Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:42:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - After Life [split topic]

Started by ramsobot, February 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Well eight days until he reverted to type is pretty good going

Does sound like a pretty stinging attack to be fair

Bronzy

I would love nothing more than for Gervais to have a Milo Yiannopoulos-style fall from grace.

Horrible cunt.

Bryan Cocks

I enjoy how much of a fuss he makes about things he pretends not to care about.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 17, 2019, 11:03:24 AM
A few blue-ticked celebrities jumping on that bandwagon as well, if you keep scrolling through the replies.

I wonder if the aspirations of a younger Ricky Gervais involved receiving the enthusiastic backup of a celebrity ambassador for Carpetright.

Chriddof

Quote from: Bronzy on March 17, 2019, 11:53:36 AM
I would love nothing more than for Gervais to have a Milo Yiannopoulos-style fall from grace.

I think that might happen seeing as he's just set his fans onto a Sunday Times journalist. It's not going to end well.

phes

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on March 17, 2019, 10:54:05 AM
https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1107218520906088448

Crying with laughter emoji.

The 'get her, boys' responses to that tweet are horrible.

The telling thing about this is that the review is behind a paywall. Gervais' fans have piled into that thread, identified the critic and piled into their tweet defending the show, but likely none have even read the review.

Gervais could be noncing the kids at this point and he'd have people jumping to his defence. He's got the absolutely crackers idol worship audience

DrGreggles

Brief online exchange with a Gervaisian friend of mine:

"Watched Gervais' new show?"
"Some of it."
"Thought you'd have binged it all on day one!"
"Started to. It's a bit shit, to be honest."

And he liked Derek!

One by one they're starting to see glimpses of the Emperor's cock and balls...

Morrison Lard

15 unexpectedly sad, poignant and beautiful moments from Ricky Gervais' After Life
5.  The beautiful clips of Tony and his late wife
They show just how precious love can be.

Mate.

phes

Watch Gogglebox, or don't. People mostly absolutely loved it.

It makes me feel a bit sick knowing Gervais has knowingly trained these fans to be triggered and deployed by indirect leads. It's so sinister

BritishHobo

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 17, 2019, 12:31:43 PM
I enjoy how much of a fuss he makes about things he pretends not to care about.

Right? How many times has he wanked on saying not to concern yourself with critics?

BritishHobo

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 17, 2019, 01:00:22 PM
15 unexpectedly sad, poignant and beautiful moments from Ricky Gervais' After Life

Mate.

Wales Online, for fuck's sake.

Quote4. When Tony's dad's carer tells him we should be nice to people with Alzheimer's...

HOW IS THAT AN INSIGHT?! OF FUCKING COURSE WE SHOULD!

Quote..."just in case" they can still feel.

WHAT?!???? I don't even remember that. Fucking just in case. Oh man, and all this time I thought my Alzheimers nan was a Cyberman

jobotic

The best revenge is living well, he says with a smiley face.

Yeah but only after you've whined on about it and set your team of inadequates on her.

What a prick.

Blue Jam

Lots of subtly misogynistic replies there hinting that she's a crazy cat lady or a lonely bitter spinster or some kind of rabid "feminazi" who makes breastmilk rice pudding. Meanwhile the (male) Irish Times journalist is getting a lot of quite reasonable and polite replies.

Gervais really is the comic of the Reddit generation: Smart man DESTROY female Times journalist.

BritishHobo

He really has cultivated the audience he deserves, hasn't he?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 17, 2019, 02:20:26 PM
HOW IS THAT AN INSIGHT?! OF FUCKING COURSE WE SHOULD!

Clearly Ricky had a bad encounter with someone who forgot he did The Office.

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 17, 2019, 05:46:11 PM

Remember lads, follow @rickygervais on twitter.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 17, 2019, 05:46:11 PM

He has. Somewhere deep inside that probably upsets him, as he would love to still have the almost blanket critical respect he had at the time of The Office, but his desire to be unquestioningly loved and feted - even by an audience of morons - is ultimately what drives him.

