Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - After Life [split topic]

Started by ramsobot, February 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 07, 2019, 01:24:24 PM
He was also responsible for Torchwood S4, so its not like we didn't know he has feet of clay.

He developed the story and wrote the first ep, but the series was run by Jane Espenson - the five-night miniseries Torchwood S3 is the only one that RTD was primarily responsible for.

(Not that most of Torchwood overall isn't atrocious gash that he totally approved as executive producer and whatnot.)

Enrico Palazzo

Surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Sebastian Cobb

Hat FM

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on May 16, 2019, 08:13:23 AM

just went looking on his timeline so i could retweet showing how much of a self-searching twat he is but obvs he's deleted it. can't believe he's still going on about the 'amazing reception' afterlife is getting. the king of self promotion.

Ferris

I don't know how twitter works - presumably he's searching for himself while pissed up and has accidentally posted his own name as a tweet rather than as a search term?

Cuellar

Yeah - I've almost done it myself, to be fair. I mean, I wasn't searching for MY OWN NAME obviously, but still.

Hat FM

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 16, 2019, 11:00:16 AM
I don't know how twitter works - presumably he's searching for himself while pissed up and has accidentally posted his own name as a tweet rather than as a search term?

dont think he was pissed up. he probably does it several times a day. That's how he found and responded to my tweet in which i Criticise afterlife (God forbid)

Blue Jam

Quote from: bobloblaw on May 16, 2019, 10:46:22 AM
Ed Balls

I was also wondering if this was a reference to Ed Balls Day, but it turns out that's the 28th of April...

Quote from: McFlymo on May 07, 2019, 01:39:02 AM
How does one deal with a twat, who seems friendly enough and easy going but then says, "have you seen that After Life? It's bloody brilliant" ... "Ricky Gervais just tells it like it is...."? I've actually heard real people around me say this on three separate occasions.

I was wrong about Trump, Brexit and now this... I really am out of touch with reality.

Last week a friend recommended After Life to me. A friend who usually has impeccable taste in comedy. I don't know what to think- I haven't felt this confused since a different friend who also has impeccable taste in comedy asked me  "Have you seen The Mighty Boosh? You'd love it..."

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 16, 2019, 01:02:17 PM
Last week a friend recommended After Life to me. A friend who usually has impeccable taste in comedy. I don't know what to think- I haven't felt this confused since a different friend who also has impeccable taste in comedy asked me  "Have you seen The Mighty Boosh? You'd love it..."

Happened to me the other week as well. Gave him a withering look and he dropped it.

Dr Sanchez

Was Gervais ever not a cunt?

I remember back in the Extras days when he'd guest on talk shows all the time. My dad would always squirm in his seat and call Gervais a fat arsehole. I used to stick up for Gervais, I'd assure my dad that Ricky's whole self congratulatory shtick was an act and that he was being sarcastic.

How wrong I was.

phes

Three colleagues (with comedy taste in common) were talking about going to see The Big Man in an intimate venue. I feared the worst and asked who was the big man...

Not a fan? So you don't like The Office????

I got about 30 seconds into explaining that I liked The Office but ... before realising that one way or another I was coming out of this looking like a pissy dick, and suggested it was a conversation for another time. It's probably best I just never talk about THE BIG MAN to anyone ever

kalowski

mrpupkin

Last night I dreamt that he came round mine and got all teary when I showed him my vhs of the Office series 1 and told him how me and my school friends used to quote David Brent all the time, but then after a few drinks he got all sulky and sarcastic and I decided not to invite him again.

Cuellar

Yeah, spoke with some friends who I've always rated highly as comedy fanciers and they were like 'Yeah, I  thought it was quite good. Dark, but good' I was like that 'oh god'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 07, 2019, 07:10:00 PM
Whether you're a fan of his work or not, I think we can all agree that RTD is capable of writing convincing characters and dialogue. I find it staggering that a writer of his calibre could watch After Life and not think it was a load of boring, badly-written shite. You can't trust anyone these days.

All? ALL?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poison To The Mind on May 16, 2019, 08:07:48 AM
He developed the story and wrote the first ep, but the series was run by Jane Espenson - the five-night miniseries Torchwood S3 is the only one that RTD was primarily responsible for.

(Not that most of Torchwood overall isn't atrocious gash that he totally approved as executive producer and whatnot.)

I've just realised Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who...astounding.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on May 16, 2019, 07:33:31 PM
Yeah, spoke with some friends who I've always rated highly as comedy fanciers and they were like 'Yeah, I  thought it was quite good. Dark, but good' I was like that 'oh god'

don't have friends, they always disappoint

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Cuellar on May 16, 2019, 07:33:31 PM

I fear that perhaps not as many people are clued up on the Gervais formula as we might like to imagine.

It's like dog shit on your shoe. It's fine when you don't notice it but once you do you can instantly smell it and gag.from it's awfulness.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 17, 2019, 01:06:01 AM
All? ALL?

Okay, maybe not ALL of us, but I think we can agree that RTD is a better writer than Ricky Gervais. You may well think that's like saying being buried up to your neck in hot, steaming horse manure is better than being buried in it headfirst, but let's not quibble.

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on May 17, 2019, 01:12:56 AM
I fear that perhaps not as many people are clued up on the Gervais formula as we might like to imagine.

It's a bit like when you meet relatives who are generally quite nice but who read the Daily Mail. At one point they'll say something I disagree with and I'll point out that the story they've gleaned this information from is biased and distorted. I then end up looking like some mad conspiracy theorist.

This is why I generally avoid speaking to people outwith my small group of friends, all of whom agree that Gervais is a prick who once, many years ago, produced some good stuff. I'm happy in my little echo chamber.

I know, I know, this is exactly why the Nazis happened.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 17, 2019, 01:06:56 AM
I've just realised Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who...astounding.

That, even more than Torchwood being utter dog shit for the most part, has always bothered me. Within the fictional Doctor Who universe there exists an organisation whose name derives from an anagram based on a programme that doesn't exist within that universe.

RTD is an idiot, worse than Gervais.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2019, 09:14:39 AM
over 6 thousand likes, lol

Never before has a single tweet so perfectly demonstrated the vapid, sycophantic and meaningless nature of 'likes', whilst simultaneously exposing the narcissistic and self-obsessed nature of those who tweet.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 17, 2019, 02:31:32 AM
It's a bit like when you meet relatives who are generally quite nice but who read the Daily Mail. At one point they'll say something I disagree with and I'll point out that the story they've gleaned this information from is biased and distorted. I then end up looking like some mad conspiracy theorist.

I can relate, as I've had a similar thing happen to me.  Once with my Dad and on another occasion, a friend, when I started to explain why I believe Kate and Gerry McCann covered up their daughters death.  On both occasions it quickly became horrifyingly clear that to a layman, who only knows about the case via the media, I sound like a raving conspiracy nut.

Quote from: Bronzy on May 18, 2019, 03:56:38 AM
Sex gifs

Ant Farm Keyboard

That's actual humility. He didn't use capital letters to write his name.

Ferris