Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PS1 games what are good, like

Started by madhair60, February 28, 2019, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Can't help but think Einhander is actually not very good. I don't get it

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: Quote on March 02, 2019, 01:27:47 PM
Ridge Racer Type 4
Kulaworld
Kurushi
Starblade Alpha
Ehrgeiz
Jumping Flash 1 & 2
Ghost In The Shell

I loved the Kurushi demo and think about it often. Hope I can get it on my phone, cheers!

edit: No 'dice' lol

Jerzy Bondov

Had a bit of time to spare today.

G-Darius has got nothing to do with Darius from off of Popstars and later Pop Idol. It's about shooting the eyes off a big robot fish. I'm crap at these shooters and didn't really get anywhere. It looks nice though and plays real smooth, almost as smooth as the lovely singing voice of Darius from off of Popstars and later Pop Idol.

The Unholy War is amazing. It's like Power Stone, ages before Power Stone. It's got a weird blasphemous vibe and you can fight a bull on a conveyer belt. Had no idea this game even existed. Seems like it'd be about a million times more fun with two people though, rather like some shagging, eh lads? (Classic style video games writing)

Akuji the Heartless, like Unholy War and Gex and seemingly everything else, is by Crystal Dynamics. They were churning them out. One of theirs I remember from the Sega Saturn (superior console) is The Horde. Medieval FMV city builder/tower defense type thing. Incredibly badly acted. Just a real gem. Akuji is a pretty typical early 3D platformer with bad combat and a sort of offensive seeming premise although I didn't think about it that much. What I like about all these games is that they look like video games. Like you'd see them in a film where someone on wacky baccy is mashing the buttons on a video game. Games now all look like prestige television. Otherwise they look like NES games.

Monkey Hero, now we're fucking talking. My emulator on my phone didn't really like this one so the titular heroic monkey was transparent for some reason. It's sort of like Zelda isn't it, except it's better because it's a monkey instead of whatever your man off Zelda is. Is he an elf? He's got big ears hasn't he, like an elf. Oh, as well as the monkey hero being transparent, all the environments were quite dark. The sprites have that ugly pre-rendered thing which NEVER looked good, not here, not in Gex, and yes that's right, not even in Donkey Kong Country or its sequels Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble.

Best of this little crop is The Unholy War. End of post.

Thursday

Was anybody ever able to stop Mr Domino? They were adamant nobody could, but I always had my suspicions.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Quote on March 02, 2019, 01:27:47 PM
Kurushi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJVtQkyLxbk
This game encapsulates the whole aesthetic of the PS1 I've always had in my head. That silence from the lack of music, the sound effects, levels floating in this lonely black void. Always had this kind of sad, very slightly unsettling dreamlike quality to them.
Thing is, I don't even remember this game, and I can't think of any other games that feel similar since most of them do have music and aren't eerily silent.

madhair60

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 10, 2019, 10:18:59 PM
Donkey Kong Country or its sequels Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble.

I think you mean Donkey Kong the Gorilla Country, Donkey Kong the Gorilla Country 2: Diddy Kong the Gorilla's Quest and Donkey Kong the Gorilla Country 3: Dixie Kong the Gorilla's Double Trouble.

Ferris

Planet of the Apes (1968)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)

Quote from: madhair60 on March 11, 2019, 09:43:07 AM
I think you mean Donkey Kong the Gorilla Country, Donkey Kong the Gorilla Country 2: Diddy Kong the Gorilla's Quest and Donkey Kong the Gorilla Country 3: Dixie Kong the Gorilla's Double Trouble.

Diddy Kong isn't a gorilla.

madhair60

Of course he is, you fucking dipshit.

With a fucking prehensile tail? Behave yourself.

madhair60

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 11, 2019, 11:15:19 AM
With a fucking prehensile tail? Behave yourself.

I asked Twitter and they all agree with you, so I apologise. I will revise it to Donkey Kong the Gorilla Country 2: Diddy Kong the Monkey's Kong Quest.

Jerzy Bondov

Super Mario Wiki says that they are all part of the species 'Kong' so the correct title is Donkey Kong the Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong the Kong's Kong Quest

Twed

Says here that they like to hold their breath to make it feel better when they cum each other off.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Thursday on March 03, 2019, 08:55:28 PM
Going beyond games that are actually good, what about "Overboard" that's something I think of as very PS1 era thing you played on a demo disc and kind of had fun with but it was so far down the list of priorities you never bought it.

FUUUUUUUUUCK I remember this game, I think I had the demo as well and it was great fun. IIRC it was a demo that also had Porsche Challenge on it.

Side note, does anyone remember a game on the original Gameboy where you played some sort of weird bullshit jelly bean character? I remember almost nothing about it other than it had a sort of Prince of Persia look to it, but it was more of a puzzle game. A cross between Prince of Persia and Lemmings. I only ask because my hazy memories of it are that it was utterly baffling, and I got almost nowhere with it. Would love to play it again to see if my brain can make more sense of it than it did when I was 8.

EDIT: It wasn't Jelly Boy.

