Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - After Life [split topic]

Started by ramsobot, February 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

Looks like Wong Kar-wai directed an episode of Derek.

jobotic

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 01, 2019, 05:21:26 PM
Owl in a trap
I can't walk out
Because I love saying mong too much, baby

Fantastic.

Twit 2

Did anyone catch his interview with Zoe Ball on R2?

It was literally this at one point:

Ball: This new show plumbs the depths of the human condition.
Gervais: Yes it does.

The way he talks about his shows in an awestruck way as if he's seaching around for the best way to articulate and encapsulate the vein of gold he has stumbled across is skin-crawlingly disingenuous and narcissistic. What a total, total, cunt.

BritishHobo

Imagine if you even can, a human being with feelings and emotions, who gets sad when sad things happen, and does nice things because he realises it feels good to be nice. Incredible, huh? I just invented it!

samadriel

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 02, 2019, 01:24:30 PM
Imagine if you even can, a human being with feelings and emotions, who gets sad when sad things happen, and does nice things because he realises it feels good to be nice. Incredible, huh? I just invented it!

I'm afraid I've just stolen your priceless idea. Be more careful in future.

holyzombiejesus

Anyone else get an email from Netflix about this? Would have deleted it but the email had a shoo in picture for the inept film posters thread. Then I clicked through to this...

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80998491?trkid=13710079&MSG_TITLE=80998491&g=12A8A11428751706653B48A55FDDD94E64529493&lkid=TITLE_TITLE&lnktrk=EMP

græskar

Btw, Contrapoints just released a fantastic new video in which she talks about our man Ricky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtj7LDYaufM

neardark

Had an epiphany regarding this. Derek was his response to "mong-gate". This is his response to "depression is a made-up illness that the rich get-gate".

chveik

Quote from: neardark on March 03, 2019, 11:16:39 AM
Had an epiphany regarding this. Derek was his response to "mong-gate". This is his response to "depression is a made-up illness that the rich get-gate".

good call.

dirkgonnadirk

i wonder how much it annoys ricky to see a steve written movie getting tons of good reviews and hitting #1 at the box office.

McChesney Duntz

Posting this here in order to (at least partially) refute the but-the-Yanks-loooove-him postulate:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/03/03/after/

Bennett Brauer

BritishHobo

QuoteYou can build a drinking game with the number of people who tell Tony how wonderful he really is. Please don't. You'll be in an alcohol-induced coma halfway through the six-episode run.

Oh, god.

notjosh

QuoteTony regularly humiliates his "human stress ball," nice guy photographer Lenny (Tony Way)

Don't worry, he does it because he's kind.

phes

Quote from: græskar on March 03, 2019, 09:35:25 AM
Btw, Contrapoints just released a fantastic new video in which she talks about our man Ricky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtj7LDYaufM

So rare for anyone with any kind of platform to call him out. Love it

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: græskar on March 03, 2019, 09:35:25 AM

I watched all of this vid. In defence of Gervais, the Golden Globe joke  "I've changed... well not as much as Bruce Jenner obvs" requires Caitlin Jenner's older identity for it to be nearly as effective. If the punchline was 'not as much as Caitlin Jenner' it might make you think '???... has she been a bit more miserly recently? because the phrasing of the joke would make you think of her over a shorter timeframe and you wouldn't be given that contrast of images in order to make the joke work. The deadnaming is not really deadnaming as such because Gervais is not directly addressing Caitlyn but rather using a former alias for the purposes of constructing a joke. To take umbrage with this to basically take umbrage with jokes. If you can't joke that Caityln Jenner used to be a man then that is something that has been taken off the comedy table which bit by bit is getting weaker all the time. It also throws into turmoil and raises inconsistencies of why should that joke should not be acceptable and why should it matter who tells the joke.

Other points in the video were stronger. The chimp material in his last show Humanity is of fairly hack quality but it is him on the defensive after getting some rather severe stick for deadnaming so there is a bit of understandableness about the nature of its quality. In regards to who does the best trans humour, personal mileage really does vary. In the great battle of Gigi vs. Gervais I didn't find the former to float my boat with whereas the latter had better delivery and was more the ticket.

lankyguy95

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on March 04, 2019, 07:12:04 PM
In regards to who does the best trans humour...
Now that's a controversial thread waiting to be started.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 03, 2019, 11:09:36 PM
Posting this here in order to (at least partially) refute the but-the-Yanks-loooove-him postulate:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/03/03/after/
Was hoping this would reflect a consensus amongst critics, sadly other reviews are suggesting it might actually be good.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm watching a preview copy of this right now. As expected, it's not as compellingly mad as Derek, it's just a boring, laboured vehicle for Gervais to express his misanthropic, small-minded, reactionary view of the world.

Fat jokes. Atheism. Nice animals. Stupid people. Nice people. Sad music. A poor grasp of complex issues.

It's a Ricky bingo card.

BritishHobo

So many things about Gervais are impossible to reconcile with his recent attempts to pretend to push kindness, but his attitude towards 'stupid people' is one of the hardest, I think. It's the most basic, shallow, high-school attitude ever.

Why can't everyone be as nice, kind and clever as me? This coming from a man who gleefully mocks and bullies anyone he perceives as beneath him.

After Life is sort of fascinating in that it's an honest expression of Gervais' confused mindset. It's a tone deaf vanity project.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Norton Canes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 05, 2019, 08:37:50 AM
misanthropic

Don't watch much Gervais and didn't realise this was one of his tropes. How does it manifest itself? (Please don't feel the need to go into specific plot details)

Edit: Fucksake. Misread it as 'misogynistic'.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 03, 2019, 11:52:51 PM

This is probably quite obvious but it's only just occurred to me that Gervais' whole cigar smoking thing is a complete affectation.  He thinks he's Ridley Scott, doesn't he?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 05, 2019, 06:14:01 PM
This is probably quite obvious but it's only just occurred to me that Gervais' whole cigar smoking thing is a complete affectation.  He thinks he's Ridley Scott, doesn't he?

Oh yes. It's just a visual shorthand for 'success,' innit.