Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - After Life [split topic]

Started by ramsobot, February 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Pancake

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 13, 2019, 12:36:11 PM
Her accent. Her mannerisms. Horrible actress. She's got my back up. She was also gobby in Derek too.

*retweets*

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pancake on March 13, 2019, 12:52:42 PM
*retweets*

Im sure she'd have some opinions about me, let me tell you. Kindness is tragic

jobotic

Detectorists is about as far from Gervais as you could get.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on March 13, 2019, 12:57:51 PM

No-one is arguing that

Pancake

Breast milk rice pudding + terrible gagging acting is the absolute low point in a series that started a 0 and has stayed there, sometimes dropping down to -0

Pancake

This is Gervais sounding off isn't it? Nothing to do with suicide or (robot) grief (dog).

He's just had a go at a chugger (some childrens charity) then given generously to an old lady quietly raising for cancer research.

Cuellar

A brown chugger but I'm sure that's just a coincidence

Blue Jam

Quote from: jobotic on March 13, 2019, 12:57:51 PM

What about Three And Out? I haven't watched it, the premise just sounds too tasteless, a bit too Gervais.

Detectorists is great, obviously.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Pancake on March 13, 2019, 01:04:14 PM
Breast milk rice pudding
He was doing jokes about this on Room 101 - seventeen years ago.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 13, 2019, 12:36:11 PM
Her accent. Her mannerisms. Horrible actress. She's got my back up. She was also gobby in Derek too.

Gervais seems to construct these hateful characters that seep into the actors portraying them. Gareth, for example - ive heard he's good in Detectorists, but i won't go near.

The Detectorists is everything that Gervais isn't. Quiet, contemplative, understated, and trusts it's audience to see the nuance and funny bits without hitting them over the head with them. It is also grounded and feels real. The characters don't just turn up to do a catchphrase, then leave.

It's rare that I stop watching shows because they're so good I want to save them. This, and Nathan for You are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd seek it out if I was you, it's worth your time.

jobotic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 13, 2019, 04:39:27 PM
The Detectorists is everything that Gervais isn't. Quiet, contemplative, understated, and trusts it's audience to see the nuance and funny bits without hitting them over the head with them. It is also grounded and feels real. The characters don't just turn up to do a catchphrase, then leave.

It's rare that I stop watching shows because they're so good I want to save them. This, and Nathan for You are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I did that. I still haven't seen the last episode of Detectorists!

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on March 13, 2019, 04:44:57 PM
I did that. I still haven't seen the last episode of Detectorists!

Or me! Mrs Ferris and I have been saving it, though I have no idea what for.

He just retweeted praise for afterlife from Glenn Beck. Barrel getting a thorough scraping now

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on March 13, 2019, 06:37:18 PM
He just retweeted praise for afterlife from Glenn Beck. Barrel getting a thorough scraping now

Incredible. He'd probably retweet praise from R Kelly at this stage.

BritishHobo

A quote from that praise:

QuoteI've never seen a show like this. This show is truly an example of the golden age of television.

Jesus.

Blue Jam

"You're a cunt."
"Will you go on a date with me?"
"Yes."

Just watched the last episode. After five episodes of A Shit British Falling Down it suddenly turns into A Shit Modern A Christmas Carol.

My brain hurts.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 13, 2019, 06:53:08 PM
Incredible. He'd probably retweet praise from R Kelly at this stage.

Has he retweeted the praise from Peter Ebdon yet?

A Christmas Carol if Ebenezer Scrooge had secretly murdered someone before then trying to attend their funeral/cremation. Then simply shrugging the whole matter off after turning up late. Chilling.

Blue Jam

QDRPHNC

After Life is probably very deep and complex if you've never seen or read anything good.

BlodwynPig

Lots of bereaved people gaining solace from Gandhi Gervais' work.

Danger Man

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 13, 2019, 11:20:28 PM
After Life is probably very deep and complex if you've never seen or read anything good.

Travis B

Just listened to the Extra Hot Great podcast (formally TV Without Pity, very good podcast btw). Where they give it an absolute mauling. All four of them hated it.

https://www.extrahotgreat.com/241

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 13, 2019, 11:20:28 PM

Or indeed anything at all

Mr Faineant

Quote from: neardark on March 13, 2019, 10:52:31 PM
Why is he quoting bits of his own writing?

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1105946001519640580?s=19

It's not even a good thing to say. It boils down to "I'd rather he be dead than me."

Mobius

https://mobile.twitter.com/clukey83/status/1105946840669798402

Ricky still doing bits from his 15 year old xfm show.

As well as only having read 1 book, has he read more than a few quotes or fables? Same ones every time. Should have mentioned Bowie too.