Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:42:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - After Life [split topic]

Started by ramsobot, February 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Pancake on April 01, 2019, 02:16:31 PM
Or, to expand on Brundleflies point, imagine if he'd written himself as being a proper total put-upon sad sack, like those school kids you see being gobbed on by bullies in grainy cameraphone footage, then imagine if that kid turned around and lamped one of them and floored him; real stakes, earned victory.

Instead you get the impression that Tony is a wanker even when he's not being a widow.

Widow Wanky.

(sorry)

Blue Jam

Gervais's next project should be a rip-off of The Magic Christian. A series based around a millionaire who repeatedly reminds everyone that he's a millionaire in between paying people vast amounts of money to do unpleasant and embarrassing things while he watches and laughs at them, just because he can.

He could call it The Magic Atheist.

Twit 2

I've got through the episode.

'I love you Derek, you're the best + you fat twat' = drama + comedy in his head, doesn't it.

The 'tell, don't show' in these bits is excruciating.

The birthday card man saying 'Love means nothing unless it shared' was a nice line in Into the Wild, at the end of a film that deserves the line after deeply exploring that theme throughout. But here it's just a greeting card.

The amount of references to fatness are what really stick out, odd to the point of pathology.

BritishHobo

For someone so desperately pretending he cares all about kindness, he really is totally uninterested in explaining why fat people are so deserving of being treated like disgusting freaks. Even if he has issues with fat acceptance groups, or thinks they're a burden on the health system or something, surely someone who genuinely believes in kindness would probably not pack every single episode with three overwrought examples of a fat person being gross and awful - at the very least they'd explain what their problem was instead of dehumanising people and making them all the butt of countless joke. Not even a moment of understanding.

He can't get away with 'it's just a joke now' either, cos it's not. It's a magical new genre he's invented which is DRAMA COMEDY

Sebastian Cobb

Reckon he might have a bit of a chip on his shoulder about being a bit chubby himself? He does relentlessly wear black as if he's desperately trying to conceal it.

The Lion King

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 01, 2019, 09:56:19 PM
Reckon he might have a bit of a chip on his shoulder about being a bit chubby himself? He does relentlessly wear black as if he's desperately trying to conceal it.

To be fair to him he does bring this up in one of his early stand ups and has always taken the piss out of fat people even when he was larger than he is now. Steve Merchant pointed out in the xfm days that he had the diet of a child and he openly admitted yamming down loaves of white bread and cheese. Way too much time spent on fat jokes in this though, and his mate is only slightly larger than him!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 01, 2019, 12:27:28 AM
Yes, we know all of that. Derek is absolute fucking dogshit, but we were talking earlier about bits of the show which actually moved us. The only bit I found quite touching was David Earl's sincere performance as a man coming to terms with his alcoholism. None of it made any sense whatsoever, it was atrociously written. Manipulative, unearned bollocks, but for a few brief moments Earl managed to transcend what he was lumbered with. He performed those scenes well. A miracle, really. That's all.

Thanks. This is what I was alluding too.

RenegadeScrew

Based on the first episode at least, it isn't as awful as Derek.  It isn't great but I can make sense of it and some of it was even amusing.  It is essentially a bunch of sketches involving the main character.  Remarkable that Gervais adores Larry David but has written a whole episode with virtually no connecting pieces except Tony needs dog food at the beginning and he buys dog food at the end.  Gervais should've put the dog food purchase in the final episode and that could've been like one of Larry David's season arcs.

Crabwalk

Gervais has gone one better, as the entire series is dog food.

Bit OT, but, apropos of Gervais, has anyone else seen Stephen Merchant's starring in a TV dramatization of gay date-rape-drug serial killer Stephen Port!?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 02, 2019, 06:58:27 AM
Bit OT, but, apropos of Gervais, has anyone else seen Stephen Merchant's starring in a TV dramatization of gay date-rape-drug serial killer Stephen Port!?

Yes.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,71940.750.html

Pancake

I'm haunted by the first video message by the worthless and highly discredited Kerry Godliman where she says 'don't spiral' dunno why, I'm like who even says that?

gatchamandave

IF he ever went on Fabguys he would tick the "muscular" box

BritishHobo

People really really fucking love this show. It's been officially renewed and people are really going nuts on how much they loved the first series.

Man, we are out of touch. I've never felt so totally alien to what most people think.

phes

Dr Sanchez

My girlfriend hates good comedy. She wouldn't watch past  episode one of The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm etc so I decided to put Afterlife to test and asked her if she'd like to watch this new Gervais show. She sighed and agreed but guess what? She loved it, cried at the end an all.

So in summary,  Afterlife is definitely mega shit and I need a new girlfriend.

Rolf Lundgren

I'm completely baffled why this has a second series because there's nothing else to happen. The whole premise of the show has been resolved already. I understand Gervais' popularity and the popularity of the show but as a concept there's nowhere for it to go.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on April 03, 2019, 10:43:00 PM
I'm completely baffled why this has a second series because there's nothing else to happen. The whole premise of the show has been resolved already. I understand Gervais' popularity and the popularity of the show but as a concept there's nowhere for it to go.

I'm guessing that the relationship with the Scottish nurse won't pan out, his dad will probably die and his dog will run out of food again. So that's easily another 6 episodes worth of stuff as long as he writes some more fat jokes and atheist  stuff.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 03, 2019, 11:14:55 PM
...his dad will probably die...

Oh, for fuck's sake!  This hadn't even occurred to me for some bizarre reason but of course he bloody will and Gervais will wring every last drop of bullshit manipulative sentimentality out of it that he can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Gervais sobs and sniffs uncontrollably*

"Oh don't go, Dad.  Please!  I'm sorry that I got angry at you for having dementia.  You can make all of the unaware nonsensical comments that you want to!  You can say sexist and racist things.  I don't care, just stay here.  I don't even care if you don't remember who I am.  Just don't leave me!  I love you more than life itself and I'll tell you what, you were a great Dad!  The best Dad ever!"

*cue Coldplay track over a montage of over-saturated shots featuring his Dad from happier times, before the dementia; full of life and awareness*

St_Eddie

TWITTER EN MASSE: "OMG!  That was heartbreaking. I was in floods of tears! This show is absolutely genius."

Bennett Brauer

The second series will be more of the same, but with famous celebrities in it.

Chriddof

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 11:57:09 PM
TWITTER EN MASSE: "OMG!  That was heartbreaking. I was in floods of tears! This show is absolutely genius."

JOSEPH GOEBBELS: "This is truly a perfect example of the golden age of television. Mein Gott, es ist heiß hier!"

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 11:44:15 PM
Oh, for fuck's sake!  This hadn't even occurred to me for some bizarre reason but of course he bloody will and Gervais will wring every last drop of bullshit manipulative sentimentality out of it that he can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Gervais sobs and sniffs uncontrollably*

"Oh don't go, Dad.  Please!  I'm sorry that I got angry at you for having dementia.  You can make all of the unaware nonsensical comments that you want to!  You can say sexist and racist things.  I don't care, just stay here.  I don't even care if you don't remember who I am.  Just don't leave me!  I love you more than life itself and I'll tell you what, you were a great Dad!  The best Dad ever!"

*cue Coldplay track over a montage of over-saturated shots featuring his Dad from happier times, before the dementia; full of life and awareness*

DAD DEAD - GERVAIS HAS SUPERPOWER BACK.

Gervais walks into a butchers with his sunglasses on.

Gervais: Gimme two pork chops now you fat meat handling cunt

Butcher: Oh, sorry. I don't have any left. God willing we'll have some tomorrow.

Gervasi: F... F.. For fucks sake! Firstly, how can a butcher not have pork chops and secondly, god doesn't exist you absolute mess, you turd of a man. I hate you. Die now!

Butcher: Please be happy, you're so funny, you're so kind. You deserve so much in life.

Gervais daydreams about the time he hilariously pepper sprayed his wife and walks out of the butchers to go home and smoke crack with his dog.

Enrico Palazzo

Only just discovered his company is called Derek Productions.

Amusing.

phes

Would love to see Ricky bring back Derke in season 2 of AfterLife. After Tony relapses big time into a life of relentless cruelty an angel appears to show him the path of enlightenment

Derke shuffles into the headquarters of the tambury gazzette. I don'ts likes wots I see Tony, kindness is magic

Cheer up mate, why the mong face hahahahahahaha

jsgibble

Fresh on the heels of his critically acclaimed series Dwarf in a Toilet and Autistic Man in an Old People's Home, TV funnyman and comedy genius Ricky Gervais strikes gold again with another moving, hilarious comedy-drama.

Cold Meat Platter

Dr Sanchez

HAHAHAHAHAH. Afterlife bloopers - https://youtu.be/hraJcCDNEMk

Just read the comments for some real life human mistakes.

Bennett Brauer

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 09, 2019, 01:31:34 AM
HAHAHAHAHAH. Afterlife bloopers - https://youtu.be/hraJcCDNEMk

My sides are splitting!

No, really.  Somebody just slashed me with a butcher's knife.  For the love of God, send help!