It's his own fault anyway. If you behave like a massive prick every day on social media while producing terrible, banal, mean-spirited work, then you'll attract fans who think that's something to celebrate.

madhair60

On last episode now. It's like CBBfuckingC.

thugler

Oh my word, the 'how can you not believe in god?' scene. Beyond parody.

colacentral

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but towards the beginning of this thread someone mentioned that he's constantly in photoshoots smoking a cigar now. Before I even heard that the protagonist in this is called Tony I had the thought that he thinks of himself as a Tony Soprano type, as I know he used to reference it a bit on the radio, and on Twitter once he linked to an AV Club article comparing The Office to The Sopranos.

Now in this you have a therapist; this depressed, angry cunt who we're told is actually a nice guy really; a care home for the elderly; the Tony name; and Gervais' cigar obsession. He's mentioned since pre-Cemetary Junction that he wanted to write drama rather than a straight sitcom. The bell actually is trying and failing to write his Sopranos, and probably imagines he actually is Tony Soprano. Tragic.

Bryan Cocks

I've read the start of the review before it's cut off by the paywall, and kudos to Camilla Long for managing to squeeze in maximum viscousness before she fades to white.

samadriel

sevendaughters

To me it seems like Gervais hasn't substantially changed as a person with fame & social media narcissism - that dickhead anti-social Gervais character was around in the 90s - but what has happened in terms of writing is that he has progressively written himself into characters where he is insulated from abuse. Brent IS the entire joke of The Office. We sort of want Millman to do well but we're happy when he fails. In LTS he is a neutral beneficiary to his unimpeachable cipher. Derke is offensive but there's enough plausible deniability to suggest this is just a nice simple guy. After Life is literally the entire cast looking at him saying how nice he is while he acts the absolute cunt. It's quite a journey. The next sitcom will probably be him in a castle of iron napalming nearby villages as the survivors wheel tributes to his gate.

There are obviously other flaws in latter series but he's ultimately preventing us from laughing at the clown.

Pancake

A particularly irksome moment is when useless kerry godliman is on the beach in a flashback scene and is pranked (tony pours a cup of cold water on her, I'd get fucking lamped if I tried that with Mrs Cake) and she does that shit acting thing she does muttering something like 'oh you cunt' but the cunt is really diminutive and half hearted.

You do not utter a casual cunt, spit the word out with the respect it deserves.

Cuellar

Quote from: Pancake on March 18, 2019, 03:19:50 PM
A particularly irksome moment is when useless kerry godliman is on the beach in a flashback scene and is pranked (tony pours a cup of cold water on her, I'd get fucking lamped if I tried that with Mrs Cake) and she does that shit acting thing she does muttering something like 'oh you cunt' but the cunt is really diminutive and half hearted.

You do not utter a casual cunt, spit the word out with the respect it deserves.

My girlfriend did something similar to me in Barcelona, not long into our relationship. I was asleep, and she chucked a glass of water on me, while I was IN BED, making the bedding wet and everything.

I was younger and more impulsive then, so I woke with a start and shouted 'YOU s*****c LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE'. I deeply regret my choice of words, but this was about 10 years ago.

She wasn't happy, and neither was I. It was not charming, nor romantic.

paruses

This has certainly been alluded and maybe even asked and answered but why is Tony lovely? The only things we see are him pouring things on Lisa (is it?) unexpectedly or making her jump. His actions are just selfish and for his own amusement as far as I can see. It's a bit like the end of Humanity where he talks about the pranks at his mum or dad's funeral. I remember his brother's was quite funny but his was writing "you are a little twat" on some prayer cards and giggling madly about it like a 13 year old.

Cuellar

BlodwynPig

Quote from: paruses on March 18, 2019, 07:09:48 PM
This has certainly been alluded and maybe even asked and answered but why is Tony lovely? The only things we see are him pouring things on Lisa (is it?) unexpectedly or making her jump. His actions are just selfish and for his own amusement as far as I can see. It's a bit like the end of Humanity where he talks about the pranks at his mum or dad's funeral. I remember his brother's was quite funny but his was writing "you are a little twat" on some prayer cards and giggling madly about it like a 13 year old.

Because its a show for the working classes who can only ever show real love through violence and horrible pranks.