EDIT 2: It was "The Rescue of Princess Blobette", slightly different to how I described it but still fucking mental. Different flavours of jelly bean could be fed to this blob thing to turn him into various tools. Odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuf7cdex94

Thursday

Of course Donkey Kong is a gorilla FFS. Twitter is wrong. He's a young gorilla so he looks like a monkey, but that's just how it works in the Donkey Kong universe.

PlanktonSideburns

Thursday

Diddy is a fucking rapper and music producer. Jesus.

Jerzy Bondov

Gave myself a crick in my neck sitting up in bed playing Silent Hill on my phone last night. I thought it was pre-rendered backgrounds like Resident Evil! Didn't expect the camera to be all swoopy. It's shit when you're running around the town, which was pretty much all I did. Seems best to swerve the monsters which isn't very hard in those massive wide streets. The bit at the start where you first go down the alley is good, but once you're let loose in the town it's not very scary. Maybe when you finally reach the school it picks up but I didn't get that far. Might have another crack at it tonight.

Utter Shit

Ah man I loved the open streets - the fog was a brilliant thing to have, hiding the limitations of draw distance (not sure if this is the right term - basically the detail you can see on distant objects) while making the atmosphere even more tense, like something could creep up on you at any minute.

It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember the school being the best bit so it might be worth sticking it out til then.

Twed

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 14, 2019, 02:06:43 PM
Ah man I loved the open streets - the fog was a brilliant thing to have, hiding the limitations of draw distance (not sure if this is the right term - basically the detail you can see on distant objects)
Pretty accurate, although rather than just detail it's that the distant objects aren't drawn at all until they're close.

Jerzy Bondov

Sorry my post isn't very clear, I meant that the camera is shit when you're out in the open streets. My bluetooth joypad has analogue sticks so I kept trying to use the right one to turn the camera round. There is something compelling about the game though, I will definitely push on to the school. That'll take me beyond my 30 minute rule so this is a keeper by default. Ten games down here are the keepers:
Silent Hill
One
Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge

Phil_A

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 14, 2019, 10:00:04 AM
Gave myself a crick in my neck sitting up in bed playing Silent Hill on my phone last night. I thought it was pre-rendered backgrounds like Resident Evil! Didn't expect the camera to be all swoopy. It's shit when you're running around the town, which was pretty much all I did. Seems best to swerve the monsters which isn't very hard in those massive wide streets. The bit at the start where you first go down the alley is good, but once you're let loose in the town it's not very scary. Maybe when you finally reach the school it picks up but I didn't get that far. Might have another crack at it tonight.

I can confirm the game starts "properly" once you reach the school. I remember being confused and annoyed by the foggy streets the first time played, but once you get past that hurdle it's all gravy.

The best thing about the opening section is once you unlock the Hyperblaster weapon you can basically go on an unstoppable rampage through the streets taking out everything that moves, it's extremely cathartic.

Paul Calf

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 01, 2019, 03:15:10 AM
Was Tony Hawk on Ps1? If so, that

Seconding this. THPS was a massive jolt of ace.

JamesTC

THPS 2 and 3 are must plays. There is a lot to like about the first one too even if it feels so much more restrictive compared with the later instalments.

THPS 4 isn't well liked but I think it is worth a play. The style of the game changes completely to individual challenges within a free roam map rather than a big list of challenges to achieve within a two minute run on each level.

Bazooka

Quote from: JamesTC on April 03, 2019, 10:47:04 PM
THPS 2 and 3 are must plays. There is a lot to like about the first one too even if it feels so much more restrictive compared with the later instalments.

THPS 4 isn't well liked but I think it is worth a play. The style of the game changes completely to individual challenges within a free roam map rather than a big list of challenges to achieve within a two minute run on each level.

4 was essentially Jackass on a skateboard, in every which way, great fun to play and really captured the vibe of the time.

Consignia

THPS 4 is my favourite, it's cumulation of the previous great games, before getting to the sillier THUG and beyond stuff. That said, I liked THUG2 as well.

I think the best parts of THPS 4 are the not constraining you to two minutes of playtime per go. So you tackle specific challenges, or just dick about in the same session. Not that I'm averse to the arcade form of the previous titles, but THPS4 felt like it was a lot more free.

Twed

People don't rate THPS4? I just assumed it would be universally considered the best one, due to being that. It's skateboard GTA man, and so broken and charming.

fucking ponderous

I've been obsessed with Suzuki Bakuhatsu for some time.
Each level begins with a live-action slideshow of a Japanese woman doing something mundane when suddenly she picks up, say, an orange (as she does in the first level). Regardless of how well you understand Japanese, sound effects and context clues should convey to you that she suspects this orange is a bomb. And it is.
So then you're taken to the actual game, and the orange/bomb is rendered in good chunky 1998 graphics, and you have to defuse it. And so on with other objects.
There's one level with a lengthy FMV of a Japanese talk show where nothing out of the ordinary happens but I don't understand it because I don't speak Japanese, and another where you have to defuse the sea.

Ferris

THPS2 was the best by a pretty comfortable distance.

3 was ok. Rest were toilet.