Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PS1 games what are good, like

Started by madhair60, February 28, 2019, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Racer Type 4
Kulaworld
Kurushi
Starblade Alpha
Ehrgeiz
Jumping Flash 1 & 2
Ghost In The Shell

Ferris

magval

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 02, 2019, 01:08:37 PM
BUST-A-MOVE ok gameplay but loads of mad fucking noises and weird music

I was trying to enrage my wife the other day by going "oom wap oom oom wap" to remind her that she's a fucking freak for having finished Bust a Move 2 the freak. She has no interest in games at all but has bate Bust a Move 2.

I adore the sound design in that game.

ASFTSN

Bushido Blade
Wip3out
Abe's Exoddus

H-O-W-L

Ferris

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 03, 2019, 06:15:08 AM

Criminal it's gone unmentioned.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 01, 2019, 03:15:10 AM
Medievil
Crash Bandicoot
Wipeout
Resident Evil
Was Tony Hawk on Ps1? If so, that

machotrouts

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 02, 2019, 01:08:37 PM
BUST-A-MOVE ok gameplay but loads of mad fucking noises and weird music

The big loud noise it makes in Bust-a-Move 2 every time you fire one of those bubble things, I don't remember what anything in the game is called, is that called Busting a Move, anyway, that, that noise made my dad want to murder me as a child. "That noise!" he'd cry. Otherwise heartily recommended

magval

Consider yourself in the modern parlance an influencer, Madhair. I've bought one of these and am setting about loading up the modding settings this evening. I agree that the base unit is actually quite lovely and the controllers are fabulous.

Jerzy Bondov

I saw on Twitter he's got it running, it's great and has the cover art and everything. Mighty tempting.

Stand by for my definitive review of Mary-Kate and Ashley: Magical Mystery Mall. Want to spend a bit more time with this masterpiece.

Thursday

Going beyond games that are actually good, what about "Overboard" that's something I think of as very PS1 era thing you played on a demo disc and kind of had fun with but it was so far down the list of priorities you never bought it.

Also Ape Escape, that was genuinely good. I know you don't need any more suggestions though.

God I'd love to buy that thing you've made up straight out of the box though. I'd pay good money for it.

Consignia

Quote from: Thursday on March 03, 2019, 08:55:28 PM
Also Ape Escape, that was genuinely good. I know you don't need any more suggestions though.

You can't play Ape Escape on a Playstation Classic, it needs the dual analog sticks.

Thursday

Oh yeah, that shows just how much they fucked it.

Consignia

I bet they were planning to do a follow device with dual shocks, possibly based on the PSone, until they saw how much this device has been slated, and how quickly they dropped in price.

madhair60

Quote from: Consignia on March 03, 2019, 08:58:53 PM
You can't play Ape Escape on a Playstation Classic, it needs the dual analog sticks.

You can hook up a Dualshock 3 or 4 and it will work.

Incidentally I got the memstick and hacked mine successfully. Spent last night on Future Cop and Ghost in the Shell, both amazing.

Consignia

Doesn't connecting separate controllers negate one of the selling point of the device; the controllers it comes with are great?

I should have known as soon as I posted that, as the USB ports would allow it. Probably with a bit of trickery you could wire up an Alexa and play with voice.

magval

Quote from: madhair60 on March 04, 2019, 08:37:35 AM
You can hook up a Dualshock 3 or 4 and it will work.

Incidentally I got the memstick and hacked mine successfully. Spent last night on Future Cop and Ghost in the Shell, both amazing.

What version are you running? The newest version seems to demand using a browser for adding files whereas the videos for the older ones look like you can just drag and drop, which seems easier.

madhair60

The one that needs the browser. It's inelegant but automatically sorts out boxart and info for me, so it's a win.

(I'm gonna publish a fairly exhaustive guide to getting this running over on Retronauts tonight, so maybe keep an eye on that)

Jerzy Bondov

Mary-Kate and Ashley Magical Mystery Mall is bull shit. I put loads of effort into my music video and the producer came back with 'needs more practice', well, he can shove his fucking music video up his fucking arse. And apparently the photos I took at the fashion show weren't good enough either. In fact the only part of the game I did well at is the bit where you have to serve pizza. Minimum wage drudgery. I can only assume whoever recommended this was making a joke of some kind. Very surprising and disappointing outcome.

Jerzy Bondov

Had a quick go on One. I'd never heard of it so didn't know what to expect. I like how you press start and immediately you're having rockets shot at you. If it had been made now you'd spend the first four hours learning how to pick up sacks or something. Anyway half the time you can't see what's going on. Great game.

magval

Quote from: madhair60 on March 05, 2019, 08:23:00 AM
The one that needs the browser. It's inelegant but automatically sorts out boxart and info for me, so it's a win.

(I'm gonna publish a fairly exhaustive guide to getting this running over on Retronauts tonight, so maybe keep an eye on that)

Aye do, and I will.

Twed

Nice, but more Alfred Chicken content please.

magval

Great article, very useful for passing the time as I ended up clothes shopping on a Tuesday evening.

Tell me this, are there any issues with games that have a rake of .bin files (like X-Men: Children of the Atom)? Did you encounter any?

madhair60

Quote from: magval on March 05, 2019, 08:43:39 PM
Great article, very useful for passing the time as I ended up clothes shopping on a Tuesday evening.

Tell me this, are there any issues with games that have a rake of .bin files (like X-Men: Children of the Atom)? Did you encounter any?

I've had no probs. You mean like (Track01) etc? Just select the lot.

Brigadier Pompous

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 05, 2019, 02:14:31 PM
Had a quick go on One.

"I made a mistake".  One was great, think I very nearly finished it back in the day, but not quite...

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah I really like One. Going to keep it on my phone. That and Frogger 2. Got some belters coming up next.

magval

Have filled mine with OPSM demos and Music 2000 to try and recreate a metal tune that my brother's band's guitarist once recorded that I only have on tape.

Feels like I'm not doing it right. Must put a ISS Pro 2 on it for balance.

Fluid was wicked at the time, it was a music creation tool but with a bit of a game built in to it, where you searched for musical notes under the ocean, whilst playing as a dolphin. Probably looks slightly less impressive these days.