Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - After Life [split topic]

Started by ramsobot, February 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Posted in the wrong thread:

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 13, 2019, 12:32:50 AM
I just watched episodes 2-4 back to back. The other actors are good. I like the rape to death line and I smirked at the notion of Corden being essentially a chauffeur. Apart from that it's wall to wall bizarre shit.

Noodle Lizard

Gervais retweeted this:

QuoteIs #rickygervais hiring a sex worker to do cleaning in #AfterLife the greatest satire on patriarchy and marriage or am I reading too much into it?

"Yes, that is absolutely what I had in mind.  Yes."

Also, I'm not sure how that could be seen as even vaguely satirical anyway.  It's also basically the same as that Curb plot where he hires the prostitute to come to the baseball game with him.

https://twitter.com/Clark1995Clark/status/1116814982484832256

"I love you, Dad."

The greatest father and son scene to ever grace our tv screens!

1.5k likes.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on April 14, 2019, 08:29:43 PM

"I love you, Dad."

1.5k likes.

Haha, Gervais has targeted his new audience with pin point accuracy.

These are the kind of people who would have tweeted "The #office is soooo boring, nothing happens and it's sooooo cringe" if Twitter existed around 2001.

Gervais knows this too unless he's totally lost his mind.

jsgibble

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 15, 2019, 12:38:18 PM

Haha, Gervais has targeted his new audience with pin point accuracy.

These are the kind of people who would have tweeted "The #office is soooo boring, nothing happens and it's sooooo cringe" if Twitter existed around 2001.

Gervais knows this too unless he's totally lost his mind.

It's weird to think about but it's true. A lot of the millions who watched After Life will be young and clueless enough that they either won't have seen The Office or saw a bit of it, didn't get it and prefer the American version.

Either way, Gervais has found a new audience here. They'll watch it and he can keep on selling his low-effort shit to Netflix for tens of millions of dollars. 

idunnosomename

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on April 14, 2019, 08:29:43 PM

"I love you, Dad."

1.5k likes.
that's essentially a ricky gervais stan account. repulsive.

Edmonds

I haven't watched anything beyond episode 1 of this, but I did find that father/son scene quite touching until the "gay" line, which read to me like 'I've reached the end of my ability to write anything remotely poignant - time to fall back on the good old shite'.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Edmonds on April 19, 2019, 07:09:40 PM
I haven't watched anything beyond episode 1 of this, but I did find that father/son scene quite touching until the "gay" line, which read to me like 'I've reached the end of my ability to write anything remotely poignant - time to fall back on the good old shite'.

Hahaha... "gay".

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He probably does write his stuff while half-pissed. Unlike most people, he wakes up the next morning and thinks, "Yeah, that'll do."

Ferris

Quote from: darby o chill on May 06, 2019, 10:27:48 PM

Imagine this smug over this utter dreck. As if it goes through more than one write/rewrite as well!

PlanktonSideburns

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 06, 2019, 10:54:43 PM
Imagine this smug over this utter dreck.

Judging by the reception it got, he's probably right to be smug about it.

Twit 2

The cunt's worse than Hitler. How many shit TV shows did Hitler write? Zero.

Dr Sanchez

I feel ashamed for ever liking this smug hack.

St_Eddie

Chriddof

I'd imagine that the extent to which Gervais does any rewriting at all extends to changing "owl" to a more suitable animal after he's sobered up.

McFlymo

How does one deal with a twat, who seems friendly enough and easy going but then says, "have you seen that After Life? It's bloody brilliant" ... "Ricky Gervais just tells it like it is...."? I've actually heard real people around me say this on three separate occasions.

I was wrong about Trump, Brexit and now this... I really am out of touch with reality.

idunnosomename

what a waste of paper printing out his first draft

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 07, 2019, 08:07:57 AM
what a waste of paper printing out his first draft

He only printed that page, there's a quire of blanks behind it.

bobloblaw

Conflicting feelings over learning that Russell T Davies is a fan, as revealed in his Radio Times interview:

"It's a fantastic piece of work and, as far as I know, Ricky Gervais has not experienced that sort of grief, and I have. I watch it thinking, 'You have imagined this perfectly.' His insight into your life alone once your partner is gone is horrifying and I think he has imagined it. Well done."

Davies says that something may have been experienced but that doesn't mean that it has merit if the person expressing it can't write. "A sentence that has sustained me through all my writing is: 'A moment's imagination is worth a lifetime's experience.'"

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-04/russell-t-davies-writer-discusses-losing-his-husband-years-and-years-tv-screenwriter-interview/

Bad Ambassador

He was also responsible for Torchwood S4, so its not like we didn't know he has feet of clay.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bobloblaw on May 07, 2019, 01:22:08 PM
Conflicting feelings over learning that Russell T Davies is a fan, as revealed in his Radio Times interview:

"It's a fantastic piece of work and, as far as I know, Ricky Gervais has not experienced that sort of grief, and I have. I watch it thinking, 'You have imagined this perfectly.' His insight into your life alone once your partner is gone is horrifying and I think he has imagined it. Well done."

Davies says that something may have been experienced but that doesn't mean that it has merit if the person expressing it can't write. "A sentence that has sustained me through all my writing is: 'A moment's imagination is worth a lifetime's experience.'"

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-04/russell-t-davies-writer-discusses-losing-his-husband-years-and-years-tv-screenwriter-interview/

The cynic in me might want to suggest that it's possible that because the loss of a partner is something which has deeply affected Russell T Davies and is a subject that's very close to the bone for him, he's been manipulated into liking a load of hacky mawkish shit.

I would never presume though.

Dr Rock

What, Gervais imagined that it might make you depressed and hate the world? Probably a lesser talent would have imagined it all wrong.

Cuellar

I did actually write a sitcom where the loss of the main character's wife leads him to be genuinely selfless and donate a load of time and money to charity, he empathises with people who are struggling, taking in a homeless man for a while (WITHOUT buying heroin off him and then helping him kill himself), and it just ends with him doing his best despite the grief.

Needless to say as soon as I'd watched After Life I chucked it in the fire - how could I have got it so wrong!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Whether you're a fan of his work or not, I think we can all agree that RTD is capable of writing convincing characters and dialogue. I find it staggering that a writer of his calibre could watch After Life and not think it was a load of boring, badly-written shite. You can't trust anyone these days.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 07, 2019, 07:10:00 PM
Whether you're a fan of his work or not, I think we can all agree that RTD is capable of writing convincing characters and dialogue. I find it staggering that a writer of his calibre could watch After Life and not think it was a load of boring, badly-written shite. You can't trust anyone these days.

Ricky the Djervais?

St_Eddie