Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - After Life [split topic]

Started by ramsobot, February 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobloblaw

preview was tonight. Anyone had the pleasure? Want to know if its as woefully LOLZ-EDGY as this new clip.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1100048673155751936

St_Eddie

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 27, 2019, 11:00:01 PM
preview was tonight. Anyone had the pleasure? Want to know if its as woefully LOLZ-EDGY as this new clip.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1100048673155751936

That's not a new clip.  That's from the previous trailer.

McFlymo

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 23, 2019, 08:20:14 PM

Everything is ripping off something else, or working inspiration / influence into a new format. It's fairly subjective if you want to use that as praise or criticism. Was the Larry Sanders Show any good? So is it bad to be influenced by other good stuff?

Also, please stop making me defend anything by Ricky Gervais.

idunnosomename

God he was just on Front Row name dropping David Bowie and talking about John Wayne being cancelled

Tiresome cunt he is

phes

"Masterpiece"

"His best work yet"

"Thanks for all your tweets, I've got more tweets than ever..."

Good to see he's persisting with the 'every single day I live is my new greatest achievement and the best day of my life' marketing. Of course for everyone else the opposite is true, culminating in the inevitable endpoint of a teenager making you wear a cum bucket hat, an autistic home-invader putting you in a choke hold to prove a point about kindness or just a straight up sex abuser peering up your skirt while you do some exercises

Cuellar

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: phes on March 01, 2019, 07:22:28 AM
Good to see he's persisting with the 'every single day I live is my new greatest achievement and the best day of my life' marketing. Of course for everyone else the opposite is true, culminating in the inevitable endpoint of a teenager making you wear a cum bucket hat, an autistic home-invader putting you in a choke hold to prove a point about kindness or just a straight up sex abuser peering up your skirt while you do some exercises

In fairness, in that preview clip he's totally nailed the way primary school kids shout paedo at passers-by.

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on March 01, 2019, 10:35:09 AM
Is this out yet?

And are we doing a watchalong? I'm morbidly curious to watch the opener at least.

gotmilk

The style reminds me of Gregg Turkington.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Not only is that an atrocious piece of writing, his reference to Derek as some sort of dark, boundary-pushing comedy makes no sense whatsoever. It may have been many, many extraordinary things, but that wasn't one of them.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 01, 2019, 11:59:56 AM
Not only is that an atrocious piece of writing, his reference to Derek as some sort of dark, boundary-pushing comedy makes no sense whatsoever. It may have been many, many extraordinary things, but that wasn't one of them.

Also it seems odd to act surprised that Gervais is pushing warmth and sweetness FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, as if every episode of Derek didn't end with a five minute montage where everyone tells you how lovely and kind and wonderful everything is.

That review does the thing that every fucker kept doing with Derek, writing things like this:

QuoteNow, in 2019, Netflix is delivering a show that manages to pull off what so many have been trying to do for a decade

Like Gervais is the first person ever in comedy to perform the marvel of writing a comedy with sad bits that explores dark topics. You'd think he invented depression, which is rich given that old clip of him chuckling that it's basically a rich person fad and you never see ordinary working folk with it. Never mind films like Little Miss Sunshine, sitcoms like This Is Us, You're The Worst, My Mad Fat Diary, even Bojack Horseman, which all explore mental health in brilliant and complicated ways. And now Gervais is gonna come in with a show about Ricky Gervais telling fat ugly people they're fat and ugly, and people are gonna act like he's revolutionised comedy again.

thraxx

I'm waiting for Gervais' groundbreaking next series when he plays a man with a cleft lip who wins a massive victory for all people who have cleft lips by becoming famous comedian and teaching people of the world to genuinely not judge on appearances but on their values as a human a genuine level playing field for all of humanity but then he himself gets bitter and angry because people no longer stare at him because he has a cleft lip and finds that he misses the attention of people staring at him purely because he has a cleft lip and takes it upon himself to inflict accumulated centuries of abuse on the normals on behalf of all the disableds ever.

Crabwalk

Did he do that Q&A in character as Brent? I can imagine him glancing at the camera after each of these final lines.

QuoteI haven't really watched comedy for two years. I've watched 'Scandi Noir' – The Bridge, The Killing, Before We Die, Black Lake, Greyzone. They're amazing. The pacing's different. Uncompromised. It's for grown-ups.

QuoteThen Netflix come along and there are no restrictions – less than anyone – the sky's the limit – 140 million subscribers – and they're very generous. They even have the 'C word' in the trailer. That's never been done.

QuoteHe's experimenting. You know how a toddler pushes the boundaries? He's a bit spoiled. And he's not well. He's in the second phase of grief. He's depressed and he's angry and he's just trying to lash out to make himself feel better for a split second. He's an owl in a trap.

Cuellar

Crabwalk

Yeah an owl. They're always getting depressed and lashing out at mice to make themselves feel better. Until they get caught in one of those owl traps.

Cuellar

I'm genuinely fascinated by that choice. I suppose he couldn't say 'rat' in a trap, wouldn't want to associate himself with a rat, horrible animal innit. What else gets caught in traps? Bears? Too far the other way, strong, powerful, bit arrogant to say that. Mouse? Too much like rat.

Er....

OWL, they are wise and deadly but unassuming. Quiet, mysterious.

Perfect.

Butchers Blind

C'mon now, you're all going to watch this.

BritishHobo

Mango Chimes

Despite all his crap, he is still just an owl in a trap.

St_Eddie

"An owl in a trap" is exactly the sort of thing that would have led to Karl being called a moron and cackled at by Gervais for the billionth time.  Hypocrite.

thraxx

Quote from: Cuellar on March 01, 2019, 12:35:33 PM
Owl?!

Come on, it's deep man.  How deep?  Take your pick.

OWL   Online Writing Lab
OWL   Overwatch League (gaming clan)
OWL   Web Ontology Language (W3C)
OWL   Opening the World of Learning (curriculum)
OWL   Ostwestfalen-Lippe (German region)
OWL   Our Whole Lives (Unitarian Universalist youth groups)
OWL   Olympic Weightlifting (sport)
OWL   Older Women's League (Washington, DC)
OWL   Ongoing Weight Loss (Atkins diet)
OWL   Orthopaedic Web Links
OWL   Outpost Firewall
OWL   Oxford Wireless Lan
OWL   Open Windows Library
OWL   Web Ontology Language
OWL   Other Wooded Land (classification)
OWL   Ontology Web Language
OWL   Outdoor Webelos Leader (Boy Scouts)
OWL   Object Windows Library
OWL   Online Web Library
OWL   Overwhelmingly Large Telescope
OWL   Ordinary Wizarding Level (Harry Potter books)
OWL   Organization-Wide Learning
OWL   Obsessed With Learning
OWL   Optical Wallet Light (magnifier)
OWL   Outlined White Letters (Refers to outlined white-letters on the sidewalls of certain tires)
OWL   Orbiting Wide-Angle Light Collector
OWL   Omaha Worship Leaders (Omaha, NE)
OWL   Obfuscated Weird Language (character-based language interpreter)
OWL   Outdoors Without Limits
OWL   Open-Wire Line
OWL   Open Space, Water Resource Protection and Land Use
OWL   Operator Wireless and Line
OWL   Obstacle Warning Laser
OWL   Order of the White Lotus (animated TV show Avatar: The Last Airbender)
OWL   Older & Wiser Lutheran
OWL   One Way Landers
OWL   Online with Laura (golf)
OWL   Object Work List (programming)
OWL   Outstanding Working List (manufacturing)

Bazooka

Just looked, and saw many owl trap pictures.

PlanktonSideburns

Owl in a trap
I can't walk out
Because I love saying mong too much, baby

Tony Yeboah

References to owls? He's nicking Harry Hill's material again.

Ferris

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 01, 2019, 05:21:26 PM
Owl in a trap
I can't walk out
Because I love saying mong too much, baby

This really made me laugh

Schnapple

It's interesting to have Ricky and Steve both out on the circuit at the moment, promoting two wildly different projects, and witnessing how witty and thoughtful Smerch is, in comparison to Ricky's typical defensive auteur bollock talk.

jsgibble

His fans will like it no matter what, in Derek he did impressions of disabled people over sad generic piano and they were talking about how sensitive it was