28, 2019, 10:15:28 PM
Yes, but we're not comparing stuff from the 8-bit era to early 3D. I wasn't making an argument for "everything drawn in pixels is better than all 3D", that's nuts.

The idea that this

might be more timeless than this

is fair, I think.
I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'm still not convinced it's particularly fair. Also, while it might look pleasant, Yoshi's Island is still clearly of its time, what with all that pixellation.

Twed

Compare with the platform's first game, then

It was very, very difficult to get anything to look tastefully-done on the PS1.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Twed

Ferris

Medieval
Crash Bandicoot
Wipeout
Resident Evil
Was Tony Hawk on Ps1? If so, that

a peepee tipi

CTR is all you need, however:
Disney's Hercules
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Heart of Darkness
Brave Fencer Musashi
Tomba and Tomba 2
Pac-Man World, I mean you're gonna put yourself through fuckin Croc

madhair60

Croc is a game I played as a kid, hence it's going on there.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 28, 2019, 05:16:27 PM
Wipeout 3 still looks (and plays) fantastic. It even has a 16:9 widescreen mode. Brilliant game, probably never bettered in the series.

WIP3OUT granddad.

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 01, 2019, 09:02:51 AM
WIP3OUT granddad.

G3T FUCK3D.

(All joking aside, it wasn't called Wip3out in the US, and that's where you'll want your ISO from)

Ferris

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 01, 2019, 03:15:10 AM
Medieval
Crash Bandicoot
Wipeout
Resident Evil
Was Tony Hawk on Ps1? If so, that

Yeah Hawk was on there, good shout, also Dave Mirra BMX was good fun.

Ferris

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 01, 2019, 11:02:55 AM
It's Einhander. Well worth your time or anyone's time.

Well we'd all like a one-hander but we're trying to focus on PS1 games for a minute.

PlanktonSideburns

More reviews please jervsky brurstrozov

magval

Here Madhair, have you started on this yet?

I'm wondering how well it runs. I've got some PS1 games on a Raspberry Pi but they're the only thing it struggles with and I wouldn't mind getting one of these and hacking it if I only I knew that it wasn't stuttery or anything like that.

Will you let me know how you get on when you enact your mad plan? Cheers.

madhair60

Quote from: magval on March 02, 2019, 07:59:58 AM
Here Madhair, have you started on this yet?

I'm wondering how well it runs. I've got some PS1 games on a Raspberry Pi but they're the only thing it struggles with and I wouldn't mind getting one of these and hacking it if I only I knew that it wasn't stuttery or anything like that.

Will you let me know how you get on when you enact your mad plan? Cheers.

Aye. It's not as easy as I thought, though. At the moment you need a USB 2.0 memstick, and it has to be a shit one. The next update to the hack will remove this issue. I've done the initial payload hack but I can't start adding games til I get a specific type of memstick which is arriving tomorrow.

The unit itself, unhacked, is a beautiful thing with a damn solid library. The controllers alone are worth the price to me. haha.

Jerzy Bondov

Frogger 2 is great. You move on a grid like classic Frogger but it's got jawdropping 3D graphics and more intricate levels. You can ribbit to locate frog babies and you have a big tongue that zips out and eats bugs. Absolutely tremendous game, possibly one of the best ever made.

Dex Sawash

BUST-A-MOVE ok gameplay but loads of mad fucking noises and weird music