Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:57:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee: Snowflake/Tornado

Started by c, February 28, 2019, 01:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c

This is surprising:

Quote"Stewart Lee has announced a new live show, to run for three months in London's Leicester Square Theatre

Snowflake/Tornado comprises two new 60-minute sets, back-to-back. In Tornado, Lee questions his position in the comedy marketplace after Netflix mistakenly lists his show as 'reports of sharks falling from the skies are on the rise again. Nobody on the Eastern seaboard is safe', as originally reported by Chortle back in 2016.

And Snowflake questions his worth 'in a society demolishing the liberal values he has been keen to espouse in a fairy-tale landscape of winter wonder'.

The two shows start on October 29, and run through until the end of January 2020 with tickets on sale from later today.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/02/28/42409/stewart_lee_announces_new_live_show

If 'snowflake' is a comment on woke, I wonder which side he'll come down on.

I'd think pro-woke. I suppose it all depends on who you believe is really "demolishing the liberal values".

up_the_hampipe

Calling a stand-up show "Snowflake" in 2019 is almost as bad as "TRIGGERED". I'm sure it will be good though.

McFlymo

^ I agree, although I'm intrigued by the back-to-back nature of two shows. It reminds me of how Content Provider had the Brexit and Trump bits collide in quite a funny way. I wonder if he's taking this idea further: two shows with different themes, but referencing each other.

kitsofan34

Do you guys think he'll still have his beard by the time of these shows or will he have shaved? A moustache, perhaps?

McFlymo

Different facial hair for each show.

gilbertharding

Schnapple

I was wondering if he'd take on the subject matter of the latter. The description of the first alone made me laugh. I'm in.

BlodwynPig

Bryan Cocks

Just booked tickets. Can't wait to be mildly irritated by Lee doing the whole 'parts of the audience' shtick again.

RedRevolver

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on February 28, 2019, 05:39:24 PM
Just booked tickets. Can't wait to be mildly irritated by Lee doing the whole 'parts of the audience' shtick again.

It's his very own Shilbottle.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on February 28, 2019, 05:39:24 PM

I thought about buying tickets but the possibility of him doing that put me off, I'll wait for reviews to come in before deciding to catch it.

Barry Admin

Very intrigued by Snowflake, as I've been wondering what his attitudes to "political correctness" are these days. I love his previous support of it, so want to see what angle he comes at with regards social justice warriors and outrage culture, and all that sort of business.

Sebastian Cobb

Interesting, he said he was taking a break from stand up for the longest period in 10 years or something after Content Provider.

DrGreggles

Bodes* well for some Fringe warm ups.

*Is that a word? Not sure I've ever seen it written down before. Looks weird.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 28, 2019, 07:02:34 PM
Very intrigued by Snowflake, as I've been wondering what his attitudes to "political correctness" are these days. I love his previous support of it, so want to see what angle he comes at with regards social justice warriors and outrage culture, and all that sort of business.

He's going to do "it's political correctness gone mad" but actually mean it this time.

ToneLa

Maybe he'll have a go at them Millenials. Again! Hi Stew wow nice to meet you please sign my phone

Urinal Cake

Will there be a snowflake or a tornado on the stage? Or both? Or a tornado of snowflakes?

Noodle Lizard

Three months?  Is that normal?

I remember seeing him do Carpet Remnant World at the LST on a residency that was about one month and around the height of his fame, but I'd be surprised if he could sell out half of this run.  Still, close to home, and will make him some money, so fair enough.

Cuellar

robotam

Surely Lee is the Snowflake/Tornado right? Reckon it's pretty much one show with more angrier stuff in the Tornado part. Don't think he's going to start having a go at SJWs, at least not earnestly. Maybe to show he is an old out of touch man.

Aren't all his show titles just trying to tell you what the show is? Usually just Stewart Lee and then a brief explaination of who he is.

Stand up comedian: Only possible objection is whether this is comedy.
90s comedian: Guy who you might remember from being on tv
41st Best Stand Up Ever!: Some list on Channel 4 said that's what he is, so that's what he is.
If you would Prefer a Milder Comedian please ask for one: Whether or not he is to your taste he is a comedian and if he isn't to your taste he's actually a stronger comedian than the ones you like. Also about coffee.
Carpet Remnant World : I forgot about this one when I started typing. Might prove I'm talking shite
Content Provider: Makes stuff. A man speaks and time passes.

Cursus

I see Stew's latest Observer column has upset Andrew Neil:

Twit 2

Way to promote the article, Andy. Well that's egomania for you: a) no one can criticise me! b) look, read this thing about me!

Chriddof

And he used the tired old Private Eye "Who He?" editor comment joke, which really shows how up to date he is with comedy.

c

I have it on pretty good authority that Stewart Lee the free speech advocate who was once accused of blasphemy is now not so much of a free speech advocate.

Stewart Lee has been on Andrew Neil's show several times, so Neil is just pretending not to know who he is out of sheer pettiness

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 05, 2019, 11:08:49 AM
Stewart Lee has been on Andrew Neil's show several times, so Neil is just pretending not to know who he is out of sheer pettiness

Might as well have used the sassy Mariah Carey "I don't know her" GIF.

ToneLa

The fuck's he doin emailing me again so soon? Cunt

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: robotam on March 03, 2019, 11:01:31 AM
Surely Lee is the Snowflake/Tornado right? Reckon it's pretty much one show with more angrier stuff in the Tornado part. Don't think he's going to start having a go at SJWs, at least not earnestly. Maybe to show he is an old out of touch man.

Aren't all his show titles just trying to tell you what the show is? Usually just Stewart Lee and then a brief explaination of who he is.

Stand up comedian: Only possible objection is whether this is comedy.
90s comedian: Guy who you might remember from being on tv
41st Best Stand Up Ever!: Some list on Channel 4 said that's what he is, so that's what he is.
If you would Prefer a Milder Comedian please ask for one: Whether or not he is to your taste he is a comedian and if he isn't to your taste he's actually a stronger comedian than the ones you like. Also about coffee.
Carpet Remnant World : I forgot about this one when I started typing. Might prove I'm talking shite
Content Provider: Makes stuff. A man speaks and time passes.
I liked the names for his tours working out Comedy Vehicle material:
Vegetable Stew
A Room with a Stew
The second is especially descriptive. I went to that and I can't accuse him of not providing either A) a room or B) a Stew. Both were there.

edit: Haha the Andrew Neil thing is really funny and his reaction makes it so much funnier. Stew accuses him of having shredded wheat on his head which has caught on fire and then been eaten by Michael Portillo. And there he is on Twitter going mad with rage.

olliebean

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 01, 2019, 10:26:22 AM
Three months?  Is that normal?

I remember seeing him do Carpet Remnant World at the LST on a residency that was about one month and around the height of his fame, but I'd be surprised if he could sell out half of this run.  Still, close to home, and will make him some money, so fair enough.

As mentioned in his last email, he did 6 months of Content Provider, and I don't think he had any trouble selling tickets. (In fact IIRC the second block of 3 months was put on because the first block had sold out